Mondial QV and 3,2 gearbox | FerrariChat

Mondial QV and 3,2 gearbox

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Lesoinne, Apr 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lesoinne

Lesoinne Rookie

Apr 30, 2019
    Liège, Belgium
    Full Name:
    Pascal Lesoinne
    Hi guys, I have badly damaged the housing of the gearbox of my 1988 Mondial 3,2. I'm considering to repair it but that will go with a lot of bearings and other parts change. As an alternative I have located a 2nd hand 1985 Mondial QV gearbox at a dealer shop here in Belgium. Does anyone know if the gearbox of QV and 3,2 model are similar ? Thanks for your help !

2. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Welcome!
    Yes, they should be the same, but the gears might have a shorter or longer run.. Swiss Mondials have very long 1e and 2nd gear for example... (Emission fun etc..)

Let someone check the state of the 2nd hand one unless you have warranty.

HTH
    Tijn

Rifledriver likes this.
  3. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Sorry to hear Pascal. Good luck with the repair!

4. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    How did this happen ? Its very rare those gearboxes fail...
    Guido

5. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Some folks think these are Borg Warner 4 speeds and you can dump the clutch and start jamming gears. That ain't how they work.

6. Lesoinne

Lesoinne Rookie

Apr 30, 2019
    Liège, Belgium
    Full Name:
    Pascal Lesoinne
    Well, MvT, thanks for your feedback, I will have it inspected properly and will then try to fit it

As to how this happened, I bought the car 3 years ago and it had already a noise somewhere in the transmission and
    I could sense something that had to do with the transmission to the right wheel of the car.
    I changed the oil few months ago and did not notice too much wear (little scraps on the draining cap) but suddenly
    a month ago while driving there came an horrible noise out of the gearbox and I saw oil dropping. I then realized that one bolt from
    the gear of the differential had sheared and that the bolt head being stuck against one of the other bolts still in place had pushed a hole
    in the upper casing of the differential.
    When dismantling I could see it had already rotated inside the casing damaging the lower casing as well...
    No idea why this bolt sheared, I have checked the differential gear as I thought it was the origin of the noise and
    could have been the reason for the bolt shearing but it does not seem in bad shape.... I will keep investigating....

7. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
  8. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    #8 theunissenguido, May 2, 2019
    Last edited: May 2, 2019
    Where are you located in Belgium ? Aluminium can be repaired by welding. There is LAG in Bree (https://www.lag.eu/nl/over-lag) that has very good aluminium welders. They make truck trailers.You can go there and ask them the possiblitys to repair your part. I did once with exellent results...
    (but now that Chinese $$ ownes the company I dont know if it still possible to ask this).
    Guido

9. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
  10. Lesoinne

Lesoinne Rookie

Apr 30, 2019
    Liège, Belgium
    Full Name:
    Pascal Lesoinne
    Thanks Guido, I live in the surroundings of Liège and I have located a good welding workshop here around. they are welding the upper casing of the differential today; We'll see how it goes and go for welding the main casing of the gearbox if all goes well next week. thanks for your help !:)

theunissenguido likes this.
  11. Lesoinne

Lesoinne Rookie

Apr 30, 2019
    Liège, Belgium
    Full Name:
    Pascal Lesoinne
  12. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Je suis heureux de vous avoir donné la bonne idée. Espérons que les soudeurs réussiront une réparation parfaite !
    Peut-être quelques images pour plaire au forum...

Guido

13. Lesoinne

Lesoinne Rookie

Apr 30, 2019
    Liège, Belgium
    Full Name:
    Pascal Lesoinne
    Hi guys,
    Just an update to tell you that my car is back on the road.
    I bought a 2nd hand gearbox from Stefan (I think he is known as Stekke4fun on Fchat) coming from a 3.0 QV, had to do minor adaptations
    and a small overhaul (sensors, etc) but all went well and I can now enjoy driving again.
    I will now try to get the damaged casing properly welded and try to re-assembly the gearbox as a spare.Thanks all for your help and advice.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

theunissenguido and Wade like this.
  14. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Hey Pascal, nice to hear your car is back on the road! I'm very happy I was able to help you :)

theunissenguido and Wade like this.