Anyone know what this is? | FerrariChat

Anyone know what this is?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Il Tifoso, May 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    I went to my car storage place and needed to move my 1986 412 (5 speed manual) and noticed a bit of coolant pooling underneath the car. Upon closer inspection, it seems to be coming from the part I’ve circled in green below.

It’s not outlined in the parts manual (at least that I can see) and I’m guessing it’s something associated to the CA BAR conversion made back in 1986. It’s a white plastic diaphragm looking part that is in line with coolant hoses and the top of the part is connected to vacuum lines that I was unable to fully trace yet.

The coolant leak seems to be coming from a crack in the plastic body of the part.

Any ideas what this is or where I can get a replacement?

Sorry for the crappy pic - I didn’t think to take a closer pic while I was at the storage, so just going with an old engine bay pic. Will get a better pic in the next few days.

Ruben

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Ok tonight I was looking around my 550, not really looking for anything just admiring under the hood, and to my surprise, I saw the exact same part under the hood of my 550 (there are actually 2 of them in the 550).

It turns out this mystery part is actually an emissions part (air injection cut off) that is standard on the CH 412 and is also shared with a slew of other Ferrari models: https://www.ricambiamerica.com/147390-valve-cut-off.html

Now, does anyone know what exactly this valve does? I presume it monitors coolant temp to “cut-off” air (not sure to what) when the engine is warm enough in order to comply with smog regulations?

After looking around more, I’m certain this was added to my car as part of the CA BAR certification.

Ruben

3. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Ruben
    Do you have a shop manual for your 550? Since this is a factory part on that car it should be shown in the workshop manual and with some luck its function may be described. Alternate is find a shop manual for one of the other cars with this same part.
    Ken

Il Tifoso likes this.
  4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    That does look like an air injection cutoff valve, but there is no coolant involved in that system. Have a closer look at the (many) nearby coolant pipes/hoses in that area.

Il Tifoso likes this.
  5. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Great idea Ken - will have a look!

Thanks Steve. I’ll look at the 550 manual, but if no coolant is involved, it could very well be that the coolant is coming from some other place. Lighting was poor when I was looking around so I definitely could have missed something.

Ruben