Soon to be first time Ferrari owner. Have questions | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Soon to be first time Ferrari owner. Have questions

Discussion in '612/599' started by CptJoe1983, Sep 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    The shields are likely more important on the 599 since there are more out there for sale. On the 612 some owners prefer the non shield cars. I have never heard a potential buyer say that the shields were a “deal breaker” issue. If the 599 is color, interior and the options you want I would not give the shields a second thought. Besides you might be able to grind the price a bit more for a car w/o shields.

Harry Bradfield likes this.
  2. 599_GTO

599_GTO Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    J.S.
    Couldn’t agree more... all well said. A matter of taste. I have 3 of mine with shields and the one that doesn’t have them is the GTO... and I think all the more special for the fact that they are absent! Everything else sounds perfect on the 599 you have located so don’t hesitate. Being devils advicate though, if I was getting my Dad into a V12 it would definitely be the 612 all the way!!!

randkin likes this.
  3. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

My 599 was ordered without badging. I'm only the second owner, I feel it gives the car a more understated look that appeals to me.

4. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    The obvious advantage of the 612 is that you can enjoy it with others. Perhaps taking the grandkids for rides could peak the interest for future car guys and gals?:cool:

599_GTO likes this.
  5. Harry Bradfield

Apr 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    Harry Bradfield
    Story of search so far. From what I've seen so far it appears it's OK to buy a Ferrari but you must'nt use it much. High milage cars are not at all popular. With this in mind, we've located a 2010 car, one owner but with 50,000 Km on it. Is there any reason I should know why high milage cars are avoided? Not expecting the engines to rival Lexus for longevity but surely with regular servising 100,000 - 150,000 should be easily reached, or are we being naïve?

6. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Yes it will hold up fine. I know of 360s that are over 100,000 miles

7. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    More to the point there are earlier V12 eg 456 550 & 575 which have similar engines & other running gear with large or huge mileages - six figure miles not km

Skidkid likes this.
  8. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    #33 randkin, Apr 24, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    My perception is that many buyers are concern with the resale value as they flip cars often. There so many relative low mile Fcars on the market the higher mile cars just based on supply and demand do not command the same price as a similar equiped low mile car. Also repairs on Fcars tend to be expensive so with higher mile cars there is a higher likely hood some repairs will need be done sooner. If the resale value is not a serious consideration I think a higher mile car is worth serious consideration. Also if it is a Euro cars and you live in the US be sure you can easily register the car in your state. Your profile doesn't say where you reside so keep that in mind.

9. HKS479

HKS479 Karting

Sep 23, 2015
    Zurich, Switzerland
    The other reason Ferraris are so mileage sensitive is because of the way they are used. “Smiles per mile”. Its not usual for these cars to be used on boring motorway journeys where the miles stack up with little impact to the car. Rather when you drive a Ferrari you tend to drive it more enthusiastically. So the wear per mile it likely to be much higher than in regular cars.

If you can find a car with higher miles, regular use pattern and is well maintained with the obvious wear items dealt then you should be fine. They are quite robust cars mechanically.

I hate the whole mileage thing. It ruins the car for me, I want to use it more but I know it will kill its value. I actually wish I had a higher mileage, cheaper car. I would probably enjoy it more.

Jeremy

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Makuono likes this.