Help please 812 drill free plate mount | FerrariChat

Help please 812 drill free plate mount

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Scraggy, May 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Grateful if anyone has a steer on front plate mount for UK RHD 812 with no drilling, ideally to fit a small plate size with personalised (fewer characters). Many thanks all, Stephen

2. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
  3. Trax

Trax Formula 3

May 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Douglas
    why not just get a sticker if you can really be bothered with a plate - its only a £60 fine first time you get stopped without one - but police generally just tell you to sort it and send you off

4. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
  5. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Where the HR01 is works. Get then to make up two aluminium triangles with 3M double sided tape. They did this on my Speciale and it works fine. The stuck it to the car and had the plate drilled into the two aluminium brackets

6. 4RE F12

4RE F12 Karting

Apr 19, 2016
    B.C., Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew W.
    T
    Stephen,

I purchased this very cool 2 pcs milled, black, plate mount system for my F12 (from fmov.ca) that clamps down onto one of the lower horizontal struts of my front spoiler using an Allen Wrench key. It has rubber mounts to prevent any scratching or drilling into the spoiler... i have been told that it also fits the 812SF. it’s the bomb and it's very rigid/stable at hwy speeds- no 3M Tape involved! FMOV had them custom made for their clients !! Best system I’ve ever seen - very aesthetic. U can email Justin at FMOV in Vancouver, BC, Canada for more details: [email protected]. Cost: Cdn$450.

R J likes this.
  7. Jasper333

Jasper333 Rookie

Jun 1, 2017
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Carbonio is the way to go. Picked up one for my 488 and it works a treat. Takes seconds to put on/ take off. I’m sure they will have a version for the 812 available. Will certainly be getting one for mine when it gets here!

8. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I spoke to them a while ago and they thought a TDF one would fit, but as I said that was a while ago so they may have a new one available. I have an F12 one and its great.

9. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    I agree . I bought the carbonio for my 488 and works fab - il also be looking out for their solutions for my 812 and pista when they arrive . Yes I used to have no problem for several years with no front plate on my 458 coupe then spider but when I got my speciale for some completely non-sensical reason I got stopped by my local police about 3 times in 4 weeks and although didn't get fined the irritation ball-ache wasn't worth it .....

10. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Very kind all.

Anecdote - got pulled over in my dealers demo with no plate and UK police were NOT relaxed at all about it.

11. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    tough grill pattern to fashion a no drill, no sticker plate holder solution.

12. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

UK police weren't even relaxed about my sticker number plate on the front bumper of the F40. Not vertical, wrong size etc. Just managed to escape a fine, thankfully.

13. Carbonio

Carbonio Formula 3

Dec 1, 2009
  14. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Thanks Rob
    I have just ordered one. It’s a bit premature but I should be getting the car in the next 6 months hopefully!

15. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    Have ordered one for my 812. Arrives tomorrow I think — the Carbonio plate holder. Couldn’t find the YouTube instructional video for this plate holder being fitted to an 812 though — could find other models. If you have one, would be great to see. I have read the instructions but a little tricky to envisage in the abstract — although perhaps it all becomes clear and is simple once I see the plate holder. A video instructional would be great.

16. seawise

seawise Karting

Feb 29, 2016
    Sussex, UK
    I have ordered one as well, in advance of getting pulled by the fuzz.

R J likes this.
  17. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    I have one on my 812.
    Play with it first before sticking plate to plate holder.
    It is a really good solution but you do need to decide on position you want plate and set it up accordingly.

18. seawise

seawise Karting

Feb 29, 2016
    Sussex, UK
    will do, thanks

19. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I bought a Carbonio as the F 12 one was great, the 812 mount is still in the box, i tried to fit it 3 times but thought it would damage the mesh. So I kept the sticky plate on the front bumper.

20. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    My Carbonio plate mount for the 812 just arrived. Two problems (1) I have the same feeling as @Wheels1 - it looks like it will damage the mesh grill; (2) one of the spring loaded hooks is missing the rubber protector pads on the flat plates and the hooks - so will definitely cause abrasion damage. Have just emailed Carbonio for solution / fix - awaiting reply.

@ajr550 have you found it to be a safe mount that does not risk damaging the mesh grill? Am assuming so as you are using it. The mesh grill feels a little too delicate for such a high pressure spring compression mount.

21. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    You have me worried now !
    I/Dealer tried it in several positions and it does not seem to have damaged anything.
    I went for plate to the side of Prancing Horse (ie not central).
    It may be possible to use below Pranging Horse if you stick plate as far down the mount as you can.

22. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    I am prone to paranoid worry when it comes to my cars. Get pleasure from keeping them pristine. So there may be nothing to my concerns. Hope so (especially as you have fitted it). You would have a better view on this as you have fitted it. I have not tried yet (rubber bits missing from the one they shipped to me so would definitely damage mine).

Saw your stunning 812 around London this weekend just passed. Did notice your side position on the plate.

23. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    Found some decent looking stick on plates at https://proplates.co.uk/collections/stick-on-number-plates. Have ordered two in different sizes to see how they will look. Will send photos to this chat group / thread once they arrive.

ajr550 likes this.
  24. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    Not 100% on plate position aesthetically (looks cool on old cars with Italian plates !!) but probably will leave it there now.
    The size of UK plates, the way mount works and not wanting to interfere with air flow mean it is not completely straightforward deciding where to position.For me the best compromise was my position.I just did not want drill holes in front of car.
    I will be interested to see the stick on option.

R J likes this.
  25. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Here is mine, please click the pic for larger version.

KNOKKi and ajr550 like this.