Keep 458 or trade for 488 or Huracan 580-2? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Keep 458 or trade for 488 or Huracan 580-2?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ash Patel, Apr 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jyupitt

jyupitt Karting

Jul 14, 2015
    Nyc/Nj
    Heard the 720s is faster and they are giving 20 percent off on new ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MANDALAY likes this.
  2. Rdwaggie

Rdwaggie Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2018
    I have track time on a Huracan, 570s, 650s, 488, 458 etc. I am one month into owning a 458 and it was 100% the right decision for me. The Huracan was a lot of fun and the V10 is awesome but nothing compared to the handling and responsiveness of the 458. It just felt like an extension of me.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

KappaJack and RayJohns like this.
  3. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Nothing compares to the 458; it's an amazing car

Ray

PhilNotHill likes this.
  4. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    20% off new? Really?

5. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    This is what seems important, as it does to me... “liveliest...fun to drive and slide around...”
    ‘Tis the reason I traded my Huracan Performante for a Speciale. The HP felt much faster and had handled extremely well on track and through canyon runs. But for me, it felt “too good” and steering felt digital and slightly numb. Hard to kick the rear with magnetorheological suspension and AWD. DCT too smooth, can’t feel any gear shifts. Sorry not for me.
    I like “slower” cars with more steering wheel feedback - Lotus #1, 16M, CGT... Speciale fit right in. Much more lighter and nimble feel than HP. I’ve slid out the rear quite a few times in the Speciale, even on Cup 2’s. Very direct steering, linear torque and power. I can feel the slight kick even with DCT. Slapped on IPE headers,
    test pipes, and exhaust - I’m now an F1 driver through Monaco tunnels, year 2008. Not the fastest but definitely the most “fun” in my book.
    Frankly, if I really want the epitome of fun driving, I’m considering getting my 6th Lotus. No insulation.

Sent from my 16M

6. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks and wow this writeup must be one of the most well described in a while how I feel when I want a car.

I decided I will not part with the 458 for another season, let it be a few seasons but maybe add a car later if funds and wife allow. I think I will regret going the Lambo route as even if they look so mean and beautiful, I think the driving experience will not be on par with the 458.

Went down and took some photos of it, fell in love again, the attention to details to the interior is just amazing, leather, alcantara and contrast stitching everywhere you look :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

veilstylez, Zeff, Shadowfax and 2 others like this.
  7. 06viper

06viper Rookie

Mar 31, 2019
    NM-AZ
    Don’t get a huracan, the interior feels very “plasticy” and in my personal opinion, the gallardo looks way better than the huracan. Just get an R8 rear wheel drive model, save nearly $60k, and have 99% of the same performance as an LP580. I was in the same boat as you and wanted to try something different so I got a Mclaren 570s with the track pack option. Even though this is a comparison between 458, 488, and LP580, I would highly recommend trying a Mclaren 570s. In terms of speed, the 570 is faster than the 458, 488, and LP580, I know because I’ve raced against all three. I have an F8 on order to compliment my 570 in the garage, and the F8 should be comparable to the Mclaren 720 in terms of speed. All I have to say to the OP is, what a great problem to have when you are tired of your current Ferrari and wanting to change to another Ferrari or Lamborghini! Things could be worse! Haha

Ash Patel likes this.
  8. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    If your going huracan go performante only!

Thecadster and Coincid like this.
  9. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Exactly my sentiment. Couldn't have said it any better.

Napoli and Shadowfax like this.
  10. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    As a happy Performante owner I could not agree more.

Roland1688 and Zeff like this.
  11. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Those are some spectacular shots!
    I love the trapezoid vents!

