Mondial 3.2 Coolant Question | FerrariChat

Mondial 3.2 Coolant Question

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Alden, May 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    My great, Italian,talented, honest Ferrari mechanic nearby is retiring now. He is getting up in age. He did the last fluid change on my Mondial, I am going to do my own soon.

I called him to ask what kind of coolant he put in my Mondial a few years ago and all he could tell me was:

"It's the Shell long lasting brand for aluminum engines"

Checked the service receipt, it just says "coolant."

So....................What do think I have in there?

Shell Rotella "red" type? I think this is the organic coolant like I use in my Jag with a supercharged aluminum engine.

I can flush the system and put a different type in, but I really did not want to bleed the block and water pump. But I will, if I have to.

Any advice appreciated.
    Alden

2. EXCELSE

EXCELSE Karting

Nov 27, 2014
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Scuderia Brughia
    Best is to stick with the green or blue stuff, because the modern long lasting coolants eat the solder away that holds your radiator together.

3. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Ummmm......I was always told that the new coolants (orange or red) that are nitrite free, were better for our aluminum engines than the old green/blue, so I am looking at something like Shell Rotella red.

I guess, since I can't be sure what is in there and you don't want to mix different types, I am going to have to thoroughly flush the entire system and add the new coolant.
    Alden

4. EXCELSE

EXCELSE Karting

Nov 27, 2014
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Scuderia Brughia
    New coolant is good for the engine but not for our type of radiators.
    Its also near impossible to flush our huge complex cooling system to prevent contamination between the 2 coolants.

5. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Understood, but since I can't verify the type of coolant that is currently in the system, what shall I do?
    Alden

6. EXCELSE

EXCELSE Karting

Nov 27, 2014
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Scuderia Brughia
    what colour does it have now?

7. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Just drain out as much as you can, then fill the system with distilled water. Run that for a day, then drain it out. I've found the cheap Prestone from Walmart works fine, but you should replace it once a year. It's also much easier if you get the aftermarket drain and bleed plugs.

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You can drain it enough so that little contamination would take place. It's not that complex of a system.

9. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    Use prestone green non diluted. I doubt you drive the Mondial that much and by having 100% in lieu of 50/50 will reduce corrosion and decay. One a year is optimistic but a bleed sillcock would be a good addition

10. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Can't tell the color for now, I am going to drain, fill with distilled water, drain and fill with distilled again, then drain fill it with regular 100% Prestone green.
    KISS, right?
    Alden

11. EXCELSE

EXCELSE Karting

Nov 27, 2014
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Scuderia Brughia
    looks ,like a good plan!!!