Injection calibration and service | FerrariChat

Injection calibration and service

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by sebackman, May 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sebackman

sebackman Karting

May 19, 2010
    Europe
    Dear all,

I just got my 400i injection system calibrated and a broken warm-up unit re-built by Geert Jan at "http://www.ferrari400parts.com/" . Super service and very friendly so I thought I'd share here.

Best regards

//Rob

1980 Ferrari 400i Spyder (Straman)

2. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    Aside from the warm-up regulator, what symptoms were you experiencing that caused you to need this calibration/service?

3. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Rob, What is meant by calibration? Do you just mean adjusting the %CO at idle? What else is involved.
    Ken

4. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Once the k-jet is calibrated all you have to do is adjust the CO & idle speed and the whole system should be working perfectly. System pressure should be checked under hot/cold/WOT conditions, and what is the most important for the engine : all the injectors should spray the same amount of fuel, as you do not want one cylinder to be lean. If the system is not perfectly balanced you can make it do with a slightly rich adjustment, but having an injected car that pollutes and smells like carbs sounds like the worst of both worlds...

As a side note on the k-jet, the CO is adjusted on the whole range (not only idle), and unless the car has the nipples on the conveyor (or a cone shaped disc sensor), the engine is supposed to be slightly lean at mid throttle. As a personnal choice I do prefer to have it slightly rich at idle in order not to "starve" the engine at mid throttle (slightly rich at idle, normal at mid throttle, slightly rich at WOT instead of normal/lean/normal). Also as we are adjusting the whole curve, we can tune the car for fuel blend of "lesser" quality (as long as the refurbishing kit is compatible with ethanol blends).

5. sebackman

sebackman Karting

May 19, 2010
    Europe
    Hi,

Just as raemin points out there are several adjustments in the actual fuel distributors and the warm-up regulators that can cause odd behaviour. The Bosch system is entirely pressure driven and if the control pressures are off it is difficult to get them running well. Now I know that my units are well in spec.

With the corrects pressures the only thing to worry about is CO/HC and idling. Both processes are well described in the work shop manual. I have a 4-gas analyser for the CO and have built a simple syncro device with a vacuum gauge to set idling on both banks.

As raemin, I also set the CO to as high as the legal requirements alow me at idle. That will be a bit rich at low RPM's but fine at higher RPM's.

Mine did run uneven on the right bank due to a faulty warm-up regulator. That is probably normal after 40 years and I think the high level of Ethanol in the fuel over here does not help in these cars that normally are driven sparsely.

I will also remove and clean the injectors to make certain they are fine. I did exchange them for new ones a few years ago. They are the same Bosch units (exactly the same Bosch part number) as in some Mercedes models of the time and the ones via the Mercedes spare parts chains are significantly cheaper…

I also had a problem with hot fuel returning to the tank in the amount that they eventually got warm with the effect that the left bank started cutting out. I hope that may be cured now. After some hours driving the tanks got up to about 50 degrees Celsius on a warm day. Not good.

I have not put back all the bits yet, but that is what weekends are for . I will revert back with feedback once in place and started.

Kind regards

//Rob

6. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    "Resurrecting" this old thread, Ferrari400parts.com seems down with all its valuable parts & technical tips...

I am looking for a pressure test tool compatible to the 400i (with Banjos and long hoses). Also looking for the k-jet nylon hoses. Any alternative supplier for these?

7. pattorpey

pattorpey Rookie

Oct 16, 2016
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Pat Torpey
    I used a cheapo ebay kit similar to this one:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Fuel-Injection-Gauge-Pressure-Tester-Test-Car-System-Pump-Tool-140PSI/133504099543?epid=25040459585&hash=item1f1576e4d7:g:eek:moAAOSwVFZfR28k
    I have some pics somewhere of the setup, if that would be of assistance. Worked fine, helped me identify a cold start problem (turned out to be due to the filter in the WUR being blocked). Quality of the tester kit is not great, but it did the job fine.

raemin likes this.
  8. pattorpey

pattorpey Rookie

Oct 16, 2016
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Pat Torpey
    Forgot to say that I also got some tubing from Ferrari400parts.com, but I had researched this and I am fairly certain that the original fuel lines are Nylon 12, or Polyamide (PA 12) (which is the same thing), readily available from many suppliers in metric OD sizes. I did not manage to get a source for banjo fittings to match the 400i, and Ferrari400parts could only supply some of the sizes I wanted to have as spares.

raemin likes this.
  9. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Verrel at http://unobtaniumsupply.com/ sells kits for various Ferrari FI hoses, including a tool to get the hose onto the banjo; it is not easy!
    Ken

10. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Geert Jan dropped me an email "Hello, We stopped with the sale of these products. Kind regards Geert Jan" . Bad news...

As far as the fuel lines are concerned, I just need to fix the plastic line that connects the distributor to the tank not the lines between distributor and injectors. So I'd rather replace these two tubes only instead of the full set (21 plastic lines is much more work!). Any idea on the diameter? These do seem bigger than 6x3mm (regular injector lines).

11. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    The big lines are also easier to fit onto the banjo's.

12. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
  13. Freddie328

Freddie328 Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2013
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Hi, just seen your post. Has Ferrari400parts.com completely gone? If so, do you know who bought their inventory?

14. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    They do not have any inventory left. Yet the parts they were providing can be sourced from alternate suppliers. I do miss however the excellent instructions.

Plastic hose and fittings : CohlineUK (for the hose references see https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/the-platers-magic.313401/page-2#post-140325060)

K-Jet gaskets : search for Savox rebuild kits (ethanol compatible)
    K-Jet pressure valves : https://www.deloreango.com (fixes hot start problem)
    K-Jet Manuals : https://k-jet.biz/rebuild-manuals/
    K-Jet pressure test : available now on eBay

ATE Brakes : https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/rebuild-rear-brake-calipers.449537/#post-143402109

15. Freddie328

Freddie328 Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2013
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Ah, that's a shame. Any idea where the airflow meter sensor plates were sourced? i seem to remember they had several sizes for sale.