Anyone Here Detail Their Own TR? | FerrariChat

Anyone Here Detail Their Own TR?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by xplodee, Jun 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Hey All-

I'm an avid detailing hobbyist and have been since I was a teenager and performed this service for beer money. Anyone detail their own TR? I'm curious about how people approach the strakes on their own cars, also the engine bay.

Strakes- Have you ever removed them to perform a paint correction on the areas behind the strakes? Mine could use it.

Engine Bay- as a result of the engine being so open, my engine lid lower surface (the black side that faces the engine) is pretty filthy. Any tips on products that are safe enough for all of the nearby painted surfaces, but good enough to remove a lot of the grime?

I'd like to get to a point where I have a real system for paint maintenance on my car. But before I get there I need to clean up a variety of neglected areas over the car's 32 year history.

T

2. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    i have never even washd my car yet after 2 years its spotless i just wipe down after drive and have it covered when not in use .just becareful getting water all over in the engine area

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

But how many miles have u driven it in 2 years though?
    Personally I had someone do the pint correction for me because the TR is a single coat layer if I recall and that means u got be really careful not to mess this up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xplodee likes this.
  4. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Cant say I agree with this but I respect where youre coming from. Leaving dirt on a car (and there is dirt on it even though you don’t see it, pleasures of owning a white car), is detrimental to the long term health of its paint. Granted, washing improperly is too, but its not hard to learn how to wash a car well.

The engine is also safe from water so long as you know what to cover and keep water away from. I wouldn’t suggest running water over the engine, but spray cleaners, brushing and wiping is fine.

I hope you guys wash your TR’s! Its one of the greatest pleasures of owning such a beautiful car

5. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    maybe 800 miles

6. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    but there really isnt any dirt or grime when i got the car it went through a deep deatil undercarriage etc.i just wipe it down and condiotion the seats and dash every 3 months or so and keep the red ferrari cover on its spotless ,get yours deatiled and than just keep it up also i dont drive mine in the rain or windy days got to be nice weather call me crazy its ok

7. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    i wash all my other cars reguarly i enjoy just wiping her down and than put the cover on i took her out last week andperfoerformed itilain tune up she was happy did my reg routine and put the battery tender on and covered her up

8. MGJBLKTR

MGJBLKTR Karting

Apr 10, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    MGJ
    I also had a paint correction and ceramic coating done to mine when I bought it. I worked at a detail shop in high school and college and love cleaning and detailing cars......My Yukon and my wife's Suburban really test my patience but cleaning my "toys" is a labor of love.

xplodee likes this.
  9. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I agree completely. Skipping out of work early today to shine up my toy!

10. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
  11. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

12. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I’m sure a pro would have done it sooner. Not a swirl mark or significant scratch on her. Worked on the old clear bra too. Will need more time on that to make it better still. Love her!

13. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I clean all my cars. One of the joys of owning them inmo.

rumen1 and xplodee like this.
  14. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Agree. Especially the interior - I don't let anyone else do it, as they will not be as pedantic as me and they may damage the leather or the stitching. I always buy the top quality professional products for cleaning and protecting the leather and I am afraid to let anyone else do that. As for the exterior - my car has full PPF on it, so nothing to worry about there.

xplodee likes this.
  15. MaseratiMike

MaseratiMike Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Looks great. I recently did a full blown engine bay detail over the winter on mine and got various parts re-powder coated, replated various brackets and clips plus lots of deep cleaning. I replaced various hose clips, washers, bolts and nuts to stainless steel ones.

I used a karcher steam cleaner, some industrial degreaser, a small wire wheel for the clutch housing area, hot soapy dish liquid, WD40, fine wire wool on the stainless exhaust and heat shield plate etc....

16. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
  17. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I have no idea why I thought the chrome looked nice on my car. now that its gone and the whole rear grill is black, its obvious that this is exactly how the car was intended. Beautiful.

C1C7M likes this.
  18. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I usually wash mine after every drive. I always use a new wash mit and new micro fiber towels. I wash the car, then use a blower to dry the car and get the left over water with the micro fiber towels. I do everything I can to minimize friction on the paint as you get some micro scratches or damage too easily. This minimizes that as much as possible. But with the ceramic coating on the car now it’s not as big of a concern but I still use the same process. Try to be easy on the paint surface.