360 vs F355 future appreciation | Page 4 | FerrariChat

360 vs F355 future appreciation

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Charlie Hawkins, Apr 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Personally I would take a road legal 355 Challenge........but I'm biased. ;) Now if I could get a road legal 360 Challenge (non stradale) I would take that too. As for sound, this is a good comparison:

2. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Up to this point (in the last 30 years) I have only bought sportscars because they satisfied both my needs of fun AND investment returns.
    So far I'm batting a very good percentage. Very good.

IMO get as close as you can to the end of manual shift production. IE the 430.
    But if thats out of the budget the 360 is the slam dunk choice.
    Trust me on this.

3. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Someone who is better with data than me should make a chart of the value of all of these cars as a percent of the S&P 500. Then you will see what has really gone up relative to other assets and what has remained flat, or gotten cheaper. I suspect there is a very high correlation between most of these cars and other risk assets.

(Car market value)/(S&P 500), there is your car index.

Because if the market ever really pulls back you may see values on these mass produced V-8's drop as much as 50%, and they may never come back.

4. leopard881

leopard881 Karting

May 11, 2014
    Full Name:
    David
    +1 ... indeed, a road legal 360 Challenge is an breathtaking experience... (of course, I'm biased, too...)
    cheers
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. vetteldude

vetteldude Rookie

Apr 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    John Schwyn
    I think you should get the 360 because it will go up in value , it is a fast and fun car , and it sounds great.

Texas Forever likes this.
  6. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Two scores for me, a life time collector were my 246GT Dino, & my 84 BBi Boxer out of 6 owned F Cars. Neither car was exceptional at the time of having potential collector value. The Dino numbers at the time were not exceptionally low as the total worldwide purchase of Ferrari Cars was low, service was a hit or miss, parts availability difficult. Ferrari had difficulty ridding their inventory of them in their last 2 yrs of production.The so called Fiat/Ferrari was shunned at events, slower than 911 S, but to me Oh the beauty of those lines, the sounds of those chains, the handling,their value now. We drove our cars then, no badges, & if you wanted to change the color you did.
    The Boxer was a grey market beauty, not legal in the US until extension modifications for EPA & DOT. I was the importer of that car & will tell you I paid as much for the DOT & EPA as I did for the New Car & and the Import. Approx. 2 yrs after the event the Japanese Stock Market had 6 more month's at it's height & influenced market conditions to sale.
    Neither car was purchased for the potential gains, but purchased for my personal love of the attributes ea. car possessed. Much can be said of the next generations influence on the valuations of assets.. Both the 355 & the 360 are beautiful, functional Ferrari landmarks & if production #'s are your main criteria for appreciation, guess what both are decreasing now in numbers. Buy the one that excites your passion in ownership, drive it so others can appreciate those attributes. The 355 older than the 360 is beginning the appreciation phase, the 360 is approaching the finality of it's depreciation most likely. The 360 has many attributes unique to Ferrari production- All Aluminiun monocoupe design, 400hp 3.6 liter, improved serviceability,comfort. Pininfarina design vs355 use of steel frame, great sounding engine, a bit more service expenses. I owned my 2003 360 F1 till last yr. & found it a beautiful, usable car that made the right sounds with a Tubi exhaust. Never left me stranded, always a crowd pleaser, maintainence not bad.

7. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    Don't buy these cars by value going up or down, buy them if you are going to drive them. I loved my first Ferrari, I can't change my screen name, it was Silver/Red Testarossa. I drove 35,000 miles in 7 years of ownership, I didn't care much of the value and one day on April 1st, 2013 an 18 wheeler took me off the road, I didn't think that I would walk again so after restoring her, I sold it.

I am regretful that my health improved and I was able to get back behind the wheel of a Ferrari but unable to shift for a long time or ride tough, I ended up with my F430.

She came to me with 11,000 miles three years ago and she has 21,500. So if there was a 430 & a Testarossa side by side and I was to pick one, it will be the Testarossa.

At the end, it comes down to your personal enjoyment. 355 has great sound but dated, 360 has modern feel but too slow when you are next to other modern F cars and who cares.

Drive them until the wheels fall off, money comes and goes. Buy it right and enjoy it my friend.

8. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    Sixcarbs suggests an interesting idea: "make a chart of the value of all of these cars as a percent of the S&P 500."

I don't know about the 355, but I have been watching the 360 closely, on a number of different indexes. In recent years it has been as flat as I can imagine it could be. (Ferrari Market Letter a year or so ago commented on this.) That sounds great, right?! Most cars depreciate, the 360 holds its value well. I would guess that is true for the 355, too. Yep, no depreciation sounds great until you chart it against the rise of the S&P 500 over the same period!