Sent from my 16M

12. Boston George

Boston George Rookie

Feb 5, 2018
    I own a 458 spider. You need to understand that with the 488 twin turbo there a different experience in driving the car. When I start going fast and I take a curve I break and down shift and the car is glued on to the road. When your driving a turbo car or a supercharged car and you start downshifting. You revving up the engine in result your creating boost. That boost will not slow you down. It will create actually for a split second forward thrust almost feeling. As the 488 Being faster ? Are you talking 0 to 60 like 0.2 seconds. Or while driving. Both a great cars. But I have heard from true Ferrari driver’s enthusiast that The 458 was better. Now the 488 does have better handling and better breaks. That’s is the positive. Both great cars don’t get me wrong. But the exhaust and high pitch sound from the 458 is by far superior than the 488.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

PhilNotHill, veilstylez and dustman like this.
  13. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #64 Shadowfax, Jun 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    This is not how it is at all. If you are downshifting a 488 turbo, the revs are matched, but the engine retains a braking effect no different to a naturally aspirated car.

Insofar as the 488 being faster goes (assuming you are referring to acceleration and obtaining top speed) it's a lot faster than a 458 particularly when on the go, with 488 having such a massive amount of torque on (instant) tap. There is no comparison here.

The 488 also handles and brakes better as you have pointed out.

And, "hearing" from "a true Ferrari enthusiast" this ones better than that one? Wow now that's a funny one right there! It all depends upon what each individual likes and has nothing at all to do with a person being "less of a Ferrari enthusiast" for preferring a 488 over 458.

Same situation also applies with the exhaust note, which is subjective element.

Essentially, there is really nothing "to understand" other than what each person prefers - which will of course make perfect sense to them.

DefunctNeurons, Napoli and tekaefixe like this.
  14. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Only 20% Keep going.....you don't want to know. And that's on a new one.

PS: Ash pleased to hear you arrived at your decision! There really is no right or wrong choice here. Enjoy my friend!

Ash Patel likes this.
  15. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

IP01 Banned you also , does this mean he cannot read this post ? Might get a bit PO knowing whats happening in Mac territory

Ash Patel likes this.
  16. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Great to hear, everyone has their love. Mine was and is the 488 GTB as I bought new and specified it the way i wanted . RCM and may will say waste of money or no carbon and no that's not right. But go with what you like.

My only thought right now is at 56 im either going to keep it forever and that's it or in 3 years time buy the F8 which will be the very last Ferrari V8 non electric. So the World is giving me a time line. Could always buy a F8 latter in the second hand market but will never replace the joy of specing and waiting for your car even if you found one exactly the same.

Viperjoe and Ash Patel like this.
  17. PCJR

PCJR Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2007
    PA
    I agree 100%
    I had an LP610 and then an R8V10+
    I liked the R8 better but now have a Perf coupe and it just bad ass!
    Also have a 458 Spyder. These two are drastically different in every aspect.

Zeff likes this.
  18. Anindith Reddy

Apr 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Anindith Reddy
    I agree with this

19. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I think as long as there is no "Mclaren" in the thread header we are... how should I put this "safe" because that is exactly what I feel like as you never know if you will be called out and your credibility questioned. It lately unfortunately feels like you're being watched on f-chat --> as you might know in the Chris Harris 600LT thread I even got jumped on for saying that the 720S is the deal of the century and my credibility (if you read between the lines of the post against me) questioned :(

It's so sad what this has become on f-chat as I think or at least I am trying to contribute to this forum with knowledge and even put out my real name

20. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks Shadowfax

21. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Come on, no reason to be sad, enjoy your cars and share your experiences. Thats what the forum is for, screw the rest!
    And always have a good laugh!

MANDALAY and Ash Patel like this.
  22. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Smile and enjoy AP. Some will always lag behind common sense.

Ash Patel likes this.
  23. humdizzle

humdizzle Karting

Mar 9, 2016
    a lot of the other cars mentioned in this thread are getting too soft and refined. just depends what you want... should a supercar be both comfortable and refined with great performance (McLaren, R8) ? or should it beat you up with the engine dominating the cabin (458s)?

I haven't driven the 580-2 but I think it would be a good 458 replacement being naturally aspirated. I drove the 610 on track and its very fun, I just didn't like how it understeered at the limit.

me personally I will probably replace my 458 with a newer manual GT3

24. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B