Removing rear wheel hub: what is that cable connected to it? | FerrariChat

Removing rear wheel hub: what is that cable connected to it?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by DanielGA, May 31, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    I have engine out and I am removing rear suspension and the main hub. There is a rather rigid cable going to the back of the hub (one to each wheel). Is this a speed cable or related to hand-brake?

In any case, how do I disconnect it? I want to take control arms away to change bushings, etc.

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    you have to remove the rear wheel rotors, disconnect the of the cable from the hand brake shoes, and pull the cable out the back. Take good pictures and good notes or you will not remember how they go back together.

4. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I just worked on my suspension and here’s what I did:
    - disconnect the E brake cable where the left and right cables meet the hand brake cable. (In front of drivers rear wheel)
    - at each hub pull the heavy cable housing away from the hub(helps to have someone pushing the cable you disconnected in step one)
    -once you have enough slack, wiggle inner cable left and right til it comes out of the brake shoe)
    -Done
    now putting it back together this way requires patience and two people

Ps if you pull the brake caliper watch those pesky shims

5. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    Thanks! Got the wheel and cable removed!

Yes, those pesky shims fell off on me but the other wheel/caliper is still in place so with that one I can be more careful and double check the shim placement and count.

Thanks all!