1979 308 GT4 | Page 23 | FerrariChat

1979 308 GT4

Discussion in '308/328' started by OhioMark, May 15, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    #551 Beta Scorpion, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is the new panel in place. As expected, getting 8 holes in the new panel in the correct place was a challenge. Because the original was so wrinkled and the holes were elongated.
    After some trial fitting and filing of some holes, all 8 bolts went in.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    #552 Beta Scorpion, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Beta,

It all looks good. What I did was cut some old 40mm water hose and slide a few pieces above below and in between those pipes in front so as to isolate them from vibration and rubbing. ave helms makes a drain connection that goes on that you normally pull off to drain the front system as to make it easier when changing fluid!

Rob

4. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    Alternator light issue again. Last time (back on page 2) the light illuminated continuously, even with the key out. That was due to failed diodes.
    Now the light is appropriately out when the key is off. It comes on when the key is on but it won't turn off as the engine revs. May be a simple as a loose belt. Belt was squeaking last time out.

5. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    New water pump time. Alternator is likely OK. Water pump seized, melting the belt.

6. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Just what you needed.

7. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    I don't have access to a place to do this kind of work anymore, though I was anticipating a belt change this year, thinking of doing it in my garage. Coupled with my increasing age (this thread started in 2006) I see a call to Studio 47. They did the belts and clutch on my Testarossa and it was a top quality job. So, on this 308, I'd have them do the belts and water pump and likely something else yet to be discovered. Also, it seems the 308GT4s have increased quite a bit in value, justifying a professional approach to the issues at hand.

8. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Best to get a pro to see if there isn’t an underlying cause to the failure.

9. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    The seal has allowed moisture to corrode the water pump bearings. It breaks free with a little force but does not leak . Plan is to place a new pump and save old one for its core.

10. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    #560 Beta Scorpion, Jul 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    Over one year later; car is up on jack stands. Coolant has been drained.

Seems someone in the past has carved out notches in the front cam-belt cover so the water pump bolts can come out.

I used a oil filter wrench to hold the pulley to loosen the bolt.

I had to use a gear puller to get the pulley off so I could get a socket on the semi-hidden bolts.

11. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    Milkshaker0007 likes this.
  12. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    Bad water pump bearing:

13. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
  14. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
  15. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    Somehow my internet "Basket" got messed up making that order. So, as indicated above, only a single 11500821 stud arrived. Getting two more from a local Ferrari part$$ outlet, hopefully this week. I also have 4 pieces of large hose 38 to 42mm of which none fits perfectly. So I have ordered some Gates 41mm from Grainger. Hope to have that this week also.

16. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    Mail order seems to be moving very slow these days, so patience is the rule. I have received the 24226 Gates 41mm tubing. It fits perfectly. Now I'm waiting on two studs and I'll have all the parts to get it back together and running.

17. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    All the parts are here. New studs in place. Need to cut the tubing and it is almost ready to re-install.

18. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
  19. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    #572 Beta Scorpion, Aug 2, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    Getting the new coolant hoses hooked up. It seems to be taking hours to get all the hose clamps back in place so I would be able to tighten them after everything is back together. In case there is a leak. That clamp won't do, has to come off and be turned around to the other side.

**Note to self** hose clamps in the distance not tightened yet.

absostone likes this.
  20. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    The broken coaxial cable to the radio antenna from post #294 (where the mice ate it) was addressed when I had the expansion tank out to re-repace the hoses today. I cut the cable as far back to near where it enters the firewall and the center conductor has been pulled out.

So still no radio reception until the rear seats come out (to replace the seat belts) and I can re-thread a new cable.

VIZSLA likes this.
  21. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I’m looking at a similar situation and will be interested to see how big a job it is to access the cable in the cabin
    cheers

22. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Runs under RHS of back seat. Really no way to replace it without pulling the back seat. Then it is a 15 min job

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat