458 - Advice needed Cat temp sensor acting up | FerrariChat

458 Advice needed Cat temp sensor acting up

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 1cerberus4u, May 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1cerberus4u

1cerberus4u Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2004
    Bedford NH
    Full Name:
    andy sanborn
    so I finally took my 458 out from winter storage and at first it was running really rough at idle and then I got a warning that the Cat temp sensor was out of range. Being the car wasn’t even warmed up I wasn’t concerned about it being plugged and over heating so I decided to drive it home the 30 miles to see if once the car warmed up, if it would trigger the cat sensor to behave.

Well no luck, just a warning and bell ringing every few minutes all the way home....

Any ideas on how to test or reset the sensor? Will cycling the battery reset it?

Any advice is appreciated

2. Golattus

Golattus Karting
    BANNED

Dec 15, 2017
    Full Name:
    JN
    Disconnect the battery and follow startup procedure as per the manual.

99% you will clear this.

3. 1cerberus4u

1cerberus4u Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2004
    Bedford NH
    Full Name:
    andy sanborn
    Thanks Go!

I'll try it this week

Best

Andy

4. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    I had a similar problem. I got that cat warning and an engine system control failure (or something like that). The diagnostics said misfire on cylinder 3. I swapped plugs between 3 and 4 and the misfire moved. New plugs and the car runs perfect.

I bought a 2,400 miles car last fall and it sat all winter on 1/8 tank of fuel. The fuel could have been a couple years old for all I know. It must have fouled the cylinder 3 plug.

5. 1cerberus4u

1cerberus4u Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2004
    Bedford NH
    Full Name:
    andy sanborn
    I reset the battery this am and just did start up and the car sounded fine and no code. I plan to go for a drive tomorrow and check it out

6. Golattus

Golattus Karting
    BANNED

Dec 15, 2017
    Full Name:
    JN
    75% of the errors can be cleaned up disconnecting the battery, that’s the reason why Ferrari removed the master switch...