Who's going to The Mitty? | FerrariChat

Who's going to The Mitty?

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Gatorrari, Apr 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Now that it appears we're going to have brilliant weather on the weekend, who's going to The Mitty this year? I'll be showing my car with the Festivals of Speed folks on Saturday. Will there be any other Ferraris on the premises? And Alfa Romeo is the featured marque, so I'd like to see lots of Alfas cruising around.

(And don't forget Caffeine & Exotics in Sandy Springs on Sunday morning. I'll be there, too.)

2. AbarthDave1

AbarthDave1 Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2015
    Marietta
    My Friend and I are taking his Red 75 Alfa Spider up to the Mitty Saturday. Look forward to seeing many nice Alfas there.

Dave

3. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    I am planning on taking my two sons on Sunday

4. DefunctNeurons

DefunctNeurons Formula Junior

May 15, 2018
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Didn’t realize the Mitty was this weekend. Does that mean Ferrari’s and Cappuccinos aren’t happening? I finally get a nice weekend to take the car out and everything’s going on at the same time!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Based on the entry list, there'll be a decent number of them on the track as well. Only one Ferrari, though.

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Both events are happening on Saturday, so you'll have to take your pick. I'll be at Road Atlanta.

7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I was there Fri and today.

Wasnt a big turnout. For such a beautiful day, This Sat was a bit of a disappointment in the infield.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Any photos of the cars that made it on the track? I wish I still lived in the area as I would have been there.

9. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    Saturday was packed with Alfa's on the ground. I counted about 40 in the infield parking, then that paddock was full of great stuff.

10. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Alfa was featured.

The rest was the worst turnout I have seen in 23 years. I haven't missed a single one since 97.

Here I am Fri at lunch.

11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I saw your car on Saturday, surrounded by Alfas, but was sorry to miss you. I was parked in the vendor Fan Zone with the Festivals of Speed group, along with about 25 other cars (including an entire Cobra club) which included two other Ferraris and Ivan Ruiz's Maserati Bora. Photos to come sometime this week.

12. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    I was there yesterday with Graham and Austin, we had a great time and we were able to get the E55 on the track for Parade Laps. I commented to the boys that this is the smallest attended Mitty I've seen in over 2 decades.

13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    For whatever reason, Saturday seemed to be the one day that was well attended. There were so many events going on around town - including a couple that I would have liked to have attended.

14. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    There wan't even that many vendors.

15. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    Well Ferrari never shows up at anything. But I have been going since we use to just have Street cars at the Walter Mitty back around 1983. I thought Saturday was packed for the "a Mitty" the infield had tons of campers, then again I don't usually hang out in the infield. So I could be wrong there. But the spectators seemed strong, the car that ran the Mitty seemed like a large number. I think John Finger said 20 some NASCAR racers were signed. I don't go to see that.

16. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I was only disappointed that no one was serving breakfast. But a good BBQ plate from Sonny's (who I've been getting BBQ from since 1972!) made up for that. Auto Brass, one of my long-time favorites was there, and I did buy a t-shirt from them. I do regret passing up on buying a copy of "Rosso Bianco Collection" for $95, because I've since discovered that's a great price for a phenomenal book. I bought a good (if pricey) lemonade from the other food vendor in the afternoon.

17. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I was glad to be invited by Joe Sabatini to park my car with the Festivals of Speed group, starting with the fact that I got in for free! Joe must have a thing for 308s/328s. We ultimately had about 25 cars parked there, including an entire Cobra club. On the other side of the FoS tent were a couple of seldom-seen Alfa Romeo 8C's, in keeping with Alfa being the featured marque. Ferrari of Atlanta brought a trio of cars, and it was neat to see a 512 BBi parked next to a 488 Pista, which is the first time I had seen one of those outdoors. But whenever I was in that area, I heard a lot of people say they'd rather have the Boxer than the Pista, and I'm not so sure I'd disagree with that! So much for 45+ years of technological development!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    There were some nice cars displayed elsewhere in the Vendor Village/Fan Zone, including a couple of nice specimens in British Racing Green, and a Nissan display with a beautifully restored 280ZX. And the Exocet people had the off-road version of their beast, with a good deal more ground clearance than their regular offerings.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I then headed across the road to the car corral area, first spotting a gorgeous '56 Cadillac Coupe de Ville. I was a bit surprised to see "Nineteen Fifty-Six" on the right end of the dashboard; I've never heard of any manfacturer doing that; does anyone know whether this was standard or an option on this or any car? And I got a kick out of an otherwise unidentified Porsche Cayman using its license plate to say "NEIN 11"! (Shades of a Morgan I once saw with "NOTAMG"!)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Unlike past years where the Italian car corral was almost empty, this year it was full of Alfa Romeos who heeded to call to support the official marque of the event. I spotted the lovely Giulietta Sprint Speciale pulling out; maybe the best-looking car Bertone ever styled. I recognized a few of the cars from Italian Car Day and spotted Doc Cosgrove's 308, the only Ferrari in the corral, though I never saw him. I also spotted a rare '68 Mercury Cyclone; ironically a similar car once campaigned by the Wood Brothers and Cale Yarborough in NASCAR was in the stock car race later that day, but it would be defeated by a '06 Dodge driven by some old codger from Dawsonville named.....Bill Elliott!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

WJC and DrinkMan like this.
  20. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Great pics as always, Jim!

21. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    A few late arrivals to the Festivals of Speed group included Ivan Ruiz with his lovely golden Bora, with fitted luggage matching the interior. A couple of Vipers were allowed to park with the other "snakes", but I don't know how that Audi snuck in there! And a nearby Miata seemed tired of all the goings-on.

The Alfa 8C is a gorgeous car that deserves to be seen more often, and I noted that its lines reminded me of that Giulietta Sprint that I had seen earlier. The three FoA Ferraris proved that, even though Ferrari has many shades of red now, good old Rosso Corsa still looks pretty darn good.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. DrinkMan

DrinkMan Rookie

Nov 14, 2014
    North GA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    While I was disappointed with the light turn out this year, we did have a great time. We brought our Lancia on Friday and our Alfa (the blue '69 roundtail - "Oh Romeo") on Saturday. On Sunday, we made some noise with Triumph Spit6 with its loud exhaust. The real fun was on the track. Loved seeing the NASCAR cars taking right turns and climbing hills. The highlight for me was seeing all the Alfas out there on the track (including ours for the Parade lap).

23. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I listened to the event from my shop/house, which is literally 10 minutes (if that) from RA, whilst rebuilding my Pop's 2L Alfa Romeo engine. Does that count? I would have come out if some of the 70s vintage flat 12 machinery were there...

24. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    In March of 2018 the F1 Clienti program was there with some high-revving V-10 engines, which was exciting enough. Were you there?