BMW guys on FerrariChat? | Page 70 | FerrariChat

BMW guys on FerrariChat?

Discussion in 'Other German' started by DriveAfterDark, May 14, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Kinda off topic, but did anyone notice a lot of E39 M5s in the movie Spider Man Into the Spider-verse? I saw three scenes with a white one and looked online and apparently missed more LOL.

There was a black one and a blue one. I think a side driving profile of a red one is near the end, but not sure.

https://www.imcdb.org/v001149018.html

2. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    The River runs through it
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    Maybe because its cheap enough to blow up already.

An e39 m5 can be bought for $7-9k with 150k miles on it, so its cheap enough to be props.

3. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    It's an animated movie and uses a combination of CGI and hand drawn cels to make the look so the cars are not real.

I'm guessing whoever was part of that design/decision also is involved with their TV show spinoffs as a more traditional cartoon show they make has a lot of M5s as well and Aunt May apparently drives an 8 series. lol!

https://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/345937-so-i-watching-ultimate-spider-man-today.html

4. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    The River runs through it
    Full Name:
    MD Leo

ok,
    it thought it is real film. Dont watch spider man really. But my thoughts on the M5 is true.
    I have my e39 and F10 m5, owned also a e60 M5 which I till miss to this day.
    Unfortunate is that e39 M5s are so cheap right now that people are trashing it. I am an BMW enthusiast before I owned my porsche then my ferrari. But the group has shifted so much, the brand has become the new honda IMO.

I told my kids, if you want me to buy you your first car, it would be a manual and a honda. You need to learn to put gas on it with your own money, buy tires and maintain it.

No BMW for your first car. You have to buy it yourself.

5. Dai Baracca

Dai Baracca Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    Certain E39 M5s hold their value very well, as with any performance car service history/mileage matter.
    those you see in the 7-9k range are probably ratted out cars with poor service history at best and maybe even an accident or bodywork
    Bring a Trailer can give you some price insight on M5s E39s/E60s..
    personally I plan on keeping my E39 right next to my E30 LOL

6. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Stock, I wanted it to be my roadtrip bruiser. Today at 100mph I could bury the pedal and that extra 100hp is noticable. I have not had any issues at 150+ for my scenarios. I mean, it is an SAV, so you can't expect astounding handling on run-flats.

7. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Every now and then You'll see a nice one with close to 200k on that actually is worth buying. Service records, good condition, and running like a top. But they are rare. They usually sell for 9-10k. But yes, 90 percent of those cars are in pretty bad shape. I'd like to buy one, drive it like I stole it for a few years, blow up the engine, pull it then rebuild it and put it in my e38, then part out or sell it for parts. Problem is the rebuild for that engine is unbelievably expensive and not worth it IMO.

8. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I was waiting for my Fiancee outside her office yesterday evening. Two you lads went past and one commented how good the car looked. It's not just expensive exotics that get admiration.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Protouring442 likes this.
  9. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    I get compliments on my E34 540i all the time. Even had a guy follow me into a parking lot to see if it was a manual car.

tantumaude, Bradwilliams and MalcQV like this.
  10. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Bimmer was on a roll back then all the way through the early 2000s. I wonder how long this new direction the company has taken toward leasing is going to last. The build quality is getting so bad now that I've talked to people that work at the dealer openly admit that the cars are done at 65-70k miles. Throw them in the trash. IT's going to be really bad for resale values in the near future. The Z3 is a wonderful and beautiful car. They knocked it out of the park with that car.

GuyIncognito and MalcQV like this.
  11. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    I have never been a follower of BMWs, I have mainly been a Porsche and Ferrari fan. My wife needed an new SUV so we went shopping last weekend. We stopped by the BMW store and she tested the new X5. It was a very impressive vehicle. While looking around, they had a used (2017) M4 and a new M850 on the floor. They both impressed me. I am looking for a car to sit along side my 488 and old Porsche as a daily exotic. I currently have an Afla 4C that I love, but there is no storage, so not so functional - can't take it for a weekend trip, etc. I was thinking of a Ferrari FF, but the M850 looks great to me and is intriguing.

Any thoughts on the M850 or M4?

TestShoot likes this.
  12. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    8 series for comfort and rarity right now. I am debating on that 4C myself as a third car. How is it to live with?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

slm likes this.
  13. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    I'm pushing 190K on the 540i, still runs like a top.

14. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    I love my 4C. It is such a fun car to drive. Great power to weight ratio. Fantastic handling. It’s just small and very little luggage space. Just depends on what you want in the car. It sits in the garage with my other cars but I wanted that slot to be filled with a daily driver sports car. The ALFA is fun as a daily, but not very practical do the limited space. There are a couple good threads in the other Italian section on the car. Don’t want to hijack this thread too much.

15. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I would recommend an M4cs over the M4, they may still be available--and if they are, you should be able to get a nice discount. The CS is a distinctly different animal than the m4 and warrants the premium in my opinion.

BMW did a terrible job explaining the CS at launch, but every subsequent