360 - Ferrari 360 Major Service video: How to change the Engine and Transmission Gearbox Oil | FerrariChat

360 Ferrari 360 Major Service video: How to change the Engine and Transmission Gearbox Oil

Discussion in '360/430' started by spiderscott, May 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    I'm mid way through doing the Full Major Service on my 360 including Timing Belts - Cam Belts
    Thought I would share the entire Step By Step process of performing the major on Video.

Here is Part 2: Changing the Engine & Transmission Oil

Also posted in the tech section

2. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Haven't finished Part 1 'Cam Belt Change', just waiting on a tool to arrive tomorrow.
    Part 3 will be all the other items in a Major (or Annual Service) Filters, Fluids Coolant, F1 & Power Steering, Spark Plugs, checks etc etc

Hope it helps

imahorse and flash32 like this.
  3. Mercedes

Mercedes Karting

May 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Orlando mercid
    Awsome video and step by step explanation tips and tricks.love it.
    Maybe you can also do one for the ac.dryer replacement

Sent from my SM-A600T1 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

RANDY6005 likes this.
  4. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Scott, I'm no pro, but I'd add blowing out the lines for the oil cooler (see WSM snip below). I never actually measured the amount i blow out, but bet it yields an additional 1/2 -1 ltr oil. -ray

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I'm 360 Canuck and spiderscott like this.
  5. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    what a great forum ;) Thanks!

spiderscott likes this.
  6. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I would be willing to bet that in street cars, that little bit from those lines matter very little since the entire system holds upwards of 12 qts. with filter. That is one step I did skip when doing my oil. My car has been driven so little in the past year since I had it tore apart for a couple months, may do it on my next annual.

imahorse likes this.
  7. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    May be correct especially since I’m using the same oil and only has couple k miles on it. I always do it. Wonder if the pros here do it? I’m about to do my next oil change I’ll specifically measure the volume retrieved from it.

Iirc I usually need 10+ quarts, and Scott got 9.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  8. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I measured mine, It was right above 9 quarts, but it took a little over 10 to get it to the "max" mark.

I also replaced both plugs and and did not have the nerve to tighten them to 75Nm (55 ft lbs)...It just didn't feel "right".

9. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    that just shows you have good mechanical common sense. This point has been mentioned on this site many times.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

10. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Just finished filming the Timing Belt Service on my 360
    I've done the video step by step as DIY as possible without the need for very expensive tools. Hope its good and easy to follow.

11. RacerWannabe

RacerWannabe Rookie

Jun 8, 2021
    Full Name:
    Jerry l Railsback
    Retired engineer and track mechanic here. I've owned and/or maintained so many exotics I've lost track.
    My thoughts on 360 gearbox oil changes.

The manual talks about removing fittings in order to blow them out with compressed air.

Working on flexible lines in any car >10yrs old has the inherent risk of inducing new leaks, either from the line or the fitting. Don't tempt fate unless it is really necessary. Blowing air through the lines for 10 or 15 seconds will gain you next to nothing. A much better method is to simply level up the car and leave it sit overnight with the drain plug out. The capillary effect that exists between adjacent oil molecules is higher then that between the oil and the metals in the gearbox casing. That means that with gravity alone it is possible to get virtually every drop out if you want to wait long enough. Even an hour or two will leave an insignificant amount of oil behind.

The manual also talks about inspecting the filter screen.

I have inspected dozens of the types of screens. The only time debris was found was on gearboxes that were already know to have a problem, either because of noise or some functional issue. I have yet to find anything in any screen from a gearbox that was operating normally. By the time you would see anything in the screen, the party is over. And yes on a 360, you must remove the entire rear bumper assembly to access the screen.

(All fanatical purists should avert their eyes from the next paragraph)
    By skipping the filter inspection and disconnecting of lines, you turn a 16 hour job into a two hour job. You can access the drain without removing anything else. 2.9 liters out. You can access the fill by removing the drivers side louver panel inside the wheel arch. 4 screws. Be careful because it is probably brittle. 2.5 liters in, check the dipstick. Start the car and run the car through all the gears then top up the oil.
    If you feel you must lay your eyes on the filter screen, it is fairly easy to use a mortising drill bit (hole saws make ugly holes). and drill a hole in the side of the diffuser to gain access the the screen. Size your drill bit to correspond to a standard size furniture plug. No one will ever suspect a thing.

I am partial to Redline 75W90NS.

s1owcoach, kes7u and Qavion like this.