Coolant Reservoir Obstruction | FerrariChat

Coolant Reservoir Obstruction

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by 308 GTB, Mar 2, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #1 308 GTB, Mar 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    By now we should all be aware of the benefits of silicone coolant hoses for the 550. Dave Helms sells the appropriate silicone hose kits and pictures obstructed original rubber hoses on his website:

http://www.scuderiarampanteinnovations.com/solutions.html#coolant

I was experiencing intermittent high water temperature readings last October so I decided to have my scheduled major service performed a month early. I had the temperature sensors and sender changed at that time. The problem, however, persisted.

The coolant return hoses to the reservoir tank were replaced several years ago with silicone hoses Classic Coach uses for their Challenge cars. The fan relay was replaced 18 months ago. That left the water temperature gauge and thermostat suspect. So I brought my car back to the shop.

The temperature gauge was OK. The thermostat tested faulty and a new thermostat was tested and installed. During installation, I asked the technician to check the coolant return hoses for clogs. The silicone hoses were clear. What we found was a partial obstruction in the reservoir pipe where one of the hoses attached. The reservoir was removed and cleaned internally.

I test drove my car extensively on Saturday at all speeds and idle times. I changed the HVAC temperature settings a few times as well and the water temperature fluctuations were within normal limits.

My 550 has had the coolant changed yearly since new with distilled water added to yield the appropriate ratio. Even with this amount of care, a corrosion clog was able to form.

So the recommended coolant hose upgrade, I feel, should include a thorough examination of the reservoir tank.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Barry- Great info and that tank is a lot easier to check than it is to change the hoses. That could cause a real insidious problem that no amount of part swapping would cure.

I assume the tank is made of aluminum? Sure was goopy in there, like the foamy stuff you sometimes see had concentrated in the tank.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Barry,

While your bleeder gizmo was a good addition I was pretty sure you had a problem somewhere else and you found it! Good Job. I think now you will find the gizmo is not needed anymore but won't hurt to have. These cars are around 15 y/o now and the inside of it does not look much better than the inside of my arteries.

4. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #4 308 GTB, Mar 3, 2011
    FBB and Terry,

Yes, the tank appears to be an aluminum alloy. Some scrubbing with baby bottle and test tube brushes and the inside of the tank cleaned up nicely. I think removal of the reservoir tank, examination, and cleaning prn should be part of every coolant change.

It was nice to see the Challenge silicone hoses not developing any corrosion plaques over the past five years. Dave Helms' silicone hose kits are a must to install.

The thermostat was a little slow to respond so it was changed. I appreciate my technician checking the new one for proper operation prior to installation.

Barry

5. maranello72

maranello72 Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2009
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stefano
    The red arrow in the last photo seems to point at the small hose from the reservoir to the top of the radiator.
    In another thread the same clogged hose caused overheating in a 456, due to the buildup of an air bubble in the radiator.
    I've better have this checked at the next annual inspection, as I'm going to have the coolant changed anyway...

Stefano

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The only cars we service where we see that degree of corrosion buildup are more than 20 years old.

I really wonder about the true water source in that cars life time.

7. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #7 308 GTB, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
    Annual coolant (Shell GlycoShell) changes mixing with distilled water from 2001-present. The first owner serviced the car at a different facility, 1999-2001

8. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #8 308 GTB, Mar 3, 2011
    This is a 12 year-old car with ~67,000 miles. The corrosion plaque, as I called it, was just that; a vegetation on the inner surface of that pipe. Peeling paint on the outer surfaces of the pipes make things look a bit worse than it actually was.

But despite its age and mileage, my car has been meticulously maintained and perhaps over-serviced with more frequent fluid changes for track events. We're careful to keep the coolant-distilled water ratio at 1:1

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #9 tazandjan, Mar 3, 2011
  10. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #10 308 GTB, Mar 3, 2011
    Terry,

Classic Coach is a Ferrari Factory authorized service facility so they use GlycoShell. We'll just have to keep an eye on this in the future. The failing thermostat was no doubt contributory. I'm just glad the problem was found and corrected.

