Knee deep | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Knee deep

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Mechanical Dad, Apr 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    While you're in there... I seem to recall that the dash needs to come off if/when replacing the A/C expansion valve. On the 3.2 anyway.

Here's a photo of my ex while having its A/C restored.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

paulchua likes this.
  2. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Well don’t keep us in suspense, let’s have a HOW TO for us tall people to be able to see the gauges.
    Thanks

3. Mechanical Dad

Mechanical Dad Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Well the issue is that the pod "sits in" the dash and not just on top. Maybe someone has found a way to do it that I have not but I did try a few other ways to clock it a bit, but to me, making a new pod would be the best option aesthetically and functionally. The only other possibility I thought of was moving the guages towards the wheel a few inches, but that came to me after everything was back in. That pod weighs as much as the rest of the dash and since its 38 year old plastic, I wasn't going to destroy it. I'm pretty sure I can build a new one out of aluminum or have a friend copy this one and mold one for me. That will have to wait till next year when the car (hopefully) is going in for paint. Too much left to do before the big weekend. Let the next phase commence!

4. Mechanical Dad

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
  5. Mechanical Dad

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    In a way its relaxing. I know it sounds strange, but when you work on your dream, its different. I love making it better almost as much as driving it.

Temple, MvT and theunissenguido like this.
  6. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I had 40 years of engineering, changing a light bulb these days takes a bit of doing.

8. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
  9. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong

Attached Files:

Mechanical Dad likes this.
  10. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    The wooden spacer's 3 bolts replace the original one that tie the pod down and at the same time assemble the upper and lower dash halves. Since pivoting the pod around the rear lower edge moves the bolts backwards and angles them differently, that's the solution. So the pod gets screwed into the holes on the spacer, the spacer mimicks the old mounting to the dash. The rear mounting holes of course don't line up anymore as well so instead of redrilling in an impossible place I tied down the pod around the existing holes in the dash and pod with cable ties in 3 locations.

theunissenguido and MauroV like this.
  11. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Thanks, looks great.
    Does the whole dash have to come off or just the gauge pod to do the mod?
    And the side fillers are they just black pieces that fill in the space opened up when the pod is tilted up. Did you wrap in vinyl or paint or ???
    Any pictures from the side? and why the gauge pictures? I think I'm missing something or it could just be a senior moment. o_O
    Thanks Again I like it.

12. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Hi Bill - sorry, the tilted pics got lost in my previous posts. My senior moment... Only the pod needs to come off. A bit tricky to remove the nuts and bolts inside but doable with a flexible extension. The fillers are just black vinyl covered ABS pieces that fill the gap resulting from tilting.
    I also added a foam tape strip to fill the sideways gap and make things less prone to squeaks. The gauge out pics just to show the cable tie position for the forward fixing. Here the current state of the interior, and non-zoomed view:

It's hardly visible to the non-connaisseurs... but make a huge difference for tall drivers.

13. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Looks like we have the same amp above the radio, factory option?
    I see you have a shield to prevent your knee from turning the ignition off, your mod or ???
    Love the Red interior
    Thanks again for pictures and PDFs

14. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    You're welcome. The EQ was never an option on the Mondial as far as I know, but was delivered with the BB.
    The Mondial however had rear speaker cables and locations so I got the NOS Pioneer rear speakers and EQ for traffic jam entertainment.
    My car came with the knee protection; it's an '83 RHD delivered to the UK originally. The red interior is actually the delivery color. Sometime someone died everything black along its life... I died it back to original!

15. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Sorry Josh for high-jacking your thread.

16. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    One remark Josh re any a/c compressor that is not the original Sankyo/Sanden: Due to its reversed mounting position relative to "normal" applications, it is turning the opposite way on our Ferraris. The original Sanden SD-507 and 508 compressors had straight cut internal bevel gears which are insensitive to their rotational direction. Newer Sanden compressors designated SD5H / SD7H with the same form factor that were introduced with the R-134a change have helical cut gears that can only turn one direction because they create a sideways force that in the case of the Ferrari application will lead to internal destruction of the the compressor. I don't know what the Chinese variety of the similar looking compressors have copied for their internals.

17. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Instrument Pod: I have later modified the 3 studs with plates to stop them from potentially spinning during a future removal:

I would suggest to do that to anyone considering the modification.

18. Mechanical Dad

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    #47 Mechanical Dad, Apr 30, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    It's all good. It goes along with what I've been doing so I welcome the ideas. I started this to give a little insight on some common repairs, ideas to make the car a little better, and the dash and its secrets. I love the spacer idea, which I did try, but I couldn't get my side plates to a point where I was happy with them. As far as the AC goes, I did read your past posts (and your thread) about it, and many others as well. The new Sanden that I'm buying is reverse rotation. I made sure to check when I spoke to the company weeks ago, however I'm going to hold off to do the AC till after the trip so I can finish the car up. The parts came back from Flowtech yesterday and wow! Amazing work. Can't wait to install this stuff and finally start it after 5 months. Let the updates continue!

ronfrohock likes this.
  19. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    You drive a European car ;)

Nice work! :cool: just bought a new Sanden A/C pump myself. Not sure if you know, but R437A would be the best choice for refrigerant nitrogen (Only if you were on R12 still). Anything else requires to replace the dryer and clean the system with nitrogen.

20. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    looking really good, and nothing like the personal satisfaction of working on these yourself. Keep up the great work and drive in good health.

21. Mechanical Dad

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Well the fun continues! The headlight wiring is back in order. However the front signals are so deteriorated that I'm going to replace them. Very brittle plastic and the sockets are very corroded. I will probably go with the reproductions on Ebay. I am also shopping for some LED bulbs for the signals and brake lights as well. Got some new goodies as well: Iridium plugs, some new filters, caliper paint, etc. Have to flush the fuel system as recommended by Daryl at Flowtech. Anniversary weekend is coming closer so hopefully I can get some time this week to get it started! Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login