US version Mondial 8? | FerrariChat

US version Mondial 8?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by 82 Mondial HP, Jun 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 82 Mondial HP

82 Mondial HP Rookie

Oct 5, 2017
    Full Name:
    henry price
    Okay, This is going to probably sound like a really dumb question. So I have a 82 Mondial 8 I assume US version. There are so many models how can I be sure I have a US version, I want to make sure I am looking at the right manuals and such while I pull my hair out chasing all the Gremlins in this thing

paulchua likes this.
  2. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    82 Mondial HP and paulchua like this.
  3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    It can be a challenge for sure.

Reminds me of my Mondial 8, while it looked like a 3 or 4 year old car (it was 11 at the time), gremlin-wise it seemed to be 30! But I did get everything sorted eventually by myself (pre-internet, no manuals nor any Ferrari techs anywhere closer than a 5 hour drive away).

4. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Do you smile every time you get behind the wheel? Are you driving it a lot? You deal with the Gremlins and then they go away and you are left with a wonderful car.

5. mustbenuts

mustbenuts Karting

May 14, 2017
    Lancaster, PA USA
    Full Name:
    GR
  6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I believe also only US versions have catalytic converters. If possible remove...gives you another 15hp I believe and opens it up.

Mechanical Dad and 82 Mondial HP like this.
  7. 82 Mondial HP

82 Mondial HP Rookie

Oct 5, 2017
    Full Name:
    henry price
    Been able to drive it once in over a year. Looks great in my garage but would take a loss to get rid of it at this point

8. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    If you would take a loss to get rid of it you just got a wonderful motivation to keep it and get it running and drive it everyday. Driving a Ferrari every day is what they were made for. It is automotive sex. It is healthy for your mind and your body. Just do it.

paulchua likes this.
  9. Mechanical Dad

Mechanical Dad Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Most websites in the states like tom vail or ricambi have only US spec fiche. I have to look at eurospares site as they have euro fiche.

10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Words of wisdom and dare I say, poetry.

11. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    No questions are dumb, it's more dumb if you do not ask :)

There is no difference between the US and Euro version other then the bumpers on some Mondial 8s they are longer for pedatrian safety and the side markers according to US legislation. That makes it also that you have extra wiring for the side markers, but I guess you can follow these wires by eye where the plugin into the harnass.

The 8 serie has no cat and fuel system is the same as a Euro, unlike the later models. To my knowledge there is only one Workshop Manual for the 8 with some extensions for the US model.

HTH

paulchua likes this.
  12. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #12 Steve Magnusson, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    US version Mondial 8 had cats (and the extra thermal insulation in that area of the chassis), air pump air injection, EGR system, and a fuel evap control system (even though both US and euro Mondial 8 have the same K-Jet without Lambda injection system that you noted).

paulchua likes this.
  13. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Hmmm, I do not see them on the parts list. Is it maybe only in specific states?
    https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v6-v8/mondial-group/mondial-8/exhaust-system.html

We have 2 Mondial 8s imported directly from the US without a cat, could have been removed of course.

14. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    My Mondial 8 has no cats and also my speedo goes to 180, not 85, but is a USA version. I'm guessing someone took the cats off though.

15. milko1969

milko1969 Formula 3

Feb 21, 2012
    Breda, Holland
    Full Name:
    Milko
    Tijn, american 8 models are less powerfull with only 205 bhp Instead of the 214 on the euro versions. Also i believe they have extra impact strutts in the doors which make them heavier. You can read it in the Book: Original Ferrari V8 by Keith Bluemel.[/QUOTE]

16. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #16 Steve Magnusson, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    The parts list for Mondial 8 at Ricambi America is for the euro version only. There is a completely different parts list book for a US version Mondial 8. This is the exhaust system of a US version Mondial 8:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login