250 GTO selling price thread (DUE TO REQUESTS) | Page 5 | FerrariChat

250 GTO selling price thread (DUE TO REQUESTS)

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by bannishg, Mar 19, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Don't know if accurate, RHD 330LMB #4725SA was sold by Talacrest to its new owner for $16 million US according to Barchetta late last year..

2. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    The problem with the LM is that it is a MUCH harder car to drive than the GTO, both on track and especially on the street.

3. bannishg

bannishg Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Springfield area, MA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #103 bannishg, May 2, 2013
    Last edited: May 2, 2013
    That was late LAST year, I took a screencap of the ad from 2011 when it was at that price and will post if I find it. I guarantee they had it listed for that price. Perhaps they changed it shortly after because they underestimated its place in the market or maybe a typo. Possibly could've been late '10. It was before they were offering that P4 at $20m which might have also sold for something higher. They definitely had that car listed for awhile, but had it as "POA" most of the time. Definitely wouldn't doubt the price jump over those 1.5 to 2 years, though.

The price it ultimately sold at, $16m, will always be the more relevant one though.

4. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Yes, there are a number of very knowledgeable people on this site with actual experience of the cars who agree. Doug Nye in the latest issue of Octane magazine says something like the LM is as uncongenial on the road as the GTO is a delight. He still loves the LM though, as I've read on this site.

5. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Inaccurate.
    And this car now lives in Switzerland.

Marcel Massini

6. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    there is a thread here ( with photos ) ( or the other place ) that deals with the sale of the car and it's color change to yellow by the new owner...

7. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  8. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Considering that a 330 GTO has not sold for many, many years, what's your basis for positing that it "should be" a bargain "in today's market when compared to pricing of the 250 GTO...?"

9. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    Which LM ? The 330 LMB is an enjoyable ride anywhere one may want to go, Ed Niles says the same about the one he drove ( he posted his comment somewhere here )

10. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    250LM (275).

11. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    a lot would depend on what set up is under the car, an all out competition set up would make for a rude fun drive on public roads... certainly easy enough to change on any car for a more enjoyable ride...

12. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  13. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    BANNED Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    What were the numbers for the acquire and sell on 4091 with Bob Epstein? Bob told me on the LM but we never discussed the GTO numbers.

Was Kerry Payne a real owner or just a broker/flipper? He touched 5909 and 4091 going Bob.

4091 did have an aborted sale to someone in Texas in 1978. It was on a truck headed to the new owner when Bob changed his mind and had the truck U-turn and bring the car back. Anyone know who the almost buyer was?

Jeff

14. bannishg

bannishg Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Springfield area, MA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #114 bannishg, May 2, 2013
    I think the price on the one you said got aborted, I remember hearing, was exactly $100k in I want to say August 78 though $100k is suspicious because this would be $20k less than the LM went for around the same time, perhaps this may have been the reason the sale was cancelled? Both cars were being offered by Epstein that month in FML with no prices.

I do know that one sold in July, possibly #3387 (but will probably be corrected by Marcel later) to DeFriece for $99,000 and was touted as the "last sub-100k GTO". This despite the notion that 3387 was never in FML that year, but since it was still in its infancy I suppose the transaction could have took place without it being picked up by Roush beforehand.

Obviously I wasn't surveying the sale because I wasn't born yet, but was told about it by a dealer who Griswold had offered the car to back in the day.

15. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    based on gossip and general discussion, the favored 250GTO has been leading the market to the $35 - $40 mil range and possibly higher, while the general scuttlebut does not approach to give such high value to the 4 liter cars: 330 GTO and 330 LMB. It was mentioned early in this thread a LMB alledgedly traded at a meager 16 mil. I haven't heard of anyone talking about waving bigger money, most of the talk about offers has been at lower levels rather than market leading levels of the 250GTO in spite of there being only 2 330 GTO and 4 330 LMB putting any trade ( even the 16 mil sale ) at bargin levels when compared to the group leading sales... while they do not share the provenance of the leading 250GTO, they do have a common evolution and share a rarety not available to the average 250 GTO... someone can show up with a 250 GTO and find 20 others like it at a concurs... they remain a bargain until somone pays more than is being paid for the 250 GTO...

16. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    BANNED Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    For a period of time Bob owned both 5909 and 4091. At one point he decided to pare down to one. As he told me at the time he initially decided that he wanted to keep the LM but then, while the GTO was on its way to Texas, changed his mind. He then decided that it was the GTO he wanted more. During some of this period he had me take the LM to a So Cal show where I was to, if asked by anyone, say that it could be bought for $100K.

Jeff

17. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    A few points, the 330LMB is based on the GTO platform and as such would have some reflected value BUT it isnt a GTO so if you want a GTO then you buy a GTO...... Not a 330LMB... Possibly assisting in value is that the 330LMB is a far rarer car with only 3/4 built and can be used in GTO events.

As for the W196, it is the only one in private hands. The W125 also has one in public hands and I am unhappy to report that it is in the hands of one Bernard Charles Ecclestone. It very rarely gets demonstrated much less actively displayed anywhere, not such an issue when the works cars are used frequently..... This car was the "other" Grand Prix Benz from the Neil Corner/ Colin Crabbe collection(s) part restored in the 1970s, excellent stories about all of that in Louis Sugahara's book about the Silver Arrows, but I digress.

One story when BCE was collecting in the 1990's was that he would eventually get the collection to the level that he would demonstrate them before Grand Prix. As yet the only Grand Prix they have been used at was two years ago in the middle east........

What it sold for, who would really know, BCE is notoriously private and finally the value for any Grand Prix cars is severly dented by their complete lack of usability. Unless you are the right size, like to drive on your own and want to only use them on a track plus want to pay the mega mega high cost of race prepping them. Well you would gravitate to a GT wouldnt you ?.

18. bannishg

bannishg Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Springfield area, MA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #118 bannishg, May 2, 2013
    Thanks for that

Guys, I apologize for the inaccurate posts today, too. Guess I do it a lil too hastily sometimes, usually get it from barchetta.cc but apparently they can be a little off sometimes too. Some of the dates I got from them have been corrected by Marcel. I give them credit because you can't stay on top of all 10,000+ cars in their registry when new developments and revisions in histories are always being made. And all in all they have pretty damn impressive accuracy...

Still I'm no acclaimed historian of any kind, just a twenty-something who has a interest in vintage Ferraris at a level that's uncharacteristic for most people his age, at least that's how it's been put to me by some women in my life when in the nicest mood possible, but I won't get into that... :/

At least I think I'm still right about #3387. Only thing for sure is that it uas under $100k, but the dealer who told me about the sale (I was inquiring about back issues of FML he was selling) was probably accurate with his stuff. t's possible he may have been off by a year. He said 78 but it also could have been 77 for all I know. If anybody here saw DeFriece regularly at meets, when was the first time you saw him in a GTO?

19. Alexander GTB

Alexander GTB Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 29, 2019
    Dusseldorf
    Full Name:
    Alexander Denhartog