911 (Type 964): Turbo, Carrera RS, Leichtbau, and more | Page 2 | FerrariChat

911 (Type 964): Turbo, Carrera RS, Leichtbau, and more

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Sterling Sackey, Mar 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sterling Sackey

Sterling Sackey Formula 3
    Sponsor

1992 Carrera Cup USA Edition.

Ultra-rare at 45 cars produced, and closer to a true 964 Carrera RS for the USA than the RS America.

A nice summary from Stuttcars:

For the 1992 season there was an idea to introduce the Carrera Cup also in the USA. As the US customs considered Carrera Cup cars as street cars, they had to meet Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Department of Transportation (DOT) laws. Not to speak of the Carrera Cup cars, it was even not possible to import the European spec Carrera RS cars, so the Carrera RS cars for USA were fitted with airbags, electric windows, alarm system, American lighting, American bumpers, aluminum wheels, and standard seats. This all just for the import procedure, for them to be converted to racing cars at Andial after they were declared in to the USA. The Carrera Cup USA racing series was to function as a support race for the CART racing series. 45 cars were imported and after 25 of them were converted to racing cars, it was clear that the series is too expensive for the teams and as not enough sponsors were found, the series was cancelled before it began. The 25 cars were converted back to street trim and all of the 45 cars were silently sold through the Porsche dealer network. These cars were approximately 90 kg/200 lb lighter than normal Carrera 2 US-versions.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

johnei, NürScud and joe sackey like this.
  2. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

The 959's planned successor, the 969.

The internal project code for this car was "965." It would employ much of the technology of the 959, advanced further and at a cheaper price point - this meant all-wheel drive was planned, complex engine solutions tested (including a V8), and even a PDK dual-clutch gearbox was considered.

However, Porsche's finances at the time and the need for a 911 Turbo replacement for the 964 generation meant this car was cancelled, and the "965" project took on a standard 911 Turbo treatment in the form of the 964 Turbo 3.3. This is the reason that parts for the 964 Turbo carry the "965" code, and the car is known in many Porsche circles as the 965 despite being based on the 964 platform.

Boomhauer and cnpapa24 like this.
  3. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Walter Rohrl talks about his personal car collection, which he notes includes a 964 Carrera RS

NürScud and cnpapa24 like this.
  4. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Here he is with the car in question, which he purchased over 10 years ago. He sent the car to Weissach to have Roland Kussmaul (one of the most legendary Porsche racing figures of all time, for those who don't know) set it up and tune new suspension for the car. It weighs in at around 2,535 lbs - "The secret of fast cars is low weight," said Rohrl about this car in an interview

NürScud and Boomhauer like this.
  5. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

NürScud likes this.
  6. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2007
    Milano - Italia
    Full Name:
    Cardinal
  7. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

964-generation Speedster was a great car, the only USA 964 that comes to mind in which Carrera RS Recaro fixed-back bucket seats could be ordered.

The narrow body was also a welcome change after almost all G-Body Speedsters were delivered with the "Turbo look" fenders - this seemed a bit more in line with the original 356 Speedster concept.

Boomhauer and NürScud like this.
  8. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Boomhauer and joe sackey like this.
  9. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    The 964 series is so under rated and might finally be getting its due. I have always had a soft spot for these as my dad had an American Roadster bought new that I loved. Still miss it to this day. I also had the opportunity to drive the 964 turbo press car before the official introduction as it was in Detroit for the US car magazines to test. It was an eye opener for the time.

Sterling, if you ever come across an American Roadster in amazon green (only 2 for the US), I want it!!!

10. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Noted. I'm good, but I'm not a magician. :)

Yes, it's a wonder that the 964 was so underrated for so long.

The cars drive really well, and many seasoned 911 enthusiasts assert that the coilover & semi-trailing arms in the 964 are actually better than the fairly complex multi-link suspension in the 993, not to mention the 'revvy' nature of the 964 engines compared to the VarioCam 993 units.

Island Time likes this.
  11. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    I have had my 964 for almost 18 years now and would never swap it for a 993 (or any later version of the 911, come to that). It is, for me, the ideal compromise between old and new - the last 911 that actually looked like a 901. The 993 looks like an elephant sat on its front end and it never recovered!

Island Time and slm like this.
  12. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Now that is really funny!!!

13. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Thankyou.:)

14. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Boomhauer likes this.
  15. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

In the spirit of the above post, here is another 964 Carrera RSR in action.

This unique RSR is the world’s only factory right-hand drive 3.8 litre RSR out of the 51 track-ready cars built by Porsche for the 1993 season.

This RSR was built to special order for Sydney’s Geoff Morgan, who drove it to victory in the Australian Porsche Cup in 1995 and 1996. It is now owned by former Porsche Cup competitor Chris Stannard, who has restored it to its original factory glory.

joe sackey likes this.
  16. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

17. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

The 964 Turbo 3.3 laps the Nurburgring when new in the hands of famed Japanese racing driver Motoharu Kurosawa. The timed lap starts at 5:10:

18. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

19. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

20. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor