458 - New Power Warranty Extension (1yr) - worthwhile? | FerrariChat

458 New Power Warranty Extension (1yr) - worthwhile?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Sav35, Apr 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sav35

Sav35 Rookie

Dec 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    Marcos
    Hi everyone - I have a 2013 458 Spider w/ ~5k miles on it. The car is in terrific condition. I'm having a tough time deciding whether/not it makes sense to purchase the New Power Warranty Extension when mine expires in a week or two. I understand the 458 and later models are much more reliable than those which preceded it and given how low miles my car has, I'm not convinced it's worthwhile to pay for a 12mo warranty extension. The car has had full annual maintenance (6yrs thus far). That said, I'm a first-time Ferrari owner and still a little green.

I'd love any thoughts/comments/recommendations you guys have on this and perhaps any first-hand experience w/ the reliability of 458's (I'm planning to actually drive this car and put on 2+k miles this year alone). ....and please refrain from the "if you're worried about spending the $6k to extend your warranty, you shouldn't have bought a Ferrari in the first place" - I'm curious about people's recommendations/experiences here.

Thanks!

2. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    I bought a 2012 458 with 5500 miles on it last October. The car was certified and I bought a one year extended warranty. I paid closer to $3k though and not $6k. So far the car has been perfect. I have put not quite 1500 miles on it. I had the annual done. The reason I bought mine was the low mileage and the fact that for the last two years it basically sat. So my plan was to get the warranty and try to rack up the miles to see if any gremlins come out. These cars are well built so I think you would likely be fine without the warranty, especially if they are charging you $6k. I know I probably won't extend the warranty.

Sav35 likes this.
  3. Sav35

Sav35 Rookie

Dec 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    Marcos
    Agreed and makes perfect sense. Out of principle, I wonder why yours was $3k and mine is $6k... hmmmm...

4. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    oh, i remember. i got a bit of a discount. the salesman sent me an email that i understood to mean that the warranty was included in the sales price. i flew all the way to Florida to look at the car and at closing noticed that it was not included. i showed the manager the email and they agree it was confusing so we negotiated out a reduced cost.

Sav35 likes this.
  5. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    First year I paid $4500 this year $4200 your dealer is screwing you. I buy it because I like the piece of mind, probably not necessary but helps me sleep at night.

Roland1688, Suborbital and Sav35 like this.
  6. Sav35

Sav35 Rookie

Dec 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    Marcos
    Good for you - I’m glad they honored that, especially since you traveled so far. Thanks again for the reply and explanation.

7. Sav35

Sav35 Rookie

Dec 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    Marcos

Yeah, that’s kind of where I’m leaning too. Thanks v much for the feedback.

8. Sav35

Sav35 Rookie

Dec 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    Marcos
  9. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  10. Sav35

Sav35 Rookie

Dec 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    Marcos
    Yeah, we’re on the exact same page. Just want to make sure I wasn’t missing anything since I’m still a relatively new Ferrari owner, at least compared to many on these chats.

As an aside, you’ve posted some really impressive stuff, can’t wait to read a bunch of it over the next day or so.

11. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    have fun and dont take me too seriously. i simply do the opposite of what the crowd/general consensus thinks and it works.

Melvok likes this.
  12. m3the01

m3the01 Rookie

Aug 5, 2009
    Hampton, NH
    Totally agree, I worry about stuff... I would sooner pay $20k over 5 yrs than drop $30k on a new tranny, etc. I'm terrible though, I worry about stupid stuff.

Shahaf and Suborbital like this.
  13. Transman

Transman Karting

Nov 20, 2016
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen Ferraro
    How is it that you have a power train warranty at all? Unless you have been buying them.
    The power train warranty is only good for 3 years when the car is new?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Ado4wd

Ado4wd Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2005
    Germantown, TN
    Full Name:
    Andrew O
    It makes a difference where you live as the warranty covers transport to the nearest dealer. For me that’s six hours away and worth about $2,000 per round trip.

I recently bought a 2010 458 with about 6 months of warranty remaining. After a few e-diff recovery lights I sent the car to dealer for repair. Long story short the dealer sent a $42k bill to Ferrari and I paid nothing (except the cost to re-up the warranty).

It’s nice to have the peace of mind.

Sav35 likes this.
  15. Sav35

Sav35 Rookie

Dec 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    Marcos
    Wow - that’s no joke. Can I ask what ended up going wrong that required such a massive repair?

16. Ado4wd

Ado4wd Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2005
    Germantown, TN
    Full Name:
    Andrew O
    They replaced the transmission and intake solenoids.

17. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    K$42 ? Never ever heared about such idiot figures :eek: