1/18 news | Page 46 | FerrariChat

1/18 news

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by furoni, Jan 14, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    IT'S ONLY a model car, enjoy it for what it is. :) I like it, "imperfections" and all...… ;)

rysc97 and gt4me like this.
  2. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    It looks pretty good to me. Especially when you bear in mind how Ferrari slung the real things together. Sometimes models just look too perfect when the real car was a racing car, usually dirty, taped together or whatever because the only objective was the race result. The screws on the suspension stick out a bit but only because the wheels are off when they would normally be hidden, so no problem with them for me.

Sometimes I think there are people here who expect the unattainable from their models. I want a car that is recognisably the right shape. That is the most important thing and nothing else matters if it doesn't look right. Then I want good detail and a good colour (obviously if it is representing one specific car - like this 512M - rather than one of many cars then it needs to be close to the colour of the real car). If the odd sticker isn't quite the right size or quite in the right place then I can accept that because I don't spend my entire life sitting there comparing a model with photographs of the real thing - especially bearing in mind that the real car may have been different at different races or even on different days of the same race meeting, if it is a racing car. But important too is a sensible price. And that's important for the model maker as well as for the purchaser because they need to sell enough to make money so they can make the next one. Let's also not forget Ferrari's licensing taking a cut out of the profits of Ferrari modelmakers.

I do echo what you say about Exoto. I have a few Exotos (purchased a few years ago when the prices weren't so silly) and they are amongst my favourites. I particularly like those where they've made a little more effort to make the model stand out - like the Villeneuve T4 with the umbrella or the Mansell 642 tearing off a visor. A little while ago I spent some time with a vendor who had an Exoto 500 F2 and a CMC and I had a good long look at the two together. It was most interesting to see the different level of detail of different parts of each model. In the end I liked the Exoto better. Not particularly because it was a better model but because there were just some of aspects of it, some little quirks, that I liked better. However, I must confess that in the end I bought the CMC because the vendor could give me a much better price. But I digress...

Yes exactly. It is all very well saying these models aren't up to scratch but they are trying to run a business and have to do what they can at a price that will keep them in business. In my book there is absolutely no excuse for a model where the shape is all wrong but that 's a long way from screws that you can't see unless you take it all apart.

By the way, thanks to Alejandro for the detail photos.

piloti, Jakuzzi and gt4me like this.
  3. ursoenzo

ursoenzo Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2006
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Christian Rauch
    rysc97, Jakuzzi and gt4me like this.
  4. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Well at least the close ups will save you tons of money based on picky expectations for detail... :)

Jakuzzi likes this.
  5. a.v.d.winkel

a.v.d.winkel Karting

Jun 22, 2004
    Best
    Full Name:
    Arjan van der Winkel
    The original car was in this colour, believe it or not . So it isn't wrong

Jakuzzi likes this.
  6. rysc97

rysc97 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2011
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    John
    gt4me likes this.
  7. ursoenzo

ursoenzo Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2006
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Christian Rauch
    Jakuzzi and rysc97 like this.
  8. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Both gorgeous....the looksmart versipn looked good to me to

9. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    I know BBR isn't to the level of the old hand built masters but I've been really happy with their versions of the modern cars (LaFerrari Aperta, Modulo, J50, ect.). Maybe their versions of the vintage cars falls a little short.

But compared to every other 1/18 model I've seen, BBR is good, maybe even great.

-F

10. George H.

George H. Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    George Hoover
  11. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Those look pretty good actually.

12. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Nice... another Ferrari model with 4X4 tires :( TOO BIG!

13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I'm not so sure. I've seen real GTCs in the flesh and their tires in 1/1 scale looked too big to me!

gt4me likes this.
  14. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    That GTC looks nice. Top Marques is doing this T33 Carabo in 1/18th and it also looks great. Not sure how they did such a poor job on that Maserati and than turn around and do this??
    I really hope they do the same car in 1/12th as I don't collect 1/18th, the mainly toy diecast scale with very few good kits. The nose might be slightly off but I have seen high end builds that were farther off on other cars. Please 1/12th.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

ursoenzo likes this.
  15. ursoenzo

ursoenzo Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2006
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Christian Rauch
  16. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Gorgeous..i promissed myself i wouldn't buy this one..hope i can resist!!!

17. David C

David C Karting

Jul 29, 2014
    gt4me likes this.
  18. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    That is lovely, got the email this morning. If I hadn't spent so much over the last month or so I'd of put my name down for one.

19. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Tecnomodel strikes again.….. the model manufacturer wars continue. They have just announced and shown 4 color versions of the Ferrari 250 Bertone. Interesting or infuriating that Tecnomodel would make this model when Matrix had announced their models of the same car quite awhile ago, and have shown photos of prototypes. I know the Matrix piece will be a better, more accurate, and will have more fine detail, but this Tecno piece might have an advantage with being a little less expensive, and widely available, and maybe available before Matrix. It certainly will take a bite out of sales of the Matrix versions.

As most everyone here knows, the real 1:1 car has been shown/painted in a few colors over its life, and the only color/shade Tecnomodel has right or close to right is Silver. Colors they will be making are: Metallic Blue, Red, Silver, and Metallic Green. Interior shades and colors are also wrong, and I can see other mistakes too, but not going to bother listing them. It will be another typical cranked out model rife with flaws.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

gt4me likes this.
  20. a.v.d.winkel

a.v.d.winkel Karting

Jun 22, 2004
    Best
    Full Name:
    Arjan van der Winkel
    It (the 330 GTC of CMR models) is pretty good, and the silver one doesn't get the looks on the photograph it deserves. Its a BEAUTIFUL smoke-gray metallic color with a partly deep red interior . It's a STUNNING model in this colour , the red one looks 'çheap' in some kind of way (and a have seen both of them in real).. No question which one is enclosed
    in my collection

gt4me likes this.
  21. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    The Matrix model looks very nice indeed, and if i bought it i would prefer it in dark blue....must see better pics of the tecno

22. ursoenzo

ursoenzo Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2006
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Christian Rauch
    NürScud likes this.
  23. David C

David C Karting

Jul 29, 2014
    Thank you Lusso 123 for your unbiased comments; I will choose neither Matrix or Technomodel-both have photetched side window trims and oath that feature, such a shame that is used as a 'standard' in the industry now................

24. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    The reason they do that is to make super clear windows, not windows with frames molded in wich will have distortion and look toy like. The window frames on the real car are also rather thin by the way. The Matrix looks the best by far I think, but of course the best body I have seen is from FPPM in 1/24th scale. All the high end companies do photoetch as it looks better. As usual Tecnomodel puts out inaccurate garbage. What happened to this once great company??

By the way that v12sportsmodel 375 is terrible. I see the real car almost every week and it does not look like that. The whole shape is off.

25. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    You're welcome David. At least the separate photo etch window trim is a lot better than printed/painted flat silver trim on the windows that GT Spirit and some other brands do. For the price of the Matrix model I can't complain. And as always, most collectors are not willing to pay what it would cost to make separate 3D chrome plated frames, so the P-etch is the compromise.

And I agree with Tom, the FPPM 1:24 kit has the best body..... I sent Fernando copies of my photos of the real car we had taken when my company was going to produce the same model in 1:24 scale over 25 years ago, back in the early 1990s. Time flies!