Has Forza Mag run its course? | FerrariChat

Has Forza Mag run its course?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by jjmalez, Jun 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    I have a complete library of the Forza magazine. I used to look forward to receiving the issue in the mail.

I loved it when it was published quarterly. Winston Goodfellow and Keith Martin brought a lot to the table. They diluted it by going six times yearly and made it worse with eight times yearly.

I just went through my August issue. With the exception of the 275 story, nothing sparked my interest.

IMHO

:(

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. Mmckee

Mmckee Formula 3
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2016
    Alta Loma, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mike
    How much will you take for your collection?

Ps: Joke

3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Guess I should have sold my sealed Issue #1 last year. ;)

4. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I do like The Everyman article in the latest edition.

Otherwise, I've subscribed since the beginning but hardly ever read them anymore. Turns out, its the only magazine subscription I still carry (out of 5 or 6 previously).

5. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph

Yep. Went from Car & Driver, Auto Week, Playboy, Ferrari Market Letter & Forza... to just Forza.

It's kinda like my KISS record/CD collection. Have every one since the 5th grade. Buy the new releases just to keep the Kollection in tact.

:eek:

6. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I have Forza from the beginning, but I agree there is not much to the magazine. All the new Model reviews of 16M etc... does nothing for me. I whish they did more on the history of Ferrari - the man - cars etc... Prancing Horse just came out with a really very good issue ... one of the best in years in my opinion.

Just don't think there is much more you can write about Ferrari that has not been already done.....

7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The cars, yes. The people? The surface has been barely scratched.

LARRYH likes this.
  8. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    I agree that Forza should focus more on writing about everyday people who own Ferraris, and not just the race drivers and those more famous people to the brand. Most of us already know the stories.

I'm 360 Canuck and Texas Forever like this.
  9. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    It's a shame but the magazine industry is dead. Buy them while you can.

10. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I haven’t gotten around to reading the last three issues. My renewal form has been sitting on my desk for over a month.

11. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    The US print magazine industry has been hit harder than many other territories, but the print magazine industry is not dead. It's a very mixed situation: many titles have folded, including famous ones, while in Europe there are paradoxically more print magazines registered and on sale than there were 10 years ago. Lots of these barely make money or lose money, but there are thousands of profitable magazines around the world. There are also more car magazines around than there were 20 years ago, although it's also true that none of them make the money they used to.

Some magazine titles are actually growing, and new titles are launching - I work for one media house, Conde Nast, and was recently in Hong Kong launching Vogue there. We are launching other print titles also. I also own a profitable print magazine of my own, which is growing in circulation and revenue and profitability. (So far!!)

Print also supports a brand. Blah print magazine (hypothetical example) may not make much money, but its existence benefits the creation of the Blah hotel or whisky or event (think of Cigar Aficionado or Wine Spectator).

Many people don't realise that for many print magazines outside the US, the main revenue stream is advertising, not subscriptions or sales. In the US in most cases subscriptions dominate, which affects the economics of the industry there.

So while many magazines have died and others are suffering, it's not true to say print magazines are dead, and some are growing.

Jack-the-lad, gt4me, anunakki and 2 others like this.
  12. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I think you have just planted the seed of the Ferrarichat magazine..because nobody knows these owners better than this forum does!

jjtjr likes this.
  13. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I wasn’t aware of the situation in Europe.

I can assure you print in the USA is going the way of Blockbuster.

It pains me to say it as there’s nothing better than flipping thru a great mag or finding it at home waiting for you. I used to subscribe to at least a dozen. Now, just Cavallino and the Prancing Horse.

GatorFL likes this.
  14. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    That's a shame, Anthony, and I understand why. Fewer resources mean magazines are thinner and less interesting, meaning fewer readers, meaning fewer resources , it's a vicious circle. I don't buy many of the magazines I used to buy. But on the plus side, the digital revolution means we can have this debate right here.

There must be room for a really good global Ferrari magazine. There are some good Porsche ones, and they are doing well (and selling in the US). I haven't found a Ferrari publication I love, yet.

15. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    I'm done with Forza. Renewed lasr December for the time. The magazine content is half what it used to be and of little significance to the history of the marque. I'm down to Cavallino and they consistently produce an excellent product.

16. isaydingdong

isaydingdong Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2014
    ny
    Full Name:
    Sy Sperling
    Forza Magazine ran its course 10 years ago.

17. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    Same here I won’t renew Forza again. I started with the first issue even have a photo credit from one of Brian Cralls articles, but it just doesn’t interest me anymore. I will stick with Prancing Horse and Cavallino and that is about it.

18. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    I have all the Cavallinos and most of the Prancing Horses. I subscribed to Forza it's first few years, but not since. They're in a box somewhere.

19. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  20. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I have fallen out of contact with all print magazines. Haven't had any of the Ferrari mags. in quite some time.

21. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    How many mags does a relatively niche marque need? I’m surprised there’s more than 1, honestly.

How many does Corvette have, as a comparison of a marque with a much larger base?

22. vroom

vroom Karting

Sep 9, 2007
    Pasadena
    How is FML? Is it still a good resource if someone is interested in a 550 coupe or Barchetta?

23. tonyswfla

tonyswfla Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 2, 2007
    Florida
    I think its a dated system

butcher likes this.
  24. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Forza used to be good, but now its not so much. From time to time I will buy a bunch of mostly Euro Magazines, like Octane. Motorsport, Classic Cars , Evo Etc. I usually find something of interest, Ferrari or not. I have always like the British style of writing , as well as with the Motorcycle mags.

Thank you

25. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I'm a big magazine fan. I've been reading and collecting car mags since the early 60s, so I'm always gratified when I walk into a newsstand in the UK or on the continent and see so many great titles, especially in automotive interests. Sadly, the great American titles, Car and Driver, Road & Track, Motor Trend, Autoweek, Automobile, are all pathetic skeletons of their former selves, and the prospect of anyone starting a new one seems remote, if not non-existent.

I'm 360 Canuck and Texas Forever like this.