430 Engine Bay Fire | Page 2 | FerrariChat

430 Engine Bay Fire

Discussion in '360/430' started by treue, May 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I don't know about everyone else, but if I think a reasonable amount of fuel has gone in I tend not to fill the 430 past the first click. I don't worry so much on my other cars.

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I will second that, too much damage for a small leak

3. radlu

radlu Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    f355spider likes this.
  4. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    This
    I never top off the tanks. I also don't go down to empty either.

albkid, f355spider and whatheheck like this.
  5. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Same here.

Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

f355spider likes this.
  6. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    There's a lot more than a quarter pa do there. Burnt wires, possible tank replacement which may require engine removal...hell no, that's not worth fixing.

7. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Hahaha! Just saw this. Brutal...:D

8. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Sorry this happened to you, hopefully insurance will do you right.

9. GH13

GH13 Karting

Apr 26, 2019
    Insurance will pay on a claim that is your fault. What they won’t do is pay a claim on an intentional act. This is why you can file a claim if you accidentally run off the road, but it is insurance fraud if you intentionally run off the road.

Now, the big question becomes whether premiums are increased, or if he is encouraged to take his business elsewhere. Typically, it will be the former more likely than the latter, unless there’s a history of multiple claims.

The insurance company wants to make money. After they pay out the claim, it’s about what they think future expected losses and premiums will be.

f355spider likes this.
  10. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    The question is, how much BS and litigation do you have to go through before they do? I've been there, most insurance companies will use whatever means necessary to pay the least amount or nothing. I'm still fighting with Allstate on different situation. Trust me, if insurance companies did not play the games they play, half the lawyers in America would be unemployed.

11. GH13

GH13 Karting

Apr 26, 2019
    Part of your problem was Allstate specific. Allstate has a big scandal years ago when a presentation got leaked entitled “Good Hands vs Boxing Gloves” (might be slightly off on the title). The basic idea was that they would expedite claims when the insured was willing to accept a lower claim settlement. If they wanted to get more, then their practice was the make life increasingly more difficult.

They claimed (pardon the pun) that they had changed their ways after the leak, but that’s doubtful.

Not all insurance companies behave the same way. That’s why it should never be about price only, and you should always leverage the fact that you have multiple lines of business with them. In fact, you should make it a point to reference that if you are having issues with a claim, and if your claim isn’t settled properly, move your business elsewhere.

Another important thing to do, even before you get lawyers involved, is to harness the power of the relevant regulators. As things start to go sideways, find out where the actual company that wrote your specific insurance is domiciled (many insurance companies usually have a large number of different entities that write the various lines of insurance). Make it clear that if things do not move towards a better handling of your claim, that you will be contact both the insurance regulators in your state, as well as their state of domicile. This can cause things to switch in your favor, and also works in warranty situations, cell phones, etc. I usually phrase it as a warning “I’d like to get this resolved without having to do this”, or if I’m ticked enough, I just go straight to the regulator. It works. Trust me.

A smart company recognizes that the cost of lost revenue, legal fees, and regulatory headaches is sometimes worth paying a bit more on a claim.

For what it’s worth, State Farm has been good to me. Hell, I even came out ahead when I had a motorcycle stolen.

whatheheck likes this.
  12. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    As frequently stated in Sports Car Market magazine "legal side" column, one should always get "agree value" policies for collector cars. It eliminates any ambiguity about valuation.

13. AuthenticRebuilds

Feb 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    david
  14. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    RedNeck likes this.
  15. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I absolutely have agreed value policies for my toys, but I'm not going to be naive enough to believe that if I tried to make a 6 figure claim, that my insurance isn't going to try to get out of it as cheap as possible by any means necessary, it's not just one company, it's all of them. They aren't in business to protect you, they are in business to take your money, not give it back.

16. AuthenticRebuilds

Feb 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    david
    Ive been watching the exotics on copart for a long time as Ive mostly been rebuilding Mercedes AMG and more recent Porsche. You would be amazed at how easy a car can be totaled. There are also laws that vary from state to state as to what will total a car such as a car with no damage but the airbags being deployed, or if you experience water just touching the underside of a car it can be flood, or when Porsche owners leave the drivers window down and rain fills the floorboard and kills the imobalizer it will usually be totaled. Fire is another one that will total a car pretty easy being that insurance companies arent in the business of repairing wiring looms. Most auto shops dont know dick about wire bundle repair so its strictly wire harness replacement which can be very costly on the part and more so on the labor. Then to top it off with an aluminum car the heat is a bigger threat.
    Take a loon on Copart, between Ferrari and lamborghini there is almost always a crispy car listed. Im watching a yellow 360 at the moment, if you look its the one with the ugliest ghetto wheels ever put on a prancing horse.

17. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    True that! Lol

Attached Files:

AuthenticRebuilds likes this.
  18. V8Fun

V8Fun Karting

Aug 16, 2010
    Chicago West Suburbs
    Full Name:
    Mike
  19. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    I have 2 of these automatic fire extinguishers in the engine bay of my ski boat, 1 in my 928, and a different fire extinguisher in my Land Rover: https://www.amazon.com/Fireball-Automatic-Fire-Extinguisher-HY-0500/dp/B0748MPFCS/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=fire+extinguisher+ball&qid=1558628183&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

They are just so cheap that the piece of mind seems worth it. $28!

Just plastic coated balls of compressed fire retardant. They can't fail. Heat melts the plastic coating enough that the internal pressure of the retardant blows out over your engine.

20. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    I'd urge you to NOT pop the engine cover when you've already got an engine fire.

First, you want an automatic fire extinguisher in your engine bay, not a manual fire extinguisher, but... if you are going to spray a manual extinguisher (please don't) then spray from the ground angled up, not opening the engine cover and spraying down.

21. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Do they work? Is there any independent testing? Are they UL rated or meet NFPA guidelines/standards? What is their fire extinguishing rating? (all fire extinguishers have a numerical rating of their effectiveness on various types of fires) Where do you place it to be most effective, or do you mount several? How hot must it get before it sets off? I'm just dubious how much piece of mind one gets from a $28 plastic ball made in China ;)

22. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    More peace of mind than if one has no automatic fire extinguishers in the engine bay...

23. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I've seen the videos, they are all over Instagram and Facebook. I have never seen a reputable group, society or governmental agency endorse these devices as a legitimate fire extinguishing product.

24. 65ffrcobra

65ffrcobra Rookie

Jun 6, 2018
    Full Name:
    Gary Evans
    Just glad this did not happen in your garage. Sorry for that fire.

No Doubt likes this.
  25. AuthenticRebuilds

Feb 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    david
    sometimes the best designs are the most simple, I like this, and dont need the government to make me feel warm and fuzzy over it vs nothing at all.