New (to me) OTO | FerrariChat

New (to me) OTO

Discussion in '612/599' started by Norcal, May 6, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Norcal

Norcal Rookie

Oct 23, 2009
    Hello, i started looking for a 612 some months ago and really appreciated the insights and information i found on this forum. I landed this silverstone/cuoio 2008 OTO in the last week. It was highly optioned with the exception of HGT2. Many years back i had acquired a used 2006 with HGTS and over the years regretted selling it (tdf/beige, no badges, stunning). Traded it for a convertible DB9 which begat a first gen silver California. After some others and thinking i had given up the exotic bug (been driving a manual 2018 VW R which i HIGHLY recommend and not giving up), saw a 612 and fell in love again. After some searching and picky about color combinations, bought this gem. Im sure i will have questions and hope to be able to share any wisdom or tidbits that i garner Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login along the way. Planning on keeping her for a long time. Cheers !

2. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Congrats, and I wish you good luck with it!

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Beautiful!

4. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    looks beautiful, looks like mine, congrats!

5. Potenza430

Potenza430 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 26, 2012
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Love the color combo!

6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    u will love it! congrats!

7. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Beautiful car!

8. 599_GTO

599_GTO Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    J.S.
    Welcome back to the 612 club! I have a Vantage V600... AMs are beautiful but very different machines. 612 fans are the real cognoscenti on special cars!

MRY and Nospinzone like this.
  9. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    We like to think so! :)

randkin and 599_GTO like this.
  10. Norcal

Norcal Rookie

Oct 23, 2009
    awesome, i like the paddles on your 06 grigio/cuoio, they look longer than the carbon variant.

The 612 is a looker, always liked it but to my eye, it keeps getting better. gotta love the rounded pininfarina touches. too many newer vehicles are overly angular imo.

one question i have is w regard to the steering - even in sport, i find the steering just a smidge loose. it might just be the large frame and long wheelbase but it wb nice if it was tighter/stiffer. curious if HGT2 versions have a different steering feel and if an OTO can readily be upgraded, suspension wise.

also, has anyone done 19 inch challenge wheels on a 612 ? Are the 430 versions even feasible, offset wise ?

Thank you !

11. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    Attached is a .pdf provided by TAZ in another thread with the specs of wheels for most if not all recent Ferraris.

Attached Files:

12. Norcal

Norcal Rookie

Oct 23, 2009
    Gotcha, thanks.

13. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    Attached is a .jpg of the description of the HGT2 option for the 612 OTO. I don't see anything in it about revising the steering from the non-OTO 612. There might be some effect on steering feel from the 20" Challenge wheels and their smaller sidewall tires included in the HGT2 package that replaced the 19" wheels, or 18" fronts for the stock wheels, on non-OTO 612s, but if so, it would seem to go in the opposite direction from increasing looseness. The 20" front tires on the 612 are 35 aspect ratio, 19" fronts are 40, and 18" fronts 45. The smaller the sidewalls, the less squirm (looseness), I would think.

The only change to the suspension that I see with the HGT2 option is a larger rear anti-roll bar, 23.5 mm. vs. 22.0 for the stock bar. This would seem to be an easy mod to make if the part was still available. Again, there may be some effect on suspension feel from the 20" tires.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Norcal

Norcal Rookie

Oct 23, 2009
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Thanks for the feedback. Getting used to the steering and handling (non HGT2) on hot laps to alpine dam on bofax road in MErin county, CA.
    Handles and feels pretty, pretty good.

Modena_2003, gt4me, MRY and 2 others like this.
  15. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    great color - love those wheels on that color too

16. MRY

MRY Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    Monterey Peninsula
    Congrats
    Mine has HGT2, and is a blast to drive on the B roads. Enjoy your ride, they’re spectacular cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. HKS479

HKS479 Karting

Sep 23, 2015
    Zurich, Switzerland
    The steering on my 06 HGTC feels different to all other 612s I have driven (mostly OTO). My friend who has a 04 612 mentions how much more weighty it is every time he drives it. He even bought a later steering ecu to see if it changed anything on his (it didn’t). Im not sure if my car has something different as it’s a limited edition model called the Swiss GP Edition. As far as I know it’s just a HGTC with a custom bi-colour paint and custom interior. However it does feel more ‘intense’ to drive than any other 612 I’ve driven. Which is why I bought it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app