Ferrari SF90 Stradale : picture and news thread | Page 30 | FerrariChat

Ferrari SF90 Stradale : picture and news thread

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by maha, May 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #726 boxerman, May 31, 2019
    Last edited: May 31, 2019

We agree they have to manage it. But the way they mange and expectations going forwards will be different. Lesser resale over time is not the same thing as poor resale.The buisness model of making cars as garage queens to drive occasionaly to the country club, and dont put miles on because it hurts resale is unsutainable if were looking at more models and more volume, which we are.

10 years from now, like 360s these will just be used cars. The superceded 2x 500k F90 will be a 100k car. Its pretty much the 488 model we see already.
    As to reliability and longevity. Since the 430, annual maintanance cost has dropped in terms of build and belt changes, yet wear items like Cf brakes are exhorbitant and these high cost wear items are now part of the ferrari ownership cost. The electrics may or may not be reliable, batteries will for sure need replacement at some point.

In fact since the 430 pretty much every new ferrari has had its 5 year warranty and then a big used cost to maintain with any mileage, plus a a concurrent drop in value as the model is replaced. Yet ferrari sales continue to grow.

The'yre managing their Brand just fine.

The free cost of 1-2 year ownership for those "on the list" is whats going to change, but it seems there are plenty of buyers anyway. With rare exceptions(speciale vantage V12), new cars are depreciating asetts, not investments, anyone who thinks different is buying a bubble..

As to whether the elctrics will make cost of long term ownership too high, I would argue that the electric hybrid as we see here is a dead end and a mistake, its allure will wear off once the real costs are seen and its real performance limitations are apparent to anyone already, but hey the paper metrics are what 99% are interested in anyway.

I do think a simple electric flywheel to fill in the dips in power/lag and tq from the Ic engine is a good way forwards, relatively light simple and good for fuel economy, the rest is gimick,to make 1 hot lap, looks like new tech, and may appease some euros, in other words the type of buyer this car is aimed at.

The only question for me is whether Ferrari will also make a core divers car you can actualy buy, the ferrari of 600Lt,Gt3 if you will, otherwise its just an expesive vette to me. Speakign of which the new Me vette, its going to have twin turbo v8 with hybrid, a version with 1000hp. IMo its fine for ferrari to make such a car too, but does this car, hanging its hat on F1 and brand equity make ferrari relevant to serious drivers, i woudl argue not, and thats why we have seen the growth of other brands.

True performance has been democratised, but ferraris real loss is in not making at least 1 core drivers car you can actualy buy. Fortunatly with the new direction i think they will fill as many niche as they can within the high end performance market.

2. tinnes

tinnes Rookie

Jul 3, 2011

Actually the first accesible hybrid is the Honda NSX, launched 3 years ago. Similar battery /engine config...3 batteries and a V6 compared to 3 batteries and a V8, although the Honda is not plug-in so has a more limited all electric range.

3. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    Makes perfect sense what you say here. If it is difficult to swallow for future SF90 owners will be much dependent on timing. The F8 Tributo and the SF90 are more or less launched at the same time (1st halt of 2019) with the latter expected to have a regular 4 year run. I think when the F8 will have at least 3 years (maybe even the full 4 years) in production then with the introduction of the Little Brother we are already not far off an replacement for the SF90. So the SF90 is already old news by then, giving the customers a reason to get the new car which by then also gets the tech upgrade like the LB. Of course everything said above is just speculation.

4. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    And in the absence of a prancing horsey brand must have it crowd, sells like crap,because its not particularily apealing and heavy.

5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Or theyre hedging their bets. 10 years on the f8 will have desire the F90 will be old tech.

C50 and 500tr like this.
  6. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Yeah you may be exactly correct. I think the questions is why didn’t they use the modular system that has the batteries in the floor...? I am guessing it’s due to needing batteries to improve. I would imagine the large box o’ batteries behind be driver is easier to replace than batteries under the floor.

of2worlds likes this.
  7. Doug23

Doug23 Karting

Jun 23, 2017
    Italy
    My understanding is "hybrid" as chassis composition (mixed alu/cf) and not necessarily as hybrid powertrain.
    However the picture isn't full reliable: it shows a front-engine layout with a V12 ahead of the front axle

crinoid and of2worlds like this.
  8. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    #733 G. Pepper, May 31, 2019
    Last edited: May 31, 2019
    That simplification has caused many to not understand the concept.

