McLaren 650S Le Mans signed by Ron Dennis | FerrariChat

McLaren 650S Le Mans signed by Ron Dennis

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Sterling Sackey, Mar 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sterling Sackey

Sterling Sackey Formula 3
    Sponsor

I wanted to share this car here as I think it's pretty special and I love ultra-rare cars - a client of ours' 2015 McLaren 650S Le Mans Edition. 1 of 50 produced, and 1 of ~2 in the iconic McLaren "Tarocco Orange" (almost all other examples were the standard Sarthe Grey).

I feel that this one in particular is even more special as it's signed not only by the McLaren team, but also Ron Dennis, who some may know was the most successful team chief in the history of Formula One racing, leading the McLaren Racing team to victory in 17 world championships and 158 Grand Prix competitions, from the time he first assumed leadership of McLaren in 1980 until his retirement in 2017. As he retired in 2017, I think it's safe to say no cars to come out of the McLaren factory since then bear his signature.

I will leave further explanation on the "Le Mans" variant itself to McLaren:

2015 marks the 20th anniversary of this historic victory, and to celebrate the win McLaren Special Operations (MSO) has announced a new, limited edition model, the McLaren 650S Le Mans. Only 50 examples of this special car will be built, and all will be coupés.

The new car is unmistakably inspired by the famous No.59 F1 GTR that won in 1995 – one of the ‘crown jewels’ in our heritage collection, and on permanent display at the McLaren Technology Centre. Hence the new 650S will be finished in a metallic Sarthe Grey exterior paint colour, and will feature unique ‘Le Mans Edition’ lightweight wheels. Functional enhancements include a roof-mounted engine induction ‘snorkel’ and subtle louvres on the front wings, both iconic details found on the original F1 GTR. The new car also features a carbon fibre front splitter, rear bumper and Airbrake, plus MSO-developed extended side blades and rear diffuser. Inside, the 650S Le Mans is finished in leather and Alcantara, and features race inspired seats with Le Mans logos stitched into the headrests.

The new car has been developed by MSO in consultation with none other than Peter Stevens, the celebrated British designer who styled the original McLaren F1. Stevens describes the result as ‘a fantastic homage’ to the 1995 Le Mans winning car.

As the modern McLarens get older, I think one like this will become properly collectible. Anyway, enjoy!

Shown when new at the McLaren factory, you may spot some P1 hypercars in the background as well:

[​IMG]

Image Unavailable, Please Login

NürScud, Boomhauer and GuyIncognito like this.
  2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    agree those will be super collectible. when they came out they got overshadowed a bit by the launch of the 675 LT, but history will be kind to these.

3. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Totally, I think at 50 cars produced vs. 500 cars for the 675LT, history will be very kind. Over time, performance matters less, and rarity is valued more, in many cases.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  4. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Is there enough difference to make it collectible vs a 675 ?
    Reminds me of the Ferrari 348ts Serie Speciale edition.
    Are those cars worth lots more than a normal 348 ?
    I dont know.

5. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Well, I think both this and the 675LT will be collectible since they are both limited, but the F1-inspired design on this car is definitely special.

Based on some quick research, it looks like an equivalent Serie Speciale will sell for maybe 33% more than a standard 348.

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I think the wheels are great. Would look fantastic on P1 and 675 LT.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  7. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David

For sure the 675LT which was a very different design.

But if I were shopping for a Mclaren the 650S is the best bang for the buck.

8. FLGT

FLGT Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 16, 2008
    Is it for sale or in someone’s collection?
    Lovely car!!

9. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Owner is willing to part with the car. [email protected] if interested.