Battery Tender - Stupid Question | FerrariChat

Battery Tender - Stupid Question

Discussion in '360/430' started by cole328, Jun 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Hey guys...when I took my F430 Spider in the other for some routine maintenance, I told my indy that I thought it was time to add a tender to the car(never had any issues, and drive the car weekly),as I wanted to avoid any issues going forward. Anyway, he's a great guy, and after addressing the minor issues, simply left a quality tender in the passenger seat.

Sooo.. the question is, did these cars already come wired for the expectation of the tender (i.e., the wire was already installed in the passenger wheel well by the factory?) thx

scott

2. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    It has a provision but only for the stock Ferrari charger. You can just connect directly to the battery like I did.

3. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    There is a connection for the Ferrari tender under the dash next to the glove box on the right

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If you cannot get the special ferrari plug to connect to the installed socket, you can pick up the cables behind the seats- this will give you a cable sticking out you can connect to- a lot easier than connecting to the battery in the foot well

5. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    This is what I did. Works fine.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

6. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    You can check your owners manual as it differs from year to year.

Mine is a 2006 and it has an Amphenol connector in the trunk as battery charging port.
    It uses the old super big battery charger.
    The advantage to this method is you will see an indicator in your display that the battery is connected to the charger.

On later year models there is a battery charging connector under the dashboard on the passenger side. So check your owners manual.

On mine, the previous owner installed a CTEK Charger but I read stories here that the old CTEK chargers are unreliable so I purchased a new battery charger and it works great. My new NOCO battery charger came with a battery charging leads that hooks up directly to the battery terminals.

The battery charging leads are tucked under the passenger side dashboard.

Another option as others have mentioned is to install the battery charger cable leads right behind the driver seat for easier access / hook up & removal.

Your option.

Dan

7. espvh

espvh Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2005
    NEW YORK!
    whatheheck likes this.
  8. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
  9. espvh

espvh Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2005
    NEW YORK!
    I don't know about that, I use the mus 4.3:
    "Once the battery is reconditioned it is ready for charging, and once fully charged can be kept plugged into the MUS 4.3 endlessly. CTEK’s unique “maintenance” will never, ever boil a battery — a distinct difference between CTEK and traditional trickle chargers. Leave a trickle charger on too long and you will destroy your battery; leave a CTEK on for a month and when you return your battery will be 100% charged, ready to go."
    https://www.gadgetreview.com/ctek-mus-4-3-test-charge-battery-maintenance-system

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  10. Fenz

Fenz Karting

Nov 8, 2018
    Team Europe
    Caeruleus11, Need4Spd and whatheheck like this.
  11. MJGinTX

MJGinTX Karting

Mar 30, 2019
    Noblesville, IN
    I did it this way as well - very easy

Need4Spd likes this.
  12. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I posted parts details a show to make the cable in the 599 section.

13. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Or follow the thread on this forum and make your own: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/yabtp-making-the-battery-conditioner-connected-light.347563/ I made my own to adapt to a Granite "Save a battery" battery tender.
    Or cut to the chase and go to Warren's website with all the same info: https://www.kumari.net/index.php/cars/ferrari-battery-charger-cable/diy
    Warren will also make and sell you one directly.

14. AZDiverDLR

AZDiverDLR Karting

Sep 7, 2014
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dave Rowley
    +1 for the CTEK MUS 4.3. I used one on my F430 for four years and never had any battery issues. Same charger is now doing great job on my 458. Highly recommended.

espvh and Caeruleus11 like this.
  15. azzurribaggio

azzurribaggio Formula Junior

16. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Tied to the ignition is a good thing, it prevents you from driving off with the cord connected. Cables are available from Warren, terminated to connect to the battery tender of your choice, or you can make your own, he gives you all the instructions, part numbers and sources. I made my own, very easy.
    https://www.kumari.net/index.php/cars/ferrari-battery-charger-cable/diy

whatheheck likes this.