Searching for a Mondial in the UK - Nice to meet you all | FerrariChat

Searching for a Mondial in the UK - Nice to meet you all

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by nickpan, Apr 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nickpan

nickpan Rookie

Apr 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Nicholas Panayotou
    Evening All,

Real pleasure to meet you all and thank you for the many many pages of valuable information in this forum.

Recently sold my air cooled 911 (tough decision) as I have decided to enter the world of Ferrari in the form of a Mondial. I love the modestly of its looks, its versatility, practicality and its wonderful sound.

I have driven one car - a 87 3.2 coupe - one word... awesome.

There's a few nice looking examples at local dealers but I'd be interested to know if any enthusiast cars are soon to be on the market or any other general buying advice. Also interested to know what one should be paying for an average mileage (35,000?) mid 80s coupe in 2019 assuming FSH?

Happy Easter All!

Nick

2. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Welcome Nick and good luck with the search. I used to own a 1983 QV. I had that nearly 6 years. Personally I would buy a 3.2. Nicer looking with colour coded and bigger bumpers than the QV and does not require the slightly more expensive engine out belt service 3.4T.

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Much of the buying guide to 308/328 applies to Mondials plus other quirks should be covered in existing threads in this section

Adverts on pistonheads should give an indication to price but as currently little is allegedly moving discounts could be good

Be sure to get any car properly checked as you are new to the marque and might miss something a good PPI could find

4. nickpan

nickpan Rookie

Apr 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Nicholas Panayotou
    Thank you both.

Please may I ask for your thoughts on the following car?

5. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    I am on my 4th Ferrari after many years of air cooled ownership. I have a Mondial T, which I chose with care after a long hunt. I knew that I wanted a T and I was keen to find a car that hadn't been sitting in a garage undriven for much of it's life, as my experience has taught me that italian cars need to be driven regularly otherwise large lists of niggles can spoil the ownership experience.

Mondials are amazing value and combine long distance comfort with go-kart like performance depending of which suspension setting you choose. Have a look at Harry Metcalf's video of driving his Testarossa to the South of France to collect an outboard engine, as this echos my experience of long journeys in my Mondial. Good luck with your hunt. Where are you based? What colours are you considering? I'm sure that one of us will be able to talk you through our buying/ownership experiences. Let me know if you'd like a drive in a "T".

6. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
  7. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Furlonger car may be toppy price but thats partly due to luggage (which could be sold separately or a couple of grand - probably to USA) & sports exhaust - the latter may be too loud & make travelling tiring - only a drive will tell - they seem to have a goodish reputation

8. nickpan

nickpan Rookie

Apr 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Nicholas Panayotou
    That’s a wonderful looking car!

I am based in London - thank you very much for the offer, I’d love you to take me for a drive in the T if you’re close by?

Thanks for all the very helpful advice. My ideal colours should I be able to choose would be either a blue like yours, the darker blue and the silver. The red is always nice but a little overstated for me!

9. nickpan

nickpan Rookie

Apr 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Nicholas Panayotou
    Thank you for the feedback. The luggage was certainly a nice to have and the sports exhaust made it sound fantastic with some pops and crackles on the overrun. However, I’ve not heard a car with a standard exhaust so I’m probably not best placed to judge!

10. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    JLF likes this.
  11. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    I think it's Blu Chiaro. I like these more subtle ferraris in blue.

JLF likes this.
  12. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Welcome and good luck with your search!

I came from the air-cooled 911 world as well and decided to look for a Mondial several years back. After doing a bit of reading and research on the cars, I focused on finding a nice, 3.2 Coupe. It took several years to find the right car, but I ended up with a car that is almost a twin to the one in the link that you shared. It's a great car. I like it so much that I decided to sell the air-cooled cars and just stick with the Mondial. It's the perfect classic machine - great sound, looks, and driving experience.

Again, good luck with your search - you've locked onto a nice target.

2cam

13. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Did you mean to add a link?

14. nickpan

nickpan Rookie

Apr 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Nicholas Panayotou
    Hello - I have hyperlinked “car”. Thank you.

MalcQV likes this.
  15. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Oh yes you did. I missed that :p

16. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    That looks nice. I don't know anything about Furlonger though they have been around for a while. Not heard anything bad. The 3.2 as I mentioned would be my choice/balance. I love the color combo, typical Ferrari colours? Who cares because IMHO they look the best.
    I guess the next thing to do is view it. FWIW I've had three Ferraris. The first, the Mondial QV was bought private and I tried to get an inspection done on the car and I forget who it was I asked but they kept cancelling. The owner was looking to re-advertise it so I just took the chance.

Second was an F355 and I had a PPI done. Third and current was my 360, I liked it and bought it. I don't really recommend doing that though. However if you ignore the massive return the F355 gave me and ignore the massive depreciation my Mondial received, the F355 was the most expensive. Reality though says the F355 was the best. It doubled in value over 5 years I had it. Which brings me to the obvious and how much a Mondial is worth today.
    When I bought my QV in 2004 I paid £14500. P/X'd for my F355 and effectively got £9000 and spent about £4k over nearly six years on maintenance/repairs.
    That sold a few of years ago for £26/7k though had not turned a wheel in five years.
    I personally think you're safer with a Mondial today than say a 360 (for no other reason than I have a 360) if return was a factor. Get a PPI though if you like it as on my F355 it pointed me at a lot of faults which helped me drive the price down a bit. I never had that with the other two. I definitely saved more than the £400 PPI costs over all.

17. nickpan

nickpan Rookie

Apr 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Nicholas Panayotou
  18. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    It has 348 wheels whose look I like and means 17 in tyres so a slightly harsher ride than whatever was original (TRX maybe ?)

GTB is auction house nonsense

19. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Auctions make me nervous. It's usually hard to get a good look at the car before bidding. But on the other hand all old cars are a risk, even with a PPI.

Maybe see if they'll let you view the receipts? If so you can see how recent the last service was, and maybe even pull the mechanic/shop name off the receipt and give them a call about the car. Also, beyond the wheels somebody has modified this car a bit. Mondials never came with a GTB emblem anywhere on the car. the steering wheel and the seats look aftermarket to me, but maybe they were a UK option I'm unaware of.

20. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Looks nice but then pictures want to do that for auctioning/selling a car.
    I certainly like it from the pictures. I would agree with the above comment because neither the seats or steering wheel look quite Mondial but they do suit it well.
    I do however think the seats and steering wheel are off another Ferrari.

21. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    The seats are early 348, and the steering wheel? Definitely not OEM Ferrari.

Also, there are too many imperfections on this car, which would lead me towards an extensive PPI. Expect to find body corrosion as well.

The rear tires seem to be incorrectly sized as well (too tall), which has raised the back end too high. If true, this alerts me that the seller knows little about Mondials, or even Ferraris for that matter.

22. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  23. nickpan

nickpan Rookie

Apr 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Nicholas Panayotou
    Interesting - will definitely pass on this one. Thanks guys!

24. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Front and rear louvre have to be black, so car whas painted in the past...
    Guido

25. Nathan76

Nathan76 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    Leicestershire, UK
    Hi Nick have PMd you

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk