488 Pista Battery | FerrariChat

488 Pista Battery

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by MuratC, Nov 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MuratC

MuratC Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2014
    Istanbul, Turkey
    I know it's a bit early to ask, but for those who took the delivery of their Pistas, did you get a chance to look at your batteries?
    What kind of Li-Ion battery is installed? Brand, Amps? Also what type of charger did you get?

Thank You...

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  2. howydo

howydo Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2009
    Is It lithium ion ??

3. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think it is. I also think they will provide a special battery tender/conditioner for this beast.

4. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Interesting a friends 488 GTB just delivered had a totally different tender. Black box with one LED ?

5. mytoys

mytoys Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2015
    CA
    Full Name:
    mytoys
    I was told it’s lithium and to make sure I plug in the trickle charger if I don’t drive it and that if the battery dies you would need to replace it similar to the laferrari. The charger is the same as the TDF. The plug is right above the rear license plate.

Caeruleus11 and MuratC like this.
  6. howydo

howydo Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2009
    Very cool . I think that’s a first for Ferrari with their special edition midengine V8. I’m looking forward to getting mine next Summer. Just saw Road and Tracks independent testing and wow is the Pista fast! 10.1 at 144mph trap! Glad they are stepping up their game and not letting Mclaren continue to dominate in terms of acceleration...

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  7. MuratC

MuratC Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2014
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Can you check the battery section in the user manual? Does it say anything about the battery specs/charging? It would be great if you can post these pages here. Thank you..

8. MuratC

MuratC Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2014
    Istanbul, Turkey
  9. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Yes they have seemingly moved to a new tender OEM that I have never heard of. The actual tender is very nice looking but I don't know how good it is- it may be excellent. I just don't know.

Thanks! This appears to be a CTEK Lithium battery tender. It should work very well and I wouldn't mess with it.

10. Ed_htc

Ed_htc Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2008
    FYI - the lithium battery tender with the Pista mounts with magnets to the port on the rear bumper however the polarity of the magnets is reverse of the standard charge that comes with the 488 or F12 TDF. You can't make a mistake and connect the TDF charger to the Pista.

of2worlds and Caeruleus11 like this.
  11. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    First time that F installed a lithium battery now ?

Any other F cars ?

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  12. MuratC

MuratC Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2014
    Istanbul, Turkey
    LaFerrari:D

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  13. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    The lithium batteries are a great weight saver but don’t let them drain completely. Use the correct designated charger, once fully discharged they then need replacing. Happened on my 1299 SL Ducati and it was a six week wait for a replacement from Italy as they are not a normal stock item at this point.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  14. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Anybody knows the price ?

Rumours say it is 5x the price of a "normal" AGM battery ….

15. MuratC

MuratC Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2014
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Caeruleus11 likes this.
  16. KNOKKi

KNOKKi Karting

Jul 20, 2015
    Amsterdam
  17. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Maybe its me, but how does a battery that can only supply 25 amps for one hour before its toast meet the equivalent of 130 amps for one hour? Also, a > one month storage temp range of -10°C to +25°C means a completely temperature controlled environment. And the battery is specific to motorsport. Nothing Super about that product being used on a road going Ferrari V12 IMO. If you use it please let us know over time how it goes.

of2worlds and Melvok like this.
  18. KNOKKi

KNOKKi Karting

Jul 20, 2015
    Amsterdam
    Well, I have some questions as well and maybe my conclusion that this is the Pista battery is wrong as the La Ferrari is also using a Lithium battery, isn't it?. I will get in touch with Super-B this monday about options for my FF and will post the answers here. I would be interesting to see what the Pista manual says. Is the Pista meant to be on the charger when not driven for instance? That would make it an unrealistic alternative for lead acid in my case.

Melvok likes this.
  19. Johnnugget

Johnnugget Karting

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Nugget

Pista battery on the F8's options list is 2300 w/o vat.
    3300 for a replacement.

20. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Sorry, …. rediculous imo …...

Jason Wells and KNOKKi like this.
  21. KNOKKi

KNOKKi Karting

Jul 20, 2015
    Amsterdam
    #23 KNOKKi, May 25, 2019
    Last edited: May 25, 2019
    Well, that counts for many of the replacements, but if you know the source cq how to source it from the OEM manufacturer it might become interesting. For instance, I got my titanium wheel bolts from China for 250$ instead of 2000.... Anyways, I keep u posted.

PS LiFePO4 batteries don't come cheap. If I am right - which just has to be proven - wrt the Super-B battery, then we are still talking about a 1000 euro battery. That is a lot less than 2 or 3k $ but still not cheap....

22. JohnTz

JohnTz Karting

Jun 21, 2018
    Inverness, IL
    Full Name:
    John Tz
    Chinese titanium wheel bolts? Not for my car. No chance.

23. KNOKKi

KNOKKi Karting

Jul 20, 2015
    Amsterdam
    Wake up and read again. Where do you think Ferrari sources its bolts. Right, China! So you should have said: titanium wheel bolts? Not for my car. No chance.

of2worlds likes this.