F430 spider soft top problem | FerrariChat

F430 spider soft top problem

Discussion in '360/430' started by psb1013, May 23, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. psb1013

psb1013 Karting

Feb 4, 2017
    Lately, the soft top on my '06 430 spider has been opening and closing extremely slowly. Sometimes, the process would stop halfway and I would have to keep playing with the lever to eventually finish the process. Is it because the hydraulic fluid is too low? bad battery? (I had the battery changed last year and the car is always on a trickle charger when not used). Or is the soft top motor finally on its last legs?

2. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Could be all three individually or a combo.
    So why not eliminate the fluid issue by checking the level or even changing the fluid assuming the fluid is 13 years old?
    Lots of DIY threads here with beautiful pictures
    Secondly, do not operate the top with battery power only. Ensure the car is running. If the battery is good enough to start the car on its own then with the car running you could also eliminate a second concern.

whatheheck likes this.
  3. 00 550

00 550 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2009
    FL
    Full Name:
    That guy
    Mine is doing the same and leaking a small amount of hydraulic fluid onto the plastic window that I tracked down to the main cylinder
    (see part number below) in the headliner...I haven't replaced it yet but I am planning on using this company is it seems very economical. If anyone has experience with this company, any information would be greatly appreciated. https://cabriolethydraulics.com/

Part # 66454700 FRAME TOP SEAL MAIN CYLINDER

whatheheck likes this.
  4. radlu

radlu Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    Have you checked the elastic bands in the top?

5. 00 550

00 550 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2009
    FL
    Full Name:
    That guy
    Update. Got the front cylinder back from cabriolet hydraulics. Turn around was one day, granted we are both in Florida, but its still kick ass. Me and my son installed. Took 30 minutes. Refilled hydraulic fluid, and 4-5 cycles of up and down over the course of 5 hours to prime/flush (was worried about pump overheating) so we were patient. Top opens and closes like a beast. Total price around $250 plus simple labor. No affiliation, but very happy with product, price and result!

Apollo 11 and hessank like this.
  6. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Great feedback.
    Thanks

7. mike guenther

mike guenther Rookie

Jul 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    mike guenther
    All great feedback, but looking through the threads, not sure if anyone else has this issue with their top, but mine opens perfectly fine, but will not close if the engine is hot , ONLY when it sits and cools way down, will it close. Not sure if this is low hydraulics or something else ?? As I just purchased vehicle a week ago.