2019 488: Before and After | Page 3 | FerrariChat

2019 488: Before and After

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FordGTDriver, Mar 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    They look like steamrollers in person :)

Reacherman1022 likes this.
  2. midengine

midengine Karting

May 7, 2007
    Do they affect the ride, handling, or acceleration since they are so much wider than the stock 305 rear ?

3. FordGTDriver

Jun 9, 2007
    Ordinarily, the heavier tire would most certainly have a performance penalty. However, because the wheels are so much lighter, the car feels more responsive under both acceleration and braking. The larger rear footprint also means that I see the traction light come on less often.:)

As to ride, lighter wheels allow the suspension to perform better as well. The lower aspect ratio of the tire, however, will always make the ride more stiff. I don't really feel it, because the roads are smooth in my area. I also use the Bumpy Road setting when I am just cruising.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the upgrade, but I certainly wouldn't recommend the 20/21 upgrade where the wheel tire package is heavier than stock (which, most of time, it would be). In my mind, it makes no sense to sacrifice performance on a exotic car in the name of bling...we got plenty of bling already :)

midengine likes this.
  4. kevin1244

kevin1244 Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    KAA
    was there any spacers added behind the wheels or manufactured to spec?

5. FordGTDriver

Jun 9, 2007
    manufactured to spec; this is one of HRE's strongest selling points, IMHO

kevin1244 likes this.
  6. kevin1244

kevin1244 Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    KAA
    Agreed. I have purchased HRE from TAG group before; manufactured to spec for my Merc Black Series. Both HRE and TAG are great.

FordGTDriver likes this.
  7. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Those wheels make this car look incredible. I’d buy a set for my wife’s spider but she doesn’t care and she’s probably ruin them. :eek:

8. FordGTDriver

Jun 9, 2007
    Yep, one rub on the curb and it would be off to the looney bin for me. I bought my wife a Porsche Cayenne GTS, and she had curb rash on all four wheels within a week. Doh!

APPLECO1 likes this.
  9. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Think the originals look better but bet one drive with the lighter HRE’s could convince me otherwise. Gorgeous either way.

10. FordGTDriver

Jun 9, 2007
    #61 FordGTDriver, May 4, 2019
    Last edited: May 4, 2019
    Thanks! I tend to agree with you; my default is to go with factory equipment whenever possible. I once heard it said that custom wheels do nothing for a car but make it looked second hand. I can't say that I disagree.

However, in some RARE cases, there are aftermarket mods that really do make a difference. Losing weight is one of them, especially unsprung weight, and even more critical, rotational mass. So, the net benefit of the HREs is that a person 1)significantly enhances braking 2) enhances throttle response and acceleration; 3) allows for a much bigger footprint (or contact patch as it is sometimes called) and 4) allows for an atheistic change a little more personal to the owner.

Regarding aesthetics: Maranello has to satisfy a plethora of non-performance related requirements when they release a car to the general public. I've often thought that because of warranty and safety issues, they have to build the car for delivery to the lowest common denominator of consumers (which is, ahem, quite low indeed). Case in point: ride height/front bumper height. Take a look at Ferrari's 488 brochure. The images are, of course, delectable. The ride height on these brochure cars is "in the weeds" (as the hot rod crowd would say) and the wheel offset is completely flush. Now look at the cars as delivered; they look like SUVs with big gaps and the wheels tucked way inside the body. Why the difference? Obviously, Ferrari knows what looks good on their cars, but they can't deliver them to the public that way. Its sort of like the Dodge Demon that has all the race parts, but they don't come attached to the car.

Having said all that, the fact remains that many aftermarket suppliers lack the engineering prowess of the OEM suppliers, so I generally use great caution before putting anything on the car that wasn't blessed by the factory. (In the case of my Ford GT, I completely lost my mind and put a twin turbo system on it, but that turned out to be the best decision I ever made. The car is a monster but drives like a stock Mustang around town.)

In the case of my 488, IMHO, the lowering and the Pista rockers make a huge cosmetic improvement. But, beyond lowering the center of gravity, it is purely cosmetic. The wheels compliment the package, and thank heaven, improve performance. If Ferrari offered a wheel as light as the HRE with a flush offset, I would be all over it. Aint gonna happen any time soon, however.

11. GWat

GWat Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    USA
    I am in the process of having my rockers installed. The shop just called me to say they have to trim the under tray . Did you have to do that?

12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    How much more understeer has this new front to rear width bias added? The 488 has some understeer from the factory, so I would imagine putting a 355 section tyre on the rear would add significantly to the "push" the car exhibits.

Do you still have 9x20 front rims with stock offset, or have you chosen a wider rim up front and a different offset?

Looks nice thought..

13. FordGTDriver

Jun 9, 2007
    Sorry for the slow response! Yes, trimming was required to the belly pan. Quite minor, however.

14. FordGTDriver

Jun 9, 2007
    I would predict terrible understeer when tracked, given the massive additional footprint of the rear tire. I stopped tracking my Ferraris a long time ago, however. On the street, I simply can't push hard enough to notice any deterioration in handling dymamics. I would NOT recommend this setup for track use, despite the fact that the wheels are lighter. For street use, I'm in love ;)

15. FordGTDriver

Jun 9, 2007
    GWat, do you have any pictures of your car? I'd love to see them with the Pista rockers installed!

lukeb817 likes this.
  16. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  17. Alex@TAG

Alex@TAG Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Feb 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex@TAGMotorsports
    Really looks stunning!

We love running the 245/355 setup. We were able to get our hands on a few sets of Trofeo R 355/25/21 and we’re looking foreword to doing a few pista’s on 20/21’s and Trofeo’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. spyder625

spyder625 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2017
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    looks fantastic...

19. GWat

GWat Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    USA
    Thanks!

20. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Not sure I understand the reasoning. If you do that combo, you are not doing it to track the car. And if you are tracking the car, why would you add both a lot of understeer as well as a larger diameter rear, which will result in a longer final drive ratio?
    And lastly, why would you cruise the streets on Trofeo R tyrds? The MPS4S, MPSS and even the P Zero is a lot better suited for that.

Not trying to rain on your parade, but I can't wrap my head around the advantage of using Trofeo R tyres for this on a Pista.

Doing a 20/21 combo on a Pista, I'd say it would make a lot more sense to use 265/35R20 and 325/30R21.

Just some thoughts

21. Alex@TAG

Alex@TAG Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Feb 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex@TAGMotorsports
    If you look at the vehicle above as well as quite a few other 488’s that both we have done as well as HRE, it is a pretty common setup to fit the 355/25/21 on the back.

The Ferrari 458 and 488 have a very advanced traction control systems so the systems really need to have the correct OD. Also the front fender liners of these cars are tough to accommodate the taller 265 front tire you recommended. It will rub on turning which can be solved from trimming but it’s not an ideal move honestly.

The overall goal is to get a meatier tire on the back to put some more power down using a 13” wide wheel in back and 9” wide up front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

midengine likes this.
  22. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    From track experience, I'd say the 488 does not need a meatier rear to put the power down. If you try that it will understeer way too much out of every turn you try to power out of. The 488 would generally benefit from more front end traction bias, so I stand on my statement that a 355 will add way too much push and understeer.
    Yes quite a few 20/21 setups has been done, and so has 21/22. I've yet to see anyone run such a setup on a track though.

You mention the diameter being of importance. That's true. I wa wondering if the system will actually handle a 28" rear, seeing that stock is 27.2"
    I remember back when so many started putting Speciale wheels with Speciale tyres on their 458's and they all had problems with the TC system.
    The original front to rear diameter bias is 1.5%, but that 20/21 combo is 4.5%. A 3% addition in front-to-rear diameter difference is pretty significant for an ESC system.

23. GWat

GWat Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    USA
    lukeb817 and FordGTDriver like this.