Do they make a portable and wireless trickle charger for those with no outlets? | FerrariChat

Do they make a portable and wireless trickle charger for those with no outlets?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by MVDESQ, May 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    My friend lives in a high rise and there are no outlets near his spot. Is there a portable trickle charger he can buy that can be plugged into car and then he can bring to an outlet inside once in a while to recharge it? Thanks.

We both tried some Google searches and didn’t find much.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    I put battery operated starters in all our work vehicles. They have a several outputs that could be used to trickle charge.

You could also use a large computer UPS to drive a trickle charger, and they come in many sizes. Pricey for the very large ones (and heavy) but they should do the trick.

One example: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077YDWR3Y/?coliid=I3J418171QVDXN&colid=2I87SFLR09JC2&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

3. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    Not a bad idea but don’t those things beep the entire time they are not plugged in?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. innerloop

innerloop Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2010
    Houston Heights, TX
    How about one of those big jump boxes on wheels like they use at the auto parts store? The consumer level ones come with 12 v power outlets, I don't know if the bigger ones come with 110.

5. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    On many you can turn thar feature off

6. sahn44

sahn44 Rookie

Aug 29, 2019
    New York City
    Full Name:
    M. Sahn
    I have this same problem with multiple cars parked in communal condo parking garage. If I run an extension cord to my car to charge up a battery overnight, I get **** from other residents, people unplug it, creates a bunch of hassle for me - all for consuming $0.50 of power in a building where I pay 10k+/year in condos fees.

My solution now is a portable power station and a smart charger that I hook up to "top up" the battery periodically as needed. Under $200 for both. I can plug in and leave it and it will fully charge the battery then go to maintenance/trickle and will still be powered on when I go to disconnect the next day. Not as easy as a permanent trickle charger, but the best I can do in the circumstances.

https://maxoak.net/products/bluetti-eb40-400wh-300w-portable-power-station
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZCXDQSP/
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Mirek and vraa like this.
  7. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    I would try to use e
    dual batteries like in a boat: one deep discharge battery that feeds the accessories, one for cranking that's only connected when needed. The cranking battery can actually be quite small, and even more if the car is parked in a warm parking.