Then you would start thinking, "If I had just left the money in SPY I could buy a 458 now." Of course, you then would have had a number of years where for fun you would check your brokerage account balance rather than drive your 360!

There may be Ferraris that are good investments -- look at the cars that make up Hagerty's Ferrari Index, for example. But it seems to me that the 355 and 360 are great cars to just enjoy. The general advice above seems spot on to me: Buy the one you love and have fun!

Graz and anunakki like this.
  9. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    I'd never give up my gated 360 for a 458! Or a F430 or F355! The 360 in manual and blue/tan just does it for me in a way that no other car does.

10. BrianNYC14

BrianNYC14 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2014
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Brian E
    Both are great cars. If you're in the NY area and want to drive both back to back just let me know. Have gated '95 and '97 F355 Berlinetta's and a gated 360 Modena.

11. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I like the 355 size and real sports car feel. The 360 is more of a modern car. I don't believe either is going up much but could hold their value. Just too many and not a real collector car. That is not to say not to collect them.

12. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

I tend to agree. I think a good example is the 328. They have appreciated for certain, but, aside for a brief time with early speculators, they have really just inched up slowly over time. And, consider the fact that far fewer 328’s were made compared to 355’s and 360’s.

Now, having said this, there is one caveat - extremely exceptional examples. If one has a spectacular, unmolested example in perfect original condition with very low miles, it will always be prized and will command a price tag much higher than the norm.

13. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Sorry a 328 is not in the same ballpark as even a F355, certainly not a F360. I'm talking about driving, not looking.

14. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Doubt you will get any worthwhile appreciation on either in 5/10 years .

Save up more money and wait for the next 'crash', then buy a CS/Scud.

15. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

I’m not referring to either in particular (driving or design). Rather, it’s about the whole parts of the car. I’m referring to the topic of this thread, which is value appreciation. Virtually every model takes strides ahead of their predecessors. For that matter, the 458 is a much better driving car than the 360 and 430, and so on. That isn’t the point of this thread.

16. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Great comparison....Just listen to the F1 sound of the 355....incredible. No car before or after the 355 has or will ever achieve this sound.

technom3 likes this.
  17. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    A fully depreciated Ferrari that drives better than another fully depreciated Ferrari will appreciate more. Most people drive em. The don't just look at them.

18. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Okay. Whatever you say.

19. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Ask G Pepper which car he is going to keep. He has a gated F360 and a 308.

I went through this with motorcycles. Without a doubt, one of the best looking motorcycles of all time is a 1970 Triumph Bonneville. I sold mine because riding it was similar to a proctology exam. The bits never learned how to split a crankshaft. The damn bikes vibrated like a paint mixer. At 70 mph, your eyeballs would lose focus. At 80, they regained focus. Beautiful to look at, but impossible to ride compared to newer bikes.

20. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    #95 Rossocorsa1, Apr 28, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    I was being facetious. People should enjoy their cars however they choose to.

21. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    Both are beautiful cars. I can say I did not enjoy driving my F355 GTB at night on dark twisty roads. The regular bulbs just didn’t put out enough light once you got use to HID and the whole rotation mechanism definitely dates the 355.

22. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    The question wasnt which is the better car but rather which one will appreciate more in the next 5-10 years. 10 years may be too far out but over the next 5 years i believe the 355 will see more appreciation. Its hit the bottom of the curve and has been starting to show signs of increasing while 360 prices are still on the decline and most likely will for the next 3 -5+ years. Looks to be about a 25 year cycle from introduction to bottom of the cycle. Numbers built will skew that timeline some, but that looks to be the rough cycle.

23. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    The question wasnt which is the better car but rather which one will appreciate more in the next 5-10 years. 10 years may be too far out but over the next 5 years i believe the 355 will see more appreciation. Its hit the bottom of the curve and has been starting to show signs of increasing while 360 prices are still on the decline and most likely will for the next 3 -5+ years. Looks to be about a 25 year cycle from introduction to bottom of the cycle. Numbers built will skew that timeline some, but that looks to be the rough cycle.

24. BrianNYC14

BrianNYC14 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2014
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Brian E
    Certain spec F355's and 360's have the potential to maintain their value, as for a financial investment, more an investment in fun times. If you invest in the car, maintain it well, and own it long enough, it may work out financially, and at least you will love driving it. AMZN stock we can't drive but that will grow money.

360 Challenge Stradale's and F355 Fiorono's have the most potential.

As for spec, Gated 360 Modena, red/tan, sunroof, is my bet. The others; gated F355 Berlinetta's, red/tan and black/tan, model year '95 is good as well. Having the cars slightly modified and maintained properly can be a plus too, and it's better to have a car that's driven with regularity.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

phrogs likes this.
  25. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    They built far more 360s than 355s. scarcity alone will prove this one

Rossocorsa1 likes this.