Is the Monza selling? | FerrariChat

Is the Monza selling?

Discussion in 'Icona Series (SP1, SP2, & SP3)' started by BarryK, May 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    More than 6 months ago the Monza SP was launched and "sold out" according to Ferrari.

Last week at my dealer, I met one client who is currently being given the hard sell to take an allocation and another one who rejected his allocation back at the launch and has been asked to reconsider. Price seems to be the main issue.

Anyone able to shed more light on their experience?

2. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    One issue for American customers is the Monza can't be registered for street use. The allocations don't always line up with market demand. Some markets are very tight with never enough allocations. This has created a situation where there are clients with a standing order for every single new Ferrari model as it becomes available.
    There was also some resistance to the Japanese J50 model. That deal had to be sweetened with an extra allocation for a different rare Ferrari...

3. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    I heard the rumour about the J50's very high price, "forcing" Ferrari to throw in an Aperta to win over the client and close the deal, but I'm not sure if that actually happened or not. Guess we'll never know.

On a side note: it might be an extremely dumb question, but if a dealer in a certain country can't sell a car like the Monza, can Ferrari take that allocation and move it to a different dealer/country where there's more demand? Again, sorry if that's really stupid question, but I'm pretty much clueless about things like these..

LamboLover, ewright and j09333 like this.
  4. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Can’t the Monza be registered as a show and display car in the USA ??

5. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    In the US you were required to put up a $500k deposit to secure your allocation, I doubt anyone is walking. There is a waiting list at my dealer if someone wanted to not move forward.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I've already been offered one from a U.S. customer not wanting to take his. His offer is at his cost. I declined.

7. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    #7 NeilF8888, May 1, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2019
    It’s a unique Ferrari, different, and not for everyone, but I think it’s the most beautiful car from Maranello in decades. It brings back a different era, I wish I would have bought one of the original Monzas years ago. Can’t wait to do Cavalcade or something similar with the SP2. It’s about having fun!

spyderman, elmadi, ShineKen and 6 others like this.
  8. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    Sorry Ron my reply posted as part of your message

9. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron

10. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    May I ask - if it’s not personal situation/financials only - what factors played into your decision? I hope that came across correctly. Would love to know your thought process/rationale on declining the offer. PM is fine. Thanks

11. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    It's simple. If at least one of the top customers of Ferrari are willing to walk away from the 812 Monza thinking there is no money in the car, then for me buying second hand could be a financial disaster.

12. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    The general view (not saying it is correct) of prospective UK customers is that price in second hand market will be below list.
    Majority of those taking the car are doing so to qualify for future models.
    I think this will become the case across the range though which in many ways is just the market returning to "normality".
    Amazing car.I thought it was a bit "silly" initially but have now been won over.There is definitely a place for Icona and I prefer it to the Aston approach of building replicas of old designs.

daytona355 likes this.
  13. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    The situation in Europe seems different with dealers actively pushing to place cars, at least in the UK and Germany, the two markets I am familiar with. It's a little bit ironic that the US vs Europe situation is not the opposite because the Monza is road legal in Europe and not the US.

14. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    that would be a first. Is there any other "1 of Limited Series" Ferrari with low miles that sells today for less than MSRP when new?

F140C likes this.
  15. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Right? I think this will be one of the threads we laugh at in 10 years when they have tripled in value. N/A V12, no hybrid, limited production- They will do extremely well over time. A quick flip over the next couple years may not be as lucrative as other specials, but the long term value of this car is a certainty.

16. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    hard to see a monza being worth equivalent to a 288 gto or LaF in the long run - i wld think not being dive-able in 50% of the market (usa) wld impact values

daytona355 and LARRYH like this.
  17. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    I could see it not being that desirable in the US if it isn't road legal or useful. Why is a 250 GTO worth so much more than a comparatively rarer racing car of the same vintage? Or a Comp 275 compared to many other period pure competition cars the market values cars that can be driven and enjoyed at social events more than race cars that are unpleasant or difficult to use. Rarity is just one facet of price.

Of course I could be wrong, I'm not exactly participating in this price category at the moment...

j09333 likes this.
  18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    if i had the money i wld totally buy one and leave it in italy and take it to the ferrari runs...

19. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Some US members did say that they can be driven but didnt explain in details. Dealer plates? Show and Display? Montana registration?

In my eyes, the Monza is the most desirable Ferrari in a long time. And yes, more than a Laf, Enzo, GTO, F40 etc. Those are more important and have advanced the brand but the Monza trumps them in the looks department any day of the week.

drsd2002, spyderman, elmadi and 2 others like this.
  20. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    I believe it should qualify for the exemption in the US to be driven up to 2500 miles annually. The DOT website has not been changed to reflect this model on the exempt list but wouldn't be surprised if it did one day. https://www.nhtsa.gov/importing-vehicle

I would love a Monza and would drive it 2,499 miles every year!

21. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i agree with you 99% of the time! monza does nothing for my eyes compared to f40 and f50.

22. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

I wasnt expecting to love the Monza so much. It's the right amount of sensual and retro. I havent seen it irl so that might change...but I feel it's the perfect car for what a Ferrari should be nowadays since we have teslas for 30k that are faster than a 488 or Astons that will obliterate a Laf on the track.

daytona355 likes this.
  23. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Might be conceited, but I bet my 488 would be faster on any track than a $30K Tesla ;) (which may win a 50 ft drag race, I admit - fortunately I don't care about these)

Bundy, daytona355, Bhh and 1 other person like this.
  24. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    I politely passed on my allocation.

carguyjohn350 likes this.