Sport exhaust | FerrariChat

Sport exhaust

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Cadillacbart, May 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cadillacbart

Cadillacbart Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    I am looking for a used sport exhaust system for my 88 Mondial 3.2 cab. Anyone have one for sale? Also, does the 328 fitment fit our cars?
    Thanks,
    John

2. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Try gutting the cat or installing a "test pipe" before you spring for sport exhaust. That was done to mine before I bought it and the sound is fantastic.
    Alden

3. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    West Hartford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
  4. Cadillacbart

Cadillacbart Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks both Alden and Mark. I do have a rest pipe, and like Mark I went back to stock soon after due to fumes.
    Hoping a sport exhaust designed for better sound will fit the bill.

5. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    I recently bought a spare original 3.2 muffler from eBay for $80. The seller described it as having a baffle rattle, hence the low price. I bought it to cut open and experiment with. I’d like to remove the baffles, make it simple, direct and loud, like this:

6. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Watch out for ressonance, I tried a well known brand of sport exhaust and found the car undrivable, the resonnance at normal speeds was horrible. I did a sport cat (Fabspeed) and stock muffler which added just the right amount of extra growl while not making the car a pain to daily drive. Do not discard your stock muffler (or cat), and the future restoration market will prefer them on the car.

7. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    I put low oval variable opening electric exhaust cutouts on my supercharged V8 Jag, right behind the headers, open a little and you get a little growl, a little more and it rumbles like my '67 GTO, and wide open, it sounds like a race car. Then I can close them up and cruise in quiet with no "drone" on the highway and no exhaust smell.

I was going to engineer something like that for my 3.2, but I like the sound w/o the cat and don't mind the fumes.

Old cars "stink!"

Remember, all cars before a certain time came w/o cats, so if you want to get an older classic or 60's-70's era sport or muscle car, it is going to "stink." Using ethanol free fuel helps because the alcohol adds an acrid smell to the exhaust that is not there with non-ethanol gas. You will get better mileage too and since some of our cars are in the range of the changeover years for non to ethanol, I think it is good insurance to protect the fuel system. That is why I run 90 octane non-ethanol in my '88 3.2.
    Alden

MvT likes this.
  8. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    It’s not just the stink, it’s the Carbon Monoxide that gets sucked into the cabin, makes my head ache and knocks out my kids (see link above for discussion on exhaust gas getting sucked into Mondial cabins).

9. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I closed the holes that go into the sills and then that problem is gone. Before that I smelled like a walking engine bay, but I had no headache or such. Depends per person I guess. Alden drove with us in Italy roughly 2000 miles and he had no headache too. But no chance in getting women interested in you :p

Almost every T or 348 here drive without cats.

Alden and Mark C Harvey like this.