Help please 812 drill free plate mount | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Help please 812 drill free plate mount

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Scraggy, May 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    Ok. So, in the interests of being thorough, I have now obtained the following:

• Carbonio no-drill mount (that hooks onto front grill with spring loaded hooks/clamps)

• Ferrari and Maserati of Vancouver’s (FMOV’s) wonderfully designed and engineered aluminium/alloy, black powder coated no drill mount (that attaches to the front spoiler (not the grill) and can sit lower than the front Cavallino and pose less risk to airflow disruption than the Carbonio mount). It is a lovely piece of kit (but needs a slight resizing of the front plate for UK purposes).

• Three different sized stick on plates that (from a manufacturing perspective) meet UK legal requirements and have the required BSAU 145d kite marks displayed in the correct place. I think my third one went as small as you can legally. It is similar to @Wheels1 example in the photo above. Just a question of hoping the steeper inclined central part of the front spoiler is sufficiently vertical to comply with the display regs.

If any lucky 812 owners in London want to take a look at the various solutions above that I have obtained - let me know. I think I will fit the smaller of the three stick on plates for now (while I get the FMOV front plate laser cut to UK size). The FMOV solution was $370 Canadian dollars including costs of shipping express Fedex to UK. I dealt with Milt Cumming in the Service Team there. Very accomplished and professional service. Photos of the FMOV plate mount to follow in a moment.

2. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    #27 R J, May 15, 2019
    Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

The FMOV no drill mount photos as promised. Very nicely made piece of aluminium/alloy equipment.

The front plate it 295mm Wide by 142mm High. I am planning to cut the height to 111mm (UK standard plate height - or you can drop to 95mm with no border). That will sit the plate well below the front Cavallino badge. Will post some more photos when I have had the front plate laser cut to UK height.

ajr550 likes this.
  3. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts

FMOV looks a good solution.

R J and yamashek like this.
  4. marky1

marky1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    How is the Carbonio solution. Do you have any pictures of it mounted on the car that you would be able to post? Thanks.

5. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    Will get some photos of that over the weekend. It is simple 5 second process to fit and remove, but I didn’t like where or how it sits on the grill. If you place it centrally, and as low as possible, it still partially obscures the Cavallino. You can sit it to one or other side - possibly best solution for the Carbonio mount - but then you risk (I assume) airflow disruption to the various ducts behind the grill.

I know some are great fans of the Carbonio mount. And it is certainly the easiest to fit and remove - very convenient. But unless you need the convenience of five second fitting/removing, it was not my preferred solution. Probably subjective based on the very positive comments I have heard from others.

6. marky1

marky1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks that would be great. I actually bought the Carbonio one but haven't received my car yet. I thought it could be adjusted quite a bit so that the plate actually sits quite low on the front but to be honest I can't see how it can be adjusted, the one I received doesn't look like it can be adjusted for height other than just choosing where you put it on the grill. I am tempted to buy the one from Canada.

7. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts

I agree with those comments.
    Carbonio is OK but the FMOV looks better if plate will stay on car all the time.

8. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    FMOV is still easily removable - but takes 5 minutes rather than 5 seconds. And you need a couple of tools (allen key with hex head (supplied with the plate mount) and a Phillips screwdriver).

9. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    FMOV are currently costing manufacturing a front plate mount for the UK market — in the appropriate size for the UK market. The more orders they receive, the cheaper the unit cost. If you are interested in acquiring one, let me know and I can let Milt Cumming of FMOV know how many UK plates might be ordered. He will then supply me with a cost that I will post here (I will copy and paste his email). Anyone who then wants one for the UK market (or other market but want the same size) can reach out to FMOV and place your individual order. Let me know. Many thanks.

10. Jasper333

Jasper333 Rookie

Jun 1, 2017
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I would be interested RJ.
    My car is arriving next week - have been waiting over 2yrs!!
    Have a Carbonio holder coming but this sounds like a better fit.
    Thanks for looking into this for us.

11. marky1

marky1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I’ll take one too as discussed. Cheers

12. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    Great. Do you have a preference as to the size of the front plate? UK Standard size is 520mm long x 111mm high.

I would be inclined to go a bit smaller — 330mm x 95mm. Let me know what you think, and I will get Milt to cost the size. He would prefer to cut all to the same size to make it easier for him (get some economies of scale).

13. Foxmod

Foxmod Karting

Jun 17, 2012
    Midlands, UK
    Full Name:
    David
    I'd like one too please - — 330mm x 95mm, PM me once you have details, although my car doesn't arrive until next year!!

Dave

14. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    Assuming smaller size accommodates a regular UK plate I will take one.
    Carbonio and position I have it is growing on me but it would be good to have the option.

15. KNOKKi

KNOKKi Karting

Jul 20, 2015
    Amsterdam
    #40 KNOKKi, May 25, 2019
    Last edited: May 25, 2019
    As Trax and Wheels1 suggested, just buy a sticker: saves weight (if I see the material I think it easily saves you a few hundred grams), better aerodynamics, aesthetically more pleasing, cheaper (295$ makes me laugh), less work, less easy to remove if they steal your car. Why the hassle?

16. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    Because driving and parking in central London every day it is good to be UK legal to avoid a fine !

350MH83 likes this.
  17. KNOKKi

KNOKKi Karting

Jul 20, 2015
    Amsterdam
    OK, I cannot judge about the situation in UK (especially not duuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrriiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnngggggggggg Brexit), but I guess the police in UK has the same interest as in the Netherlands and that is to make sure that ur plate is visible cq readable by officers, speed cameras etc. I have been driving with stickers in Europe since the late nineties and never had an issue and I think that is because my stickers are as clear as regular plates. In other words, have you ever received a fine in London for driving with a sticker? If so, you have indeed no reason to stay within the EU!

18. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    The smaller size will accommodate a regular plate. I currently have the Canadian size - 295mm x 142mm. I was just going to have that cut down to 295x95. The front mount is powder coated aluminium so is sturdy enough to hold a regular plate of 520 x 111 if you prefer that to a smaller plate (but with characters of the legally mandated size). It has multiple fixing points if you want to bolt the plate on. Or you can just use 3m tape.

19. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    Congrats on the imminent delivery. I picked mine up in early May (2 years and 2 months after ordering (although it arrived at dealer in April)). It is a stunning car. Truly exceptional. Just a bit big with a galactic turning circle, which makes it less than nimble around tight London streets. Once off the tight, congested London roads, it is majestic.

Will come back to everyone once Milt of FMOV confirms pricing.

20. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    OK.Let us know the size they will make the UK batch in and I will order.

21. marky1

marky1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I need a standard UK size unfortunately. Can’t get a Gibraltar plate in the smaller size.

22. marky1

marky1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Sorry read this after. If the smaller size will still accommodate a standard size UK plate that’s fine for me. Between fixing points or tape should be ok.

23. Jasper333

Jasper333 Rookie

Jun 1, 2017
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes the smaller size would be good thanks.

24. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    Below is the latest email from FMOV. Looks like they can only build to the following size 290mm x 110mm. If you still want to go ahead, please email or call Milt directly to place your order (his contact details below). He says he can have them ready to ship by end of June.

—————————
    Email from FMOV:

“Looks like it will be 290mm x 110mm. Our supplier’s research shows it is the most common size for the European market. The aluminum stock they are using is pre-cut and cannot be altered. The mounting holes can! If you have any suggestions let me know. I have a couple of days before the order is finalized.

Milt Cumming
    Parts & Service

Ferrari of Vancouver 1860 Burrard Street, Vancouver, BC, V6J 3H1

T 604.215.8778 F 604.215.0600

E [email protected]

25. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    I have the Carbonio on my Portofino and works well. But I’ve been too afraid to take it off so far. I live in London and drive around SE England, mostly

What experience have others had with no front plate.. I know you can be pulled over for it, but do the cops bother?

£60 first time fine... what about after that?

Also, can parking wardens fine you for this? I assume not but that would be the more relevant risk

Thanks!