365 BB Chassis 17553 Nut and Bolt Restoration | FerrariChat

365 BB Chassis 17553 Nut and Bolt Restoration

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by cnpapa24, May 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Since as long as I remember, I have loved the Ferrari Boxer possibly more than any other Ferrari. I was fortunate enough to purchase my first Ferrari, an 1984 512 BBI in 2013 and the car was everything I hoped it would be since dreaming about them as a child in the 80s. About 12 months later, I decided to add a 365 Boxer to have “book end” models. After my first long drive I was utterly blown away. The potency of the carbed 12 cylinder engine, the peakiness of the cams, the sound, the handling, the gearbox, was all I could ever ask for in a vintage Ferrari, not to mention the looks!

After a year of owning both I found myself only driving the 365 Boxer and decided to part ways with the BBI. To me the 365 BB is the ultimate vintage Ferrari and nothing can offer the all around package that it can for anywhere near the value.

Fast forward to early 2019 and I noticed a yellow 365 BB for sale at Copley Motors. I didn’t pay that much attention at first, though I had alway thought yellow with Boxer trim was among the best liveries for a Boxer. A month or so later I noticed it was still offered for sale. I decided to dig in a bit further and saw it was being represented as the Road and Track test car from the June 1975 issue, as well as an article in Playboy and Oui magazine.

I started talking to Paul Newman about the car and the possibility of doing a full restoration of the car to concours condition. After several conversations and a friendly negotiation with the good people at Copley, I made a deal on the car subject to a PPI by Paul.

Paul inspected the car a few days later, performing a thorough analysis of its originality, soundness, etc and gave it a positive review and determine it was an ideal restoration candidate. The deal was completed shortly thereafter and the car was shipped to me and then to Paul to start his work.

Above are a few photos of the car when Copley was marketing it.

2. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Over the course of the restoration Paul will be posting updates of the work and I its history.

I hope you all enjoy following along. The car is nearly completely assembled at this time so there is no turning back now!

ingegnere likes this.
  3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    *thumbs up*

cnpapa24 likes this.
  4. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Congratulations!!! The Boxer is among my very favourite of all Ferraris too. I too used to dream about them when I was a child. They look, go and sound fantastic. I love the yellow and black livery too. I'm sure you will love owning this car and enjoy the journey of its rebuild by Paul.

cnpapa24 likes this.
  5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Absolutely beautiful !

Can wait for step by step restoration ..but the pics doesn't look like it needs it :)

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

6. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #6 cnpapa24, May 11, 2019
    Last edited: May 11, 2019
    The car was imported in 1975 by GE “Bud” Keeney, of Newport Beach, CA, owner of Rapid Photo. Doing some research, Keeney was a multiple Ferrari owner and has owned some significant cars including a 250 LM and a 512 S!

Does anyone know if Bud is still active in the Ferrari community? Would love to chat with him about the car.

7. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #7 cnpapa24, May 11, 2019
    Last edited: May 11, 2019
    ingegnere, turbo-joe and miurasv like this.
  8. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I meant to say disassembled!

dinogt4guy and turbo-joe like this.
  9. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks, Steven. I have no doubt!

10. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thank you. The paint shows very nicely, but the car is ready for a restoration. The mechanicals were a bit tired, the interior was wrong with the 512 BBI seats and steering wheel, the sidemarkers atrocious, and so on. It is the perfect candidate to be redone as it is a running and driving car with a solid and straight body and nearly all of its original components.

11. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  12. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  13. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Just a few of the key items that need to go, more to come.

If you look at the marker light thats so big you can see it from outer space you'll see the small hint of the original repeater hole above it that someone missed when they hogged the massive hole in the clam. Their blunder saves me from measuring to find the exact location though.

BBi seats 83/84 according to the head rests with the horizontal strip.

5 point harness anchored to sheet metal. Only 2 of the 5 points were actually mounted to something worthy (the two original lap belt anchors).

Coolant tank should be mounted on the left side of the engine bay being build number 27 and the starter solenoid is 79 and later.

Love how the DOT lamp was retained.

I know how much you love the steering wheel Chris but its gotta go....

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

miurasv and of2worlds like this.
  14. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Lock barrel was a surprise. Ive seen them on 82 boxers where the barrel is in the clam not the door - doesn't belong on this car.

Oil cooler was missing which I noted during the PPI but the coolant pipes that are specific to the 365 with a cooler were still there. The cooler was bypassed with a hose thankfully. I scored this cooler listed as a 246 cooler on ebay.

Crash bar evidence on the door edge.

365 pedals are different, wider brake and clutch and covered throttle ala dino, maybe less tapered is a better term. The dead pedal is also more substantial than a 512.

Center row of louvers shouldn't be there, they will disappear.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  16. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  17. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    the hydraulic shocks for the rear bonnet have been original?

18. 53ford

53ford Karting

Nov 13, 2009
    Might as well drop in an F113G while you're in there. Keep the carbs.

Newman likes this.
  19. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Maybe in mine instead :)

20. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Some of the 365 details that differ from a later 512.

The front trunk is very different. Front wall is straight across aluminum rather than a formed semi-circle out of fiberglass and the spare tire cover has a straight edge to fit it. The lower well is also a different shape, smaller than the 512.

The cover over the master was also on the 512 up to 78.

The console and controls layout are very different than the 512 not to mention the harness for the console is one with the main harness.

Without being disrespectful the changes as the cars evolved are seen by me improvements. Some things that were clearly directed at making assembly easier for Ferrari, some making for a better car and others to cut cost. Learning from mistakes is another driving force behind some of the changes.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Just some cool shots.

Wrong coil and mounted on a custom panel (I dont know why), wrong starter solenoid, coolant tank, plug wires should have red exposed wire at cap end and looms are incorrect. Note joined fuel banjo fittings on carbs and correct block main stud nuts. Distributor pickup is generic and no doubt superior to the OEM part and the second pickup is missing / blocked off but its the right distributor which is the main thing.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

ChipG likes this.
  22. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  23. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Build 27 written in crayon on several interior panels and stamped on the drip rails, headlight masks etc...

A/c evaporator is very different than the 512 and very difficult to access occupying the area under the passenger foot rest. A/C blower is just another heater blower motor mounted to what looks like a toilet flange. And if you thought 512 A/C was insufficient this 365 has one cold air outlet - the center vent on the top of the dash!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    of2worlds likes this.
  25. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