365 BB Chassis 17553 Nut and Bolt Restoration | Page 2 | FerrariChat

365 BB Chassis 17553 Nut and Bolt Restoration

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by cnpapa24, May 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    I love these threads! Keep em coming!

308 milano and samsaprunoff like this.
  2. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Paul,

That is interesting about the distributor pickup... however, not entirely unexpected, as I believe that the original pickups have not been available for a long time and if one really wanted one, one had to find a full NOS distributor just for the pickup. Speaking of which... but was the 2nd pickup really used? I ask, as I seem to remember reading somewhere that only one was used... and also that the same distributor was used on some early Lambo's. I could very well be mistaken on these last two items, but it make explain a few things...and/or may stimulate some further investigation.

Cheers,

Sam

3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The second one wasn’t used and Lamborghini did share distributors with Ferrari along with distributor caps. I believe the lambo runs the distributor in the opposite direction on some cars and some lambos have twin coil towers on the caps. Those would most likely use the twin pickups but worked on the 365 with one.

turbo-joe likes this.
  4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    miurasv likes this.
  5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    miurasv and of2worlds like this.
  6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The car had a fresh clutch but grinder marks on the flywheel.

Propellor shaft, 512 vs 365. The 365 shaft is shorter because the bell housing and drop gear case is different but its also thicker. Going to a thinner shaft while upping the engine torque and the weight of the car it stands to reason they were trying to make the shaft either flex and absorb more shock or make it more susceptible to failure to save the main shaft.

On the subject of weight Im kicking myself for not weighing the car before I started taking it apart but Ill weigh it when its back together. The claims of the 365 being 2600lbs or 1000lbs lighter than a 512 is baloney. The cars are essentially the same with minor exceptions that would tip the scales in favour of the 365 - pun intended - but if I had to guess maybe a 100lb advantage. If I end up with egg on my face thats fine but at least Ill know!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

miurasv likes this.
  7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  8. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    365 block has squared bosses for connecting rod clearance 512 is rounded. Things like that make me wonder. Why did they change that? Makes no difference to function and doesn't effect other components.

365 distributor with generic pickup and the second hole blocked off. Phenolic spacer between distributor and adapter just like the Dinos.

Externally regulated alternator.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

miurasv likes this.
  9. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  10. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    amc likes this.
  11. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    So from a design standpoint we know that foot well was originally intended for the evaporator then later they managed to stuff the twin squirrel cage version half in the foot well and half out and sideways which also allowed for more air outlets. It also eliminated the blower motor and toilet flange.

12. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    Those exhaust manifolds look like they were welded by a drunk high school shop teacher!

JCR likes this.
  13. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    With coke bottle glasses

JoeTSI likes this.
  14. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Those among us old enough to remember racing during the seventies know that ground clearance of the exhaust manifolds was an accute problem for the "Flat 12" engines in Formula One (Ferrari and Alfa-Romeo, mainly)...

Rgds

15. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #40 boxerman, May 15, 2019
    Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Looking at all the bits and bodged changes over the years this car has suffered, what a figurative road it must have traveled.
    Also interesting to see how an otherwise cosmeticaly neice car looks under the skin so to speak.

Have never driven a 365 but after drivign Newmans koening 512bb as a a BBI owner I can say that there is avast difference between the high lift cam koning carbed, and an injected car, not sure one can ever make an injected car perform like the carbed car. I can see that for general driving how an injected car just simply works and works well, and how a carbed car could be difficult.cranky for some. But on pure sunday blast the carbed koning car was simply an live animal. Possibly it had a sorter final drive too, like a 365.

I also think that whatever the narrower front tires on the BB's give up in grip, is more than made up in steering feel. The BB was light at the helm and direct.

Next time I'm going not more than 225's at the front, would like a shorter final, and hi comp psitons with cams. Might as well get a koning BB, or maybe do a "newman" singerized BBI. There is so much potential in these cars, so much ferrari left on the table. Just think what a 1982 poche 911 was like compared to the later 993, or the moded singers we see today.

I can see why Chris drove his carbed car far more than his injected one. By anlogy while everyone loves the way a miura looks some see them as painful to drive, others love it.

cnpapa24 and Newman like this.
  16. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Newman: I cannot say what an early 365 Boxer weighs, but #18587 weighs 3,225 lbs including Spare Tire, Jack and Toolkit, but without fuel. Weighed on accurate race scales.

of2worlds likes this.
  17. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Thank you! My 82 BBi was 3400lbs and I would say with the additional fuel system components, radio and heavier wheels it’s the heaviest of the 3 versions.

of2worlds and wlanast like this.
  18. wlanast

wlanast Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 9, 2007
    Santa Ana,California
    Full Name:
    William
    When Chris told me about this car and his plans for it, I was all in from the jump. this is the prefect car, color, early, pure. At one point I had a fantasy of finding a way to get 17321, but I will live vicariously through this project! Go, Team Papa/Newman!

cnpapa24 likes this.
  19. TerryG!

TerryG! Karting

Feb 12, 2017
    Central UK
    Not only the fuse covers but this car still has the interior rear light cluster covers.

I wish mine still had the light covers!

Really enjoying this thread, btw.

Newman likes this.
  20. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    amc likes this.
  21. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Light blue splash shields were used up until 78 on boxers. 365 2+2 was the same, not sure when it stopped with that model though.

Arms are yellow zinc under the black paint. Ive heard of a few cars with black arms but yellow zinc is correct. Front shocks are original and have the yellow inspection marks and winged Koni logo decal. Rear shocks have been replaced at some point and have triangle decals.

Note yellow paint mark on rear spring. 512 has red marks. Spec I was sent last week says all boxer use the same spring rates. 308 marks are red, 328 are yellow. Ill be testing all 6 springs to see if the rears all match as well as the fronts and see what we find. This car seems to sit low in the rear, I measured and recorded the ride height before anything came off.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

miurasv, amc and of2worlds like this.
  22. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    miurasv likes this.
  23. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  24. TerryG!

TerryG! Karting

Feb 12, 2017
    Central UK
    No Dinoplex then. But no surprise in that, I suspect.