Fire Extinguisher | FerrariChat

Fire Extinguisher

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by johnr265, Apr 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    OK, given that it's probably not halon and the therefore the last thing you actually want to spray on your car if it's on fire, the fire extinguisher is largely a cosmetic item (and I'll admit, still a cool one at that). For those that spec'd it, is it a nuisance for passengers and do they constantly keep kicking it? I like the look but not sure it won't be more annoyance than it's worth. Thx.

2. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I had one in my 458 and it was a nightmare for the passenger. I got it removed by my dealer...
    I did not go for it for my 458SA nor will I for my upcoming pista spider
    Also it is regular powder and definitely not halon so you are right : you don’t want to spray that anywhere in your car....

3. Rbwiii

Rbwiii Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2014
    Cali
    Full Name:
    BW
    I Had one in my 458 and specified one on my 488. The look is cool, but my wife has mentioned it kinda in the way...if I ordered another Ferrari I'd get it again...

4. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I installed one (fia approved) myself for a quarter of the ferrari asked price; i put it on the side of the central tunnel on the passenger side so it's less disturbing than along the door as Ferrari does. The installation uses existing lugs so it can be reverted . Fire extinguishers are now required on some track days.
    I expect to do the same on the F8.

5. DefunctNeurons

DefunctNeurons Formula Junior

May 15, 2018
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    For those unfamiliar with a new type of extinguisher, check out the Element. Looks like a road flare, smothers with a gas and no residue left behind. They fit perfectly in my door cubbies in my F430; can also be mounted. Brilliant! Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. DefunctNeurons

DefunctNeurons Formula Junior

May 15, 2018
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    johnr265 likes this.
  7. Linton13

Linton13 Rookie

Aug 10, 2013
    Basking Ridge, NJ
    Full Name:
    P. Linton
  8. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    This is what I have in all my cars. I never had to use them (fortunately !) so I can’t say how efficient they are !

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  9. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
  10. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Nice to read …. have you ever tried to make out a car which is on fire ?

99% of the time you will not succeed to stop a petrol fire … and what is left has to go to a scrapyard imo …

I have no fire extinguisher as you understand …. and I also no think a extinguisher NOT a cosmetic item … :eek:

11. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I have put out an engine fire with a portable fire extinguisher. Fortunately not my car and not a sportscar either. You have to catch it in the beginning though. An extinguisher is vital and far from a cosmetic item!!!

JackCongo and DefunctNeurons like this.
  12. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    I had it on mine.
    My wife asked me to remove it cause it makes her space too tight and could scratch her shoes (that would be really exensive :D ).
    So i ask the dealer to remove it, changed carpets and bought a Element ;)

JackCongo likes this.
  13. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I had two similar experiences and in both occasions, without a fire extinguisher available I guess the cars would have been totally destroyed by fire. Definitely far from cosmetic items but the one using powder should be banned and replaced by element units or FIA approved foam/gaz units.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

14. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    Can anyone with the Ferrari unit confirm that it is powder based?

15. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    It 's not that simple. Every extinguisher has its use, depending on the fire type. Dry powder extinguishers are suitable for most types of fire.

16. Baitschev

Baitschev Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2017
    Vienna
    Pls take only halon If you can get one .
    You destroy your car with powder and you cant clean it .

17. Hocakes

Hocakes Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2010
    FL
    Halotron
    http://halotron.com/halotron1.php

Baitschev and johnr265 like this.
  18. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Many years ago, I purchased a Halon fire extinguisher from a traveling salesman that used to sell them via the local machine shop. I kept it in my Datsun, but never needed it.

Some years later, I was in a very bad head-on collision, where I hit a truck which turned into my lane; I hit it going about 75 MPH and was nearly killed. My passenger went through the windshield and required reconstructive surgery (due to not wearing their seat belt). I only had a lap belt on and was knocked unconscious when my head hit the steering wheel. I'm surprised I lived frankly. No air bags, nothing. The only thing that helped save me was the car absorbed some of the impact; I measured it after the crash and it was 18 inches shorter. I also went back and could see where the impact moved the vehicle I hit - a full size Ford Bronco, loaded with 6 GI's - over a foot laterally (based on the tire tread marks left on the road).

So, anyway, there wasn't much left of my car. I was just happy to still be alive and above ground frankly. After I got out of the hospital, I had the car towed to the house I was renting. Since I didn't have insurance on the car, I decided to part it out. I sold the motor, transmission, wheels, hood, doors, everything. It had a nice race motor, which I had built, so that helped.