Barry

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Barry- That is one disadvantage to using a factory facility. There is better stuff out there than a lot of the Shell products, but as long as they are frequently changed, all work fine.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

12. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Right, Terry. For me it winds up yearly coolant and transmission oil changes, and the brake fluid is changed prior to each track event.

Barry

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #13 Rifledriver, Mar 3, 2011
    You might have a point but I see cars using every brand under the sun and we do not see that. In this area we have 3 water sources. 2 of them are known to be in a handful of the purest municipal water systems in North America. Most people around here use tap water and we still never see that. We have a 130,000 mile 84 308 here right now with a cleaner cooling system.

But I know in most places the water is not as good and we do see that in cars from out of the area.

14. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Something is corroding the system. There are a lot of dissimilar metals in there even if they are aluminum mostly. The claim to fame of some of the extended life coolants is their long life pertaining to anti corrosion. Doing your own coolant is pretty easy. Why not put in a little extended life and then change it annually? Besides if you are tracking your car you really owe it to your fellow drivers to keep coolant out of the system. Just use a little water wetter and straight tap water or distilled if you are anal. Really there is not place for antifreeze on the track.

15. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #15 308 GTB, Mar 3, 2011
    I tried to describe the corrosion deposit as best as I could. And I had hoped my pictures would be illustrative. Internally, the tank was relatively clean. It was just that one particular pipe connected to the hose from the top of the radiator that was involved. It was only a partial obstruction. You didn't have the tank in hand to see this for yourself.

All the return hoses were free of deposits. And, as I mentioned, I think the faulty thermostat also contributed to my car's symptoms.

Distilled water has always been used in my cooling system. I would say that the first owner's dealership, Ferrari of New England, used distilled water too in the one coolant change that appears in his service records.

I think FBB's explanation of dissimilar metals accounts for what was discovered in my reservoir tank. It seems that this particular area of the reservoir is prone to corrosion deposits in these cars. Perhaps the construction of the tank in this area has to be investigated further.

Brian, for years now I've paid close attention to your posts and learned much about my 308 and now my 550. Your thoughts and advice stem from many years of experience with these cars. We, here, benefit much from you, Dave Helms and certain others. I've even archived several relevant threads where your advice was significant.

One of the reasons I asked my technician to check the return hoses is what you and Dave said here just last summer:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=139762286&postcount=21

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=140180282&postcount=23

I showed my technician the pictures Dave Helms posted. I think Classic Coach learned a little more this past week.

FBB, I drive my car year-round and need effective antifreeze up here in the Northeast. The tracking I do is White Group and I really don't overstress my car. It's two tons of metal that I'm driving around the track and I have to think two turns ahead. There's no safe alternative to the way I drive my 550 on the track; conservatively. I'd like to drive an intact car home at the end of the event and go to work the next day.

Even with 50/50 antifreeze and water, my 550 runs normal temperatures at the long tracks I go to. Hopefully you'll get your 550 to the track soon and see just how well the 550 behaves.

Barry

16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Those hoses have been a real problem on both the 355 and the 550 but it has in my experience been a deterioration of the hose clogging itself or a failure causing a coolant loss and not a corrosion problem.

I am still rather puzzled why the build up in yours.

17. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    I'm puzzled too, Brian. It was just that one pipe that was involved internally. The one next to it which accepts the hose from under the plenum did not show any deposition internally but was corroded a bit on the ouside where the paint had peeled.

I posted this to alert 550 owners planning on installing Dave Helms' silicone hoses to have their technicians remove and examine the tank. My pictures also serve to show what silicone return hoses look like five years after installation.

Barry

18. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    reservoir tank Image Unavailable, Please Login

Where do I re-connect the hose - from the top of the reservoir tank. I must have disconnected the hose by accident when I changed the battery. The top of the hose is connected to the reservoir tank. Where do I put the other end of the hose ? Thanks.

19. 00 550

00 550 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2009
    FL
    Full Name:
    That guy
    Its overflow hose. Goes to the ground

20. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie