1960's Slotcar track & cars.... | FerrariChat

1960's Slotcar track & cars....

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by spirot, May 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    So I have elderly parents & I'm an only child. We are making a life decision and moving them closer to us here in Atlanta which means my folks will be leaving their home of 60 years. Its a hard painful decision. But recent medical events show they cant stay in their PA home by themselves and if they want to live on their own they have to be much closer. All that means that we have to pack up their home.

My father has been collecting cars & models for 60+ years and has a huge collection of Vintage Slot cars & a 58Ft race track in their attic. I need to "do something " with it and since I don't have any place for it at home ... I'm wondering if anyone here has a want or desire for something like that. Its in period of mid 60's and over the years has acquired a patina - but with a little work could be an amazing looking slot car track. its done with strombecker track, and is decorated etc... some of it is old and tired looking but with a little effort it can be a stunning usable track. very fun to race modern slot cars on it.

as for the old slot cars - they are in several huge totes, lots of very nice bodies and chassis... I'm lookin to sell these at some point. So I though I'd post here and see if there was any interest? if so - please PM me. I'll post pics soon.

2. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    holy moley...I grew up on strombecker, and moved into scalextric, had over 50 cars once upon a time.

let's talk, though. I defintiely have interest in the cars/bodies. (I have that Ferrari, BTW, it was my fathers, along with a few other cars)

sjd

3. ThreePedalSteve

Jul 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Steve Ham
    The scale appears to be 1/43. Confirm?

4. 1Superleggera

1Superleggera Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2011
    North East
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Tom, Please tell your father that I think his slot car track is amazing. It is obvious that a lot of time and passion went into building it.
    You could have him choose which car is his favorite so that you can save it as a keepsake.
    In this modern digital world it is less and less often you see so much effort and personal creativity expressed in physical form.

5. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    I love that pit area - friend of a friend in the UK knows about vintage and would be interested if more local does not work out

6. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    1:32 scale.

7. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    I used to love lot car racing as a kid...and my white Chaparral took the checkered flag often. Very cool setup there.

8. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Those Ferrari cars looks super cool. How much ?

9. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    no - 1/32 / 1/24 all sizes.

Lusso123 likes this.
  10. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Ah ha... thanks for the correction. Some looked too small in photos to be 1:24, but then in some they did look that large. It's a big, and impressive track.

11. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    The actual track has been neglected over the years - it works fine, but the modeling has deteriorated. If I lived closer by I'd have restored it back with updated scenery... and clean up the dust etc... I think whoever gets it... ( I hope someone does ) will have a really cool period piece. I think with a weekends work and lots of Model Railroad scenery materials you can have a superb mid 60's looking track. its built with plaster and screen as they did back in the 60's ... and lots of wood, so its a very sturdy track. when I was a kid and the track was new ish... my dad had trees all along the front straight like Tertre Rouge Le Mans, and had lots of trees along the back side. he even had girls in bikini's along the lake side.

crinoid likes this.
  12. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Do you know how much you want for the cars ?

13. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    not sure really - open to offers - PM me.

crinoid likes this.
  14. amerikalei

amerikalei Karting

May 23, 2011
    Brings back memories. I remember once in the late 60's Sam Posey played on our 1/32 layout after some SCCA event. Gave all my old Cox, etc cars to a friend who had room for them about 10 years ago. Hope your old track finds a home where it will get some love and a second life. Thanks for posting.

15. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    About 15 years ago I got back into slot car racing for a while with a good friend. Had 2 built exactly alike, so our races were always close. They still are using a bunch of the old commercial $150'+ tracks from the 60's and 70's. We had a blast for several years. The new cars are amazingly fast, and the timing really helped get your lap times down.

I wish I was close enough to take that track off your hands.

Here are some of the old slot cars I re-bought off Ebay, to walk down memory lane with.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

spirot and crinoid like this.
  16. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    We have all of those except for the "Red Wagon"... I'm toying with keeping the track my self = putting it in a storage center... but who knows.

17. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    PM sent.