458 - 458: repairing Novitec LED taillights? | FerrariChat

458 458: repairing Novitec LED taillights?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by CH_348, Feb 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CH_348

CH_348 Karting

Nov 10, 2016
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Chris Steinacker
    As you may see from my profile pic I’ve been a 348tb owner and have just upgraded myself to a beautiful Grigio Silverstone a week ago.

On my test drive with the car I noticed there was a „stop lights failure“ message. Apparently it came from the right novitec taillight. Unfortunately the guys at novitec said that they don’t replace, produce or repair them anymore. Before having to go back to stock or spending 3k on a pair on the grey market I thought I’d ask if one of you guys has experienced this too and has another fix for me?

Has one of you already repaired one of those maybe?

I could not really destinguish how many led bulbs were not working, it must only be a few since I didn’t notice anything when the dealer drove the car back into the store.

Maybe there’s also a way to suppress the warning from popping up once I pump the brakes?

Not braking at all is not really an option ;-)

Thank you guys! Image Unavailable, Please Login

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

2. TUTTSF

TUTTSF Karting

Sep 21, 2018
    So. Cal
    I know you said Novitec washed there hands of it but can they email you some pointers or instructions on where to trouble shoot.

3. CH_348

CH_348 Karting

Nov 10, 2016
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Chris Steinacker
    Their pointer was to “ask an electrician who specializes in LED’s”. I don’t know about your countries but over here in Switzerland I’ve never heard about someone who runs that kind of a business :-D that’s why I am reaching out - it will probably need to be a DIY fix.

4. CH_348

CH_348 Karting

Nov 10, 2016
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Chris Steinacker
    Oh and if anyone is looking to sell their used Novi tail heights, please dm me.

5. sakodik

sakodik Karting

Jun 2, 2016
    Santa Clara
    Full Name:
    Dan
    What about scud ing swiss based in Switzerland? I'm not sure how 458 lights are, but the F430 has internals you take out to replace bulbs or as a whole assembly. In your case, probably the whole assembly due to the LED if possible. As they do LED for F430, maybe they can assist in your repair.

CH_348 likes this.
  6. CH_348

CH_348 Karting

Nov 10, 2016
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Chris Steinacker
    Thank you for the recommendation! I contacted them and hope they can help.

7. CH_348

CH_348 Karting

Nov 10, 2016
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Chris Steinacker
    So, Scud Ing is on it. They did some tests and it seems like after a couple of seconds, the stop light completely dims (see attached picture). Instead of 0.28A, they are getting 0.03A which is why it triggers also a warning lamp on my 458. All LEDs are working fine, so they suppose that there is an issue with the electronic board inside the light cluster.

If anyone thinks that there might be another source for that defect, I’d be happy to hear from you and let them know.

To access this board, they will have to dismantle entirely the light cluster which they say “is not easy and will be very time consuming”. Asked them for a cost estimate and hope that it makes sense to repair it, since the market for Novitec tail lights that I could use to replace the broken one seems to have completely dried out...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. viperf430

viperf430 Rookie

Feb 12, 2015
    Orlando FL
    Note to self......Don't buy Novitec. That is bad customer service.

CH_348 likes this.
  9. CH_348

CH_348 Karting

Nov 10, 2016
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Chris Steinacker
    To provide a solution to everyone with the same problem:

reach out to Stef and his Team at Scud Ing in Switzerland!

They have repaired mine and found a solution to even improve them, so the same error (which basically is a construction failure made by Novitec) will not occur again. They fixed the electronics of the light and are really hands-on and solution focussed. After excessive testing they will send out my fixed rear light this week and I’ll finally be able to pump the brakes without the annoying alert on the dashboard.

Amazing service - and a reminder to never buy electronics from Novitec, as they basically have no clue how to fix failures on their products.

Ash Patel likes this.
  10. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    The team from Scud Ing in Switzerland is really good.

It now gives them knowledge to do all 458 taillights in future for us !

Ask them to show 458 Tail light repairs that under "New Products at their website

Pitty it happened to you but for all of us: Good to know … :)

Thanx for sharing Chris.

CH_348 likes this.
  11. CH_348

CH_348 Karting

Nov 10, 2016
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Chris Steinacker

Exactly - they even said they’d maybe produce an enhanced version one day. Keeping my eyes open, since it will be just a matter of time until the other tail light fails, I guess.

Happy to take one for the team here ;-) it will lead to a solution for all 458 and 599 owners so that‘s worth it.

Ash Patel and Melvok like this.
  12. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Have a look at my YOLO thread about other electrical issues and gadgets Chris :)

CH_348 likes this.
  13. CH_348

CH_348 Karting

Nov 10, 2016
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Chris Steinacker
    better then new, thanks to the guys at scud Ing. Fingers crossed that my LHS tail light will last for some more months before it will also need the scud-ing-treatment due to the absolute amateur work that Novitec did when they had them produced. :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ash Patel likes this.