Biltmore Estate | FerrariChat

Biltmore Estate

Discussion in 'Travel' started by rob lay, Apr 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Yes. The Porsche 356 East Coast Holiday show was held on that lawn. I have pictures buried somewhere. It was probably 2005 or so.

sjd

rob lay likes this.
  2. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    INCREDIBLE structure and grounds. Visited OTW to FL from NY last fall.

I think our old school robber barons were much cooler than the current crop. When the sign at the head of the "driveway" says something like "Proceed 2.5 miles to the Main House" you know you're on an ESTATE!

(also? leave the weapons in the car. They check)

Modulo_B and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  3. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
  4. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Jennie looks a lot different lol.

I have always liked the "walk in" fireplaces that place has.

rob lay likes this.
  5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Post of the day. :D

6. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    In early January, Ferrari Club of America (FCA) announced a "Biltmore Experience" event May 30-June 2 that featured drives, dinners, wineries. I dawdled two days before trying to register and was wait listed. I checked recently and was told there's no chance of getting into the event. Drat!

FCA North Carolina Region holds a "Mountain Getaway" event every year that often is based at the Biltmore. I don't know if a date for this year's Getaway has been set, but it's usually in August.

DefunctNeurons and rob lay like this.
  7. Ferariguy3

Ferariguy3 Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    Yorktown, NY
    Full Name:
    John
    DefunctNeurons and Nospinzone like this.
  8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    too funny, I took our picture the 20th about 11am. we had done the tour and walked around about 9-11 and then went up there for the pic before leaving for Charlotte.

9. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
  10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  11. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I'll be there.... sort of. I have a meeting on Saturday and obligations down the road in Brevard on Sunday.

p.s. for those touring Biltmore, I strongly recommend the private/concierge tour where a single tour guide takes you (and/or your family) on a tour of whatever you want. You can see the unrestored rooms, the back staircases, get onto the actual rooftop, spend extra time down in the boiler rooms, etc. etc. It is a one-on-one experience and allows you to really become immersed in the details of the architecture. We were allowed on the catwalk/mezzanine above the dining room and got to basically touch the organ pipes and see all the mechanical stuff 'behind the velvet ropes'.

My wife, son, and I did one of those 'private/concierge' tours last year, and I think we spent about 2 hours on it. I have been to Biltmore many many times before, but this particular tour was without question, the best.

DefunctNeurons and Nospinzone like this.
  12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I didn't really know you could do that until I saw a couple getting one in the library. They took them behind the ropes and were showing them a semi-secret passage.

13. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

TBH, if the trip you took a few weeks ago was your first visit to Biltmore, then indeed the group tour is a great choice. It gives a solid background of the house and family -- because the private/concierge thing is unscripted, you don't get any context or broad strokes. It is just a deep dive. In my family's case, we wanted the mechanics of the house. Other guests might want to highlight furniture, clothing, lifestyle, or whatever. The private/concierge tour gives those options, but at the expense of a 50,000 foot overview.

DefunctNeurons and rob lay like this.