After parting it out, I asked my sister's boyfriend if he could haul it away for me. He ran a small hauling company, but he said a car was too big for him to handle. He jokingly said I'd need to cut it up... to which I said, "I could cut it up with my welder". So he told me if I cut it up small enough, he'd toss the pieces into his truck and haul it away. So that's what I decided to do.

I got my welder out (a gas torch) and got ready to start cutting. Even though I figured I wouldn't need it, I put the Halon extinguisher down on the ground, over near where I was getting ready to work. I was, after all, renting the house and wanted to be safe. So the car had no wheels and was sitting up on egg crates. I put on all my welding gear and started cutting. The first cut I made was down the roof. The doors had been sold, so the next cut was along the floor boards from the driver's side to the shift lever hole. Then I moved over and started to cut from the passenger side to the center of the car. As I cut, the loss of structural integrity let the car break in half. The front half tipped backwards and the rear half tipped forwards, leaving the car in sort of a V shape.

So I kept working away making cuts with the torch and suddenly I heard an odd "whoosh" noise... at first I thought one of the lines to my torch let go, but when I stopped to look at them, they looked okay. I had on my green lens gas welding goggles, so I couldn't really see much, but my torch was operating fine, so I went back to cutting. A few seconds later, I felt a tremendous heat on my shins. Naturally, when welding, things get hot, but this seemed a little off base. I stepped back a bit and removed my goggles and that's when I realized I was standing in a pool of gasoline that was about 6 feet in diameter under the car - and growing - and completely engulfed in flames.

What had happened was I had accidentally cut through the fuel supply line in the middle of the car with my torch. That wasn't good, but what made things really serious, really fast, was that when the car broke and tipped forward, all the gas in the fuel tank suddenly started pouring out of the cut line onto the ground below the car - and there was no way to stop it. The "whoosh" I heard was the fuel igniting and once the pool of gas expanded towards my feet, then I felt the heat.

When I stepped backwards and away from the car - and removed my welding glasses - that's when the magnitude of everything hit - the flaming pool of fuel was quickly expanding towards the wooden structure of the rental house and there was no way to shut down the flow of gas pouring out of the cut line. The car had no wheels and could not be moved out of the fames and it had a gas tank that was 3/4 full of fuel and there was a fire brewing directly under it. From A-Z, it was just all bad.

I grabbed the little Halon extinguisher, which I had set near the car; pointed it under the car, pulled the trigger and swept from right to left... I have never seen a gas fire go out more quickly in my entire life. It was absolutely shocking how quickly it went out. It was like someone snapped their fingers and the flames vanished. This was a pool of fire the size of my living room rug - poof, out.

Once the flames were out, I bent the fuel line back on itself and used a garden hose to wash the gas off the driveway.

If not for that little Halon extinguisher, this story would have probably had a much different outcome - and I think our landlord would have been minus a rental property.

I'm not sure if you can still buy or re-fill the older Halon fire extinguishers, but they are absolutely worth their weight in gold when it comes to automotive or electrical fires.

Ray

Baitschev likes this.
  19. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    What a story... scary and good that you ended up safely... I only experienced fire with motor vehicle twice and it was not that bad. However I am very cautious about fire and have elements units in all my cars plus FIA approved fire extinguishers in my sports cars (including an automatic one in my F40)
    Fire is a very special hasard...

RayJohns likes this.
  20. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK

Dear Ray,

Consider yourself very lucky and unlucky at the same time. Firstly you were nearly killed in the crash and then you almost got burnt alive. Ouch!!!
    The torch thing on a fueled car was less than ingenious though... Youthful silliness I reckon. Sometimes I think of all the silly things I had done in my youth and I am astonished that I am still around!!!

Regards,
    Alex

RayJohns likes this.
  21. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    Wow, at first I skipped this link but it is really super important, not just for cars but for your household and life. The element states it is effective for all major classes of fire, specifically A, B, C and K. Couldn't quite tell on the Halotron one but the element does seem pretty great. I learned a lot from this thread.

Years ago when I was in high school, my dad was melting some ice in a little motor boat in our driveway and I awoke to screams from my mom. The whole thing was on fire. I quickly grabbed an extinguisher (likely powder ABC) and put it out, stupidly forgetting about the full gas tank that was still on board. I was able to put it out before it ignited and when the fire department arrived, they said they were impressed that I had gotten it to go out. Sometimes, it is better to be lucky than smart.

REALZEUS likes this.
  22. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The automatic systems in the F40 are really nice. I looked into purchasing an LM F40 some years ago (in the UK as I remember, but it might have been some other location) and it had a super nice on board fire system.

Ray

23. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    You definitely do a lot more foolish things at 23, as opposed to 53 :)

Ray

REALZEUS likes this.