Anybody Recognize This? | FerrariChat

Anybody Recognize This?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Il Steeg, May 26, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Il Steeg

Il Steeg Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I just moved my 1988 Cab out of the garage, and my eyes gravitated to this item that was on the garage floor underneath the engine area. Odds are high that it came from either the Mondial or my John Deere lawn tractor/mower, since they are the only two vehicles that regularly on that side of the garage. Don't know why I noticed it or how long it's been there... The graph paper is in centimeters, so it's almost exactly 1 centimeter square by about .5 centimeter tall. Looks to be made of brass (just a guess from the color) and appears to have the remains of some kind of thread lock (a blue material) on the threads....

Anybody know what/where it's from...? Thanks in advance for your help - I'm a little hesitant to head out anywhere until I know what's going on... I hope it's NOT from the Mondial, but pretty sure it must be...

Thanks,

Il Steeg
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    #2 moysiuan, May 26, 2019
    Last edited: May 26, 2019
    It looks a bit like a cage nut for the bolts that hold the Mondial's interior engine access cover to the body. But I don't recall those having a nyloc insert, but maybe they do. It fits in a little spring metal cage and moves about a bit, and allows the panel to not be perfectly aligned for the bolt to catch the nut. Sometimes if someone aggressively is pushing in the bolt, it can push the nut right out of the cage. That nut is probably unobtainable, big $$ :) I don't think I have seen the nut used in any other spot on the Mondial.

3. Il Steeg

Il Steeg Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Thanks, Moysiuan!

Do you mean the access panel that is behind the back seat - the one you use to reach the spark plugs/front side of the engine?

Thanks for the clue - now I at east know where to start.... Dave

4. Il Steeg

Il Steeg Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

and PS... I don't think there's a Nylok insert... That blue stuff appears to be some form of ThreadLock....

5. Il Steeg

Il Steeg Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

...and the person aggressively pushing on the bolt could only be.......

....me.

<derp>

6. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Yes, the spark plug /front engine access panel. It is held on by a bunch of screws (hidden in the carpet behind the seats when you fold the seats down) and on top under the leather that is velcroed and pulls back for those screws. It is my best guess, so if you are going to remove the panel, time for new spark plugs to make it worth the while just in case it is a John Deere part!

7. Il Steeg

Il Steeg Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Yes, I've done the spark plugs, and yes, I'm sure it must have been me who pushed this nut loose....

Thanks again.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't the 'famous' Automatic Self-Destruct Prevention Nut, the absence of which would cause my car to explode violently as soon as I took the car out for a drive....

8. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    I think the self destruct feature was introduced on the later 456...

Mark C Harvey likes this.