9. red passion

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    The whole story with the modular platform is very contradicting and confusing. Several years ago when the topic appeared for the first time there was talk of one architecture which is suitable for all kind of engines and front-mid + rear-mid layouts. I think that is also what you are referring to. As you mentioned the Portofino might be the first on that architecture. However, and there it already started to get strange to me, they never officially presented the Portofino architecture as the modular one which will now be the base for all the upcoming cars (at least I didn’t hear or read something on that matter). Now at last year’s capital market day the talk was about two separate architectures (one mid-rear and one mid-front) which contradicts the assumption that Portofino an SF90 are based on the same architecture.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Do you have some insides here?

elmadi and crinoid like this.
  10. red passion

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    The picture is of course a simplification. However you can see the fishbone-style arrangement of the batteries, which is in line with the registered patent for battery modules.

https://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/mosaics?CC=US&NR=2018006282A1&KC=A1&FT=D&ND=3&date=20180104&DB=&locale=en_EP#

11. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    You’re right. I just spoke to dealership today. Around 525K US base.

Thecadster, F2003-GA and SoCal to az like this.
  12. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Ok it is true what you say about two architectures and that is a nice Ferrari speak to justify the vast difference in price between the Portofino and the SF90. However both models originate from the same platform that can be configured as front mid-engine or rear mid-engine layout. There is a cost saving for Ferrari in developing all new products on this versatile platform.

As for the future there are two coupes and two very different ME models. Also the Ferrari so called SUV makes it's own place in the expanding line up to.

13. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Ferrari 308 Vetro F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    I’m sure it will, wait 7-10 days

14. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
  15. jeffmoore

jeffmoore Karting

Feb 19, 2011
    I was at my dealer today and he told me 375k euro ex taxes. I said i doubt that (based on info here on fchat), but he told me he heard this from Ferrari directly....

F2003-GA likes this.
  16. jeffmoore

jeffmoore Karting

Feb 19, 2011
    This rear window looks different (nicer...)

Thecadster, tekaefixe, OneD and 2 others like this.
  17. red passion

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    Seems that you have some insider knowledge here. Could please elaborate on your statement that the two ME models are VERY different. So what we know so far is SF90 (Top of the range model delivering supercar performance with V8 hybrid) and Little Brother (F8 successor focused on maximum fun to drive with probably a V6 hybrid). Thanks.

18. ZorroPlateado

ZorroPlateado Rookie

Jul 29, 2013
    UK
    If the rear window looked like that I would have had my cheque book out on Wednesday evening at the launch.

Thecadster, C50 and kandi like this.
  19. ZorroPlateado

ZorroPlateado Rookie

Jul 29, 2013
    UK
    And that is how the design director drew it.

jamesdouglas1436, jm2 and of2worlds like this.
  20. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    As you note one ME is a V6 while the other is the LaFerrari replacement. Two very different cars.
    Also if you like that SF90 is 'out there' design wise then the future looks promising with this new design trend.

red passion likes this.
  21. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    New issue is expected about mid June - this is what I have read online.

of2worlds likes this.
  22. Doug23

Doug23 Karting

Jun 23, 2017
    Italy
    That's right. In the picture they represented an hybrid chassis with an hybrid powertrain, but I think the two features could be independent and the main goal was to illustrate the chassis materials.

Inviato dal mio BAH-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

23. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    Matches what I heard...450k base with tax...if you do 375+20% it is spot on

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

F2003-GA likes this.
  24. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I think maybe you’re mixing a couple of different things. That graphic I posted of the Ferrari chassis architecture can be either front or rear mid engine and either CF or aluminum and either with or without batteries in the floor. I see what you mean by the graphic but the concept makes sense.