Non Hybrid Stradale | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Non Hybrid Stradale

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by SoCal to az, May 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Electrics are not that quick at higher speeds and the batteries run dry very quickly at such speeds.

2. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    When new the 275 was not a popular car. Even the convertible version of the 275 an American request from Chinetti sold only 10 examples with a further single car built for Europe. The Lamborghini Miura was the desired car with it's engine behind the driver and wild styling. The Daytona was a further disappointment in 1968 when Ferrari did not introduce a mid-engine model to compete with Lamborghini. It would be a further 3 years before Ferrari finally relented with a mid-engine 12 cylinder show car. Plus there was a further 2 year delay until 1973 in starting production of a 12 cylinder mid-engine model. What in fact led to the greater value of the 275 GTB was it's smaller build numbers than the Daytona plus in the eyes of many it's better styling. As for the Daytona at first it looked like a 275 GTB as shown in the picture. The only real visual difference was the addition of dual headlights and tail lights plus a bigger glass area for better visibility.
    The profile of the SF90 Stradale is similar to the Pista but that is were any design similarity with other Ferrari models ends...

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Yes. An electric motor yields maximum torque at zero rpm.

4. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Yes that is beginning to happen. The Battista by Pininfarina has the pedigree to be a true high-end exotic electric. And they claim it not only have great quickness, but also a top-end of over 200mph. The latter claim is particularly impressive since the Tesla while quick from 0-60, quickly ‘ran out of gas’ at higher speeds.

Solid State likes this.
  5. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Top speed isn't important in anything other than a race car on a few select tracks.

I'd rather have low speed gains/trade-offs over 200 mph top speeds. I reach probably around 200 mph regularly in airplanes and the most appealing thing about it is that it reclines the plane back and helps me doze off quicker for the short connection after a sleepless trans-ocean flight. Gokarts at 30 mph are more exciting than the Autobahn at 200 mph.

6. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    You can easily reach huge speeds on European motorways; it is exciting and slightly scary.

7. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    Just started a new thread in old V8 section.I have heard a couple of whispers that there will be an F8 Tributo VS.
    I assume that will be the car we are pondering here !

8. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Just about every single device with an electric motor I have owned has failed and was replaced as they were not repairable. AC compressors, washer/dryer motors, attic fans, house fans, hair dryers, vacuum cleaners, electric windows, electric sun roof (moron award cutting a hole in your roof), power antenna, electric tooth brushes, electric drills, car starter motors, electric pop-up lights, etc. The winding(s) heat up and then burn off the dielectric coating and they short. Or the crappy sleeve bearing wears and then seize. Many have actually caught fire. Even the ball bearing motors in outdoor air conditioner blowers fail.

The issues are vast and these products are not robust in harsh environments. Especially heat. Heat kill electric motors. They don't like temp cycling either. Whoever said they last for life I wish was with me two days ago when I replaced my rotor-shorted 3/4 horsepower ball bearing garbage disposal.

I will say again, 4-corner torque vectoring is the future for performance and imitating it mechanically in the rear wheels with an ICE- hybrid is a short lived fill-in. No one will care about them after the 4-motors. Read up on the Rimac solution and the Battista implementation as an example. Batteries are the Achilles heal and there is no Solid State solution coming before you are too old to drive. Maybe just go back to the electric cars on the track with no battery just an electric field buried in the road to supply the motors like the child's toys decades ago. Four electric standardized motors and the difference being weight, steering, suspension, supplemental braking, aero and styling. And, off course, social media apps if that's your thing.

ekovalsky likes this.
  9. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Yes but now you can have both.

10. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    #110 gzachary, Jun 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    Hi Noone1,

In the spirit of contributing information, I just received my Pista last week via air delivery. The weight on the manifest, including packing from the factory, was stated as 1393 kilograms (3065 lbs). The delivery price was based on the weight, so the delivery company's incentive is to probably quote higher. Ferrari states on their site that the weight is 1285 kilograms. I don't know how much the packing weighed as I wasn't there, but the car was rail delivered from the factory to Milan in a secure package.

Also, my Pista did have options that added to the weight like front lift, leather (Alcantara feels like screeching nails on a chalkboard to me), jbl hifi, etc, that my guest some kilos to start to close the gap between Ferraris stated weight and the manifest. So my guess is that is <3000 dry weight.

11. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I'll take a 600HP, roughly 3000lb range NA powered sports car over any of this *. Who needs or uses (safely) 1000HP on the street?

Rhetorical of course. These are expensive ego-strokers, not cars to be driven. They are to be owned (and shown).

* yup, the Scud and 458 Speciale are most recent Ferrari's that I'll consider owning.

Roland1688 likes this.
  12. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Sport Auto just tested their Pista, looks to be all the lightweight stuff based on the video of the interior. Weight was 1480 kg.

So yeah, no way they were going to actually deliver a wet 3000 lb car with 768 hp. It would need a completely composite and bare bones option list to get anywhere near 3000 lbs.

13. cridom60

cridom60 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2007
    France
    Full Name:
    dominique
    Mclaren Senna! 1350 kg and 800 HP, simple.
    Just imagine a LaFerrari without batteries... and twin turbos: v12, 1250 kg and 1200 hp!! a dream.

14. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    A nightmare for some. Nothing beats a N/A V12!!! The hybrid system filles the torque at low RPM. A win-win situation.

stavura and jpalmito like this.
  15. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Hope next Ferrari hypercar will have more or less the same engine power ( V12) but with 1350 kgs ( with fluids) ,
    It would be quite an achievement.

cridom60 likes this.