365 BB Chassis 17553 Nut and Bolt Restoration | Page 3 | FerrariChat

365 BB Chassis 17553 Nut and Bolt Restoration

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by cnpapa24, May 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Central horn wire with a side mounted brush and slip ring further down the column like a dino. The correct steering wheel adapter has no horn wire hole vs the later version.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

miurasv likes this.
  2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    This looks like a dogs breakfast but again they just removed the hardshell connector and taped the wiring up and overlaid a dedicated harness for the MSD. This bundle of wiring is for the Dinoplex.

miurasv likes this.
  4. CarbBoxer

CarbBoxer Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2008
    Houston
    Full Name:
    PW
    Paul- thanks for the pictures.

If you did need to have a rear wiring harness made- do you have a source?

5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I make whatever I need and since the wiring harness from the tail lights to rad fans is one assembly creative splicing is the only way to restore any damage.

6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Black vertical hose with elbows is where the original oil cooler was. In fact the elbows in the pic are from the cooler that were cut off and clamped to the rubber that was put in place of the cooler. Note vertical rectangle welded to the cross brace behind it. Thats the mount plate for a bracket with rubber mounts to hold the cooler. When this cooler was discontinued after about car number 30 the coolant pipes were completely different. Then when the 512 came out the dry sump tank filled this large unused space. Before the dry sump tank came along you could actually do the cam belts in place even though thats not what they intended.

Bottom pic shows a plugged pipe which would've gone to the left side mounted coolant tank thats long gone.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

miurasv likes this.
  7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    On the right quarter just below the horizontal channel you can see some bondo worms hanging there. Bondo worms is the highly technical term used when holes drilled in a panel as smoothed over with filler. The filler oozes through the holes and comes out like toothpaste from a tube. So it had a dent and they used a slide hammer to pull it because without engine removal followed by tank removal there's really no access from behind to push a dent out. There's a little bit more going on further ahead at the door jamb but easy to properly correct during the resto.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

miurasv likes this.
  8. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Just some random details.

Front end structure on the 365 is so simple and almost dainty compared to the 512. The 512 has a tow hook attached to that merge point at the bottom where the tubes come together under the rads so they had to beef it up or possibly yank the front end off, an America's funniest home videos moment for sure.

Access hole to run the hoses shows how little they cared about rust protection back then. They did apply black paint to the structure under the spare tire tub where the rack mounts prior to putting the tub in so when the car was painted that area that they couldn't access anymore was already black.

One rad fan is original and has hammer tone finish. Earlier cars came both ways, guess it was just how Lucas supplied them at the time. Some parts stand out to me as being a drag to plate, the fan motor housings being one because the magnets are sometimes glued in and other times retained with a steel spring clip and then the oilite bushing in the nose. Either way if you break a magnet removing it you just added another N and S pole making the motor junk. Its a walk in the park to hit them with hammer tone paint so this is one of those grey areas where you can get away with going hammer tone even if they were zinc when the car was new. I have new decals for the motor direction to replace the old ones.

Tin boxes for heater cores were plastic by 76, not sure when the transition was made but a check of the parts book would tell me.

Individual master reservoirs were replaced in 79 by a single one still using yellow hoses to feed the master remotely. Fiat Dino uses these twin reservoirs but that doesn't make them any easier to find. I shouldn't say that, Mr Fiat reproduces them now and I think they're around $300 US each. I have one in my watch list on Ebay right now.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

miurasv likes this.
  9. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    RF inner fender just behind the headlight. There used to be a triangular bracket there to support the briefcase tool kit. They did a wonderful job of filling the rivet holes.

BBi fog lights which isn't uncommon but I scored an NOS set of Carellos that are tucked away and waiting to go on.

10. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    First pic is headlight mask with correct build number.

Wood strip was used to fill the void between the door panel and door shell. The door and panel are original so Im not sure why this has happened.

Cabin corner and door sill panel with sequence numbers followed by drip rails and inside of console.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

So far I haven't found a sequence number on the chassis. I know of another 365 just before this one that has no sequence numbers on the chassis or the usual locations like hinges. Maybe it was indicated with a piece of paper taped to the car or written with crayon so its long gone? Or Scaglietti changed their method as the cars evolved.

of2worlds likes this.
  11. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I looked at a BB512 once and it was having the interior done at the time. The sequence number on the doors were different than the chassis sequence number and different again from the hinge numbers! D'oh! So 2 donor cars were used to put it back together. It had also been creamed in the rear. Not sure who the lucky owner is today.

12. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Chris congrats. I like the livery but I am a bit biased. I too stopped driving my BBi and primarily drove the 365 BB when I had both. It’s my second 365 BB. Very special cars.

Geno
    PS will you be installing 9 inch Cromos in the rear?

View attachment 2707979 View attachment 2707980 View attachment 2707981

Attached Files:

VColin likes this.
  13. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  14. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    ^
    Inquiring minds want to know - what’s under the red cover ? And the bike to the left also interesting.

15. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    It’s my 250GTO

The bikes to the left are my 62 panhead and 66 shovelhead.

16. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    LOL - Congratulations ! That car cover is not worthy .... need more pics of all those for sure !!!

Once this 365 is done you should put the bikes on either end for the group shot

Newman likes this.
  17. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks, Geno. This is my second as well. Funny enough I do have 9” Cromodoras that I used to switch on and off of my other 365.

18. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Full length belly pan was shortened by 76 at the latest. tube that contain the clutch and throttle cable extend to the last crossmember vs the 76 512 that stops short and the belly pan follows that change. Both the 76 512 and the 365 have the oversize gas pedal access cover but its not the same cover, just similar then ferrari shrunk the access cover. The 512 has a separate boxed section with a dedicated cover for the park brake cable access, this 365 has a second cover in the belly itself.

Hard to see on the black 512 example but you can see one tube cut short and the park brake in its own box.

Belly cant be original to this car because its bare and too nice but it might be a correct replacement. Ill admit I don't know but Ill figure it out. I say its not original because when the chassis is upside down before it has body panels the belly is attached with rivets and then painted black. You can see the grey primer and where the black starts yet this panel has no paint. Its fairly elaborate with the hammer rivets and captive nuts for the access panels which was no simple task. Not something someone would quickly fab up to replace a dented one.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The car is very clean, didn't know it was a California car until today. Ill remove the floor and rear firewall which is one piece but Im leaving the forward bulkhead in because theres just no valid reason to remove it. Even the area under the trunk where the rack mounts is exceptional.

The rear firewall comes with an 11mm layer of foam glued to the fiberglass then they install it against the rear cross braces in the engine bay. They follow up with the texture you see on the fuel tanks then hit it with silver paint. If you poke it with your finger you'll break through and it'll look ugly. The original foam has been pulled off probably because it was rough. Cutting and gluing in triangular pieces between the chassis bars to replicate the look isn't a great way to do it.

The 76 512 prototype doesn't have this foam, never did. The rear firewall and floor is right against the bars and has the shelf for the fitted luggage that the 365 doesn't have. The 365 has a gap for the foam to fit, 76 512 doesn't but then they switched back to the gap with foam and kept it until the end of the 84 production run. Where they trying something different on the first batch of 512's and found a negative outcome? Noise and heat?

of2worlds likes this.
  20. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  21. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Rack mounts are cast iron rather than aluminum like the 512 and 308 etc. They have a complex isolation arrangement, I can see why they dropped it. The rack structure is also different and has studs in the frame structure vs nut and bolt later on. Im going to measure to see if they changed the rack height because there's an additional structure behind the rack mount flange that has no access to the rear dictating a stud vs nut and bolt. There would be no access if it was a nut / bolt arrangement. Changing rack height effects bump steer. Ill check and see! The firewall bearing and stub shaft is also different with extra pieces, again it was simplified later on down the road.

of2worlds likes this.
  22. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Why Ferrari later capped the main frame tubes I dont know. But I do know from past experience that the rails hold a couple litres of water so it was a banana move for ferrari to seal off the half open ends you see on the 365. Ive had to cut those end caps off in the past to blast as best as I could, get some paint in there then weld caps back on.

23. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    pshoejberg likes this.
  24. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    Very interesting to see the detail design changes. I know the firewall insulating foam and spent a lot of time refitting triangular pieces!
    The steering rack attachment does look funky.
    What a great project!

Newman likes this.
  25. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Boxer wire harness, 365 more specifically, a 512 is very different.

This is a first. The A/C box will go in before the main harness. Not sure if this box is made for this application or the car is designed around it from another car but you couldn't fit a credit card between it and the recess it fits into. The a/c box sits on the floor and its held at the top by 3 small screws only.

Tony did a nice fiberglass job around the pedal box .

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login