Ferrari SF90 Stradale : picture and news thread | Page 28 | FerrariChat

Ferrari SF90 Stradale : picture and news thread

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by maha, May 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Was thinking the same. A lot of engineering in this car went into the drivetrain so maybe just incremental change to the chassis.

DRYHOLE and red passion like this.
  2. TomLikesCars

TomLikesCars Karting

Feb 27, 2019
    Ireland
    Full Name:
    Thomas Harris
    of2worlds, Vertix, F2003-GA and 4 others like this.
  3. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    It’s likely the car will look better in the flesh. From the photos you could put any of the Exotic brand stamps on it. Up until this point when you saw a Ferrari on the road you knew immediately that was what you were looking at. Now I’m not so sure. The Ferrari design team has gotten away from that “uniqueness.” As long as the driving experience doesn’t fade away it’s all good I suppose but the ghost of Pininfarina should be summoned next go around imho before Ferrari becomes “just another sports car.”

Senshi458 likes this.
  4. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Is the stripe optional on the Fiorano pack?

5. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    There is a piece of information which was provided by “Scraggy” back in April:

The timing part certainly was not correct but what about the rest?

of2worlds likes this.
  6. TSOYBELIS

TSOYBELIS F1 World Champ

Nov 30, 2005
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    SPYROS
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/146636194/

Mr Manzoni himself uses the world spaceship. I understand that fchatters (and loyal owners) that had seen the car, inspired by a private chat with him. Just a guess.

of2worlds and G. Pepper like this.
  7. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I would guess that it works like the spoiler at the back of the LaFerrari, continuously juggling between downforce and drag.

8. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Ferrari 308 Vetro F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    Again, I’m sure, sold out end of next week...

9. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    It seems that he was referring to the SF90 all along, but the info was incorrect.

10. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Maybe Sergio Marchionne put a lot of pressure on the team to deliver a really usable hybrid car pretty quickly, ( before 2020 )
    So they have no choice but to adapt the " old " 458/488/F8 platform in order to be ready according to the plan .
    Maybe they perfectly knew they needed two or three more years to be ready with the innovative
    Chassis ( the modular one ) ?
    LB more advanced project than BB ?
    Difficult to swallow for future SF90 owners .

11. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    What makes you say that,over and over..

12. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I admire what he is doing but he needs a reality check when it comes to design.

At the end of the day no matter how superior any car is technically or performance wise it still comes down to the visual design. I'm sorry but IMO his car looks like a bad kit car project cobbled together out of design cliches. It's an admirable idea but the aesthetic execution is a flop. Either he isn't listening to his design team or he needs to find another one.

Napoli likes this.
  13. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Ferrari 308 Vetro F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    So much interest. Car looks fantastic in real, and the technical part is incredible!

stavura, crinoid and Lukeylikey like this.
  14. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Actually I don’t think it was. Manzoni specifically used the same ‘spaceship’ term last night in his presentation. They wanted the car to be a cross between a spaceship and a design with historic references.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  15. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    NO this is the new Portofino modular platform that can do front engine or mid engine designs with 6, 8 or 12 cylinder engines. It is not a re-work of the 458 platform. The SF90 is the replacement for the V8 ME series that has gone up market in content and price. No more V8 as the so called little brother is a V6 priced in the range of the current F8.

16. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    I get that ,but with no price announced yet ,and 'normal' production i really can't imagine it selling out so fast.

17. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Again apologies if I missed it but when are deliveries due to start: Q2/20 or later ?

18. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I took a lot of photos of details last night, here are some of them, I’ll try and post a few more. My conclusion is that this is just nothing like previous and especially recent mid-engined Ferraris, save for there being a loose family look and the basic dimensions of a mid-engined V8 are obviously there.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

spyderman, TheMayor, mkultra and 12 others like this.
  19. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    and yet with that said and I am not saying I disagree with your assessment but there is another group that think the SF90 result is beautiful and a winning design. If the car sells well anyway then the design issues are mostly a scholarly disagreement that has negligible effect on the bottom line profits.

20. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Thanks a lot !
    Carbon parts fit and finish looks average ..

21. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    nothing less than the automotive interpretation of Salvador Dali art...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

elmadi and day355 like this.
  22. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    There is a lot of interesting sculpting on the car, more cab-forward than F8 and the others, and the rear three-quarter is styled quite differently. Manzoni did a live drawing of the lines of the car in the presentation. He started with the glass, which is quite different to before and influences much of what goes around it.

You could criticise it for being busy on the photographs but that wasn’t really my overriding feeling. I loved the middle and rear of the car, really loved it. But the front I’m less keen on. I think I will steer away from the red. The grey car looked stunning and all the 15 or so people I knew who were there felt the same. Even long-time RC devotees were saying the grey is the colour, and I agree. The Asserto Fiorano pack was absolutely beautiful and very very hard not to order. I heard a rumour it will be £30k which means orders will probably be north of 90%, can’t see why you wouldn’t.

This is a very easy car for me to order, though I hope they don’t go mad with the price because customers are being asked to take a risk on how well this tech will work in terms of new car ownership and used car ownership - the ‘R’ word. The front looks better in grey and I would probably try to spec the car’s colour scheme specifically to address that area. Wow, can’t wait. But I also think we will have to, for a fair while.

23. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
  24. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Makes sense.
    Playing with one modular platform will allow ferrari to spin off "new" cars with regularity. Maybe a few will even be classics. Of course with volume and model proliferation resale will suffer, but then flasley protecting resale is what alienated so many and allowed Malcaren porche, aston et al to garner a significant slice of the growtrh in the exotica market, a market ferrari used to own almost exclusively.

Ferrari has now abandoned the 10k car limit, taken a good page out of porches book, modular platforfms with multiple iterations serving a far wider market segment. I juts hope they make some core drovers cars too.

This F90 needs to be veiwed in another context too. FCA is way behind on the elctrification game. At 500k a pop, the F9 pays for a lot of electrification and battery experise at FCA, somthing they will need for their entire car line. Think of ferrari as the self funded tech R&D department for FCA,

Frankly Im really happy ferrari is abandoning false resale and just building cars, maybe well see somehting great to drive someone of relative means can actualy walk inot a dealer and buy. The future series ones with resale will be the really good ones, youll need actual driving/automotive taste to pick them out, as opposed to just buying the badge, or playing dealer hedgefundian on the list games.
    Theyre a buisness and being smart, not least because they are staying within their high end turf, not runing the brand down the value chain, producing a range of cars and with enough production to satisfy demmand.

F2003-GA and of2worlds like this.