Montana registration crack-down | Page 13 | FerrariChat

Montana registration crack-down

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Terence Courtnage, Oct 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    They provide you with the ability to pay for their $200k/yr retirements.

tonyswfla and Daddy like this.
  2. bcorner

bcorner Karting

Aug 25, 2017
    I purchased my car in Florida. Paid the taxes without any reservations. If I change my residency to ga. I’m expected to pay them again. And it’s based of the purchase price, not the current value. How is that fair?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Actually it is not based on the purchase price. We went through this when I moved to GA 7 years ago. Had recently bought two cars while living in Florida and paid the sales tax there. Georgia tells you the value of the car, and you pay the TAVT based on that. The number for the Camry we had was actually higher than we paid for the car when it was new a few months earlier. It's a real pain in the wallet.

Texas Forever likes this.
  4. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    the GA system is a mixed bag....

if your moving here you might want to look at selling/trading in your car and buying a new one as your paying the TAVT regardless. but once paid the plates/reg is $20 or so a year.

favors long term holders.

5. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I assume your statement wasn't made in jest. Generally, road taxes are (or should be, IMO) based on usage (like, for example a gas tax...the more you drive, the more fuel you consume, the more you pay into a fund that goes towards road maintenance and construction). However, arguably, the fuel taxes ($0.25/gallon?) are so small that they haven't kept up. There may also be toll roads that are like hidden taxes, for example.

Or, then there's the problem of misallocation of resources, waste and so forth that I don't plan on getting into.

But, many of us also pay property taxes on real (and personal) property to pay for things like roads and other services. And, then there are sales taxes on top of those. And, income taxes or other infrastructure taxes, too (check your water, electric, sewer, telephone, cellphone, internet, cable or other invoices if you doubt me). And, I could go on and on.

The general problem, however, is that Governments, by virtue of the fact that they allocate resources through a political process, can't do their jobs with the amount of funds they receive. This is an overly-broad statement, so it's not absolute. But, it does serve to illustrate the point that many of their "solutions" to shortfalls are more taxation.

IL is currently going through death throws over it. They've raised taxes to the point people are leaving the State, which means that there are fewer left to tax (and FAR fewer high-earners). So, raise taxes more? It's just a spiral down to further insolvency. States need to learn from other's mistakes.

CW

bcorner, randkin, BT and 1 other person like this.
  6. Daddy

Daddy Rookie

Jun 4, 2018
    Sounds like you're talking out of your ass, as usual.

It's amazing that every patsy repeats a variation of the same exact same talking points. You guys are like preprogrammed robots.

7. bcorner

bcorner Karting

Aug 25, 2017
    I was told that because they had no value history on the car it would be based off the sticker price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

8. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    In Massachusetts the yearly excise tax goes into the treasury of the town where you live and register your car. Every year we have a town meeting and vote on various budget items. Typically the "goods or services" provided are schools, police and fire, public works, library, etc. ....... you know, all the things you enjoy in a free society. And the best part is if you don't like it you're free to move to Montana.

pilotoCS likes this.
  9. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    " . . . . if you don't like it you're free to move to Montana."

^^^^^ this ^^^^^

10. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    This a great deal for Montana, they collect your taxes (aka fees) and don't have to provide you with a damn thing.

Their biggest nightmare is if everyone from out of state who registers their cars there actually move there. The crush of people will force them to raise registration fees and taxes! :D

11. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Could be for an exotic / obscure model car. They used some database for the typical vehicles for sale. We paid $21,500 OTD for our car new, and the TAVT was based on $23,000. It's kind of a ripoff, but if you don't switch cars often it is tolerable.

:D
    BT

12. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    Good example of “Deadweight Loss”...and the loss is MA’s,innit? It’s counter-productive,inefficient,dare I say stupid,arrogant,authoritarian,prissy,finicky,dare I say dumb,abusive.
    Lots of states property rules,and taxes,are flat out of context,illogical causing many unnecessary choices and decisions that should be appealable,on some reasonable grounds. Upping sticks just goes outside the bounds,but MA can be ok,crowded,and MT is very nice,big,sky.So there’s that. CheersRE

13. Preston Joslin

Feb 14, 2019
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Preston Joslin
    Solution: register the Ferrari in Montana and garage it there for a few months out of the year then send it back to Carmel.

14. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    North Georgia and western North Carolina should last at least through my lifetime with small government ideals (that's my hope anyways).

:D
    BT

bcorner likes this.
  15. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    And oh..a click off tangent,but Shirley related..NY GuvCoumo ‘‘twas complaining about all these hi-earners moving to “Montana” and taking their nice 1099s and w2s with them...now that the irs has put a lower cap on SALT...all those prop/tax rates are gonnabite some where they live and park,huh.
    Guess his Econ professor at Fordham didn’t stress the deadweight loss issue loud enuff..or I dunno,maybe he dropped his pencil,didn’t hear that.
    Gotta pay those garbage folk and teachers..and retirees,no question. Amoung others...cheersRE

16. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Like usual LOL. Join date 2018 and 7 posts. Made my morning!

carnutdallas and Nospinzone like this.
  17. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I remember many years ago hanging around in a small town outside of Boone, NC. It was votin' day. Every now and then, one of the men would get up and go over to the court house, presumably to vote. But not everybody. Frankly, it was a waste of time. Everybody knew who would win. In fact, for the longest time, liquor by the drink was illegal in them mountains. Church folks didn't want it. Moonshiners didn't want it either.

Ps. No women voted.

Hoodude likes this.
  18. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Ok, you two, break it up.

2-day thread reply restrictions for both of you to assist in the cooling off.

All the best,
    Andrew.

bcorner and BT like this.
  19. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Back on the topic I will chime in the following;
    In Florida I see countless of Montana plates no one seem to care...
    When I’m in Cali it’s a crime...
    For living in those 2 states I personally think,without any politics involved, that California is in dire need for money and us as citizens get little for the extra tax we pay living there: the roads, the parks etc are all in better shape in Florida...

That crackdown makes little sense to me. Are those company offering to create a llc and register ur car in Montana illegal? Is it legit? If yes why not !? Where does the illegal border begin?
    https://www.49dollarmontanaregisteredagent.com/montana-registration/exotic-car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

It is totally legal to create an LLC in Montana and register your outrageously expensive cars there with no sales tax. But if you want to take them home with you to your home state outside of Montana you may be in for grief. Is that so ****ing hard to understand. That's why the real Big Boys store their cars in Montana. Ship them to a show and ship them back. I know where these cars live in Montana.

21. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Maybe California needs to stop paying their public workers more than specialized physicians. The salaries and pensions they pull down are not sustainable. You reap what you sow.

22. Natkingcolebasket69

No need to curse lol

23. Natkingcolebasket69

Agreed——-I am only back temporarily back in California and moving back to FL: real estate , taxes are not sustainable here... google
    Already built a huge data center in Nevada and lors firms
    Are moving to AZ. Agree with u

24. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Statistics are a funny thing.

How do those percentages look based on Gross Income and not AGI?

25. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    VAT would be a nice replacement for income tax, but our government will never give up the income tax racket. It offers too much money to waste, and an endless opportunity to play the populace against each other.

randkin, EastMemphis and kes7u like this.