Any issue running my car for 2 track sessions back to back | FerrariChat

Any issue running my car for 2 track sessions back to back

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by SCKOMS, May 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Hello all. I have registered myself and my 26 year old son for a track day on Sunday. We are running in 2 different groups as this is his first time on track. Our groups are running 20 minute back to back sessions. Is that going to be to hard on the car? Should we each skip a couple of runs?
    BTW the car is a 2006 430 spider. Annual service is being done as I type this including Castrol SRF brake fluid. Brake pads are Carbotech and have 1 track session on them.
    Thanks in advance for the feedback.
    Spiro

Sent from my Galaxy

2. doug_porsche

doug_porsche Karting

Dec 6, 2009
    Trying 2 find myself
    Full Name:
    Doug
    #2 doug_porsche, May 30, 2019
    Last edited: May 30, 2019
    My first concern would be brakes.
    Being that one (or both) of you are a beginner, you will either be very easy (maybe) or very hard on (probably) the brakes.
    First sign of a spongy pedal, cool down lap time.

Second concern, temps. Keep an eye on both the oil (very very important) and water (very important) temps.

Next, tires. Street tires tend to overheat when pushed, lap after lap. The tires will start to feel "Greasy", cool down lap time. Hopefully someone will give a recommendation on tire pressures.

Remember to give the car a lap or two of cool down before you bring it in at the end of each session.

Keep an eye on consumables.
    Tires wear quickly. Brake pads, surprisingly so. Fuel (Its amazing how quickly you can go though a tank of gas).

Lastly, being caption obvious here, keep hydrated. As a cute OR nurse told me once.... If your not peeing, you need to drink more water. I know this is not car related, but....

Rembrandt, Ira Schwartz and Shahaf like this.
  3. innerloop

innerloop Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2010
    Houston Heights, TX
    What he said. Also be sure to keep an eye on oil level and brake fluid level. Not necessarily because of running back-to-back, but more because of the total run time.

4. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    Brakes aside, if you are new to this it's likely that the stress on you is more of a concern than the stress on the car. Take a single session first, see how it goes and if you feel up to it stretch into a double.

5. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Just to clarify, I'm running a 20 minute session first (my 6th track day) , then my son is running a 20 minute session immediately after (no track experience), so driver fatigue shouldn't be a problem.

6. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Thanks....how cute was she??

7. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    Got it! Then the response from doug_porsche pretty much covers it all.

SCKOMS likes this.
  8. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    No issue and need to skip sessions. 20 minutes isnt long at all. I've run my 458 Spider in three 60 minute sessions per day for two consecutive days at Sebring. The biggest problem is overheating the brakes, but that happens during a session and has nothing to do with running back to back sessions.

What track? Different tracks are harder on brakes than others.

9. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Autobahn Country Club in Joliet, IL...south track

10. bellwilliam

bellwilliam Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2014
    which Carbotech model?
    We use minimum XP10 on a Miata, most run XP12. on turbo Miata (220whp on 2,200LB) we run R18 (G-Loc,close to Carbotech XP20).
    on a F430, I would say XP12 is the absolute minimum for an intermediate driver with a heavy braking foot.

btw, back to back don't really hurt the car. you always want to keep the car moving to cool of components. it is a bad idea to come in hot and park the car anyway. your in lap from first session and out lap from session after is good enough for temp to come down.

11. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    XP 10 on rears and XP 12 on fronts

Sent from my Galaxy

12. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I take my son with me occasionally. I drive instructor and he drives novice. never an issue but usually at least half hour apart though. done it with audi s4, nissan gtr, giulia q4. ambient/track surface temps will be factor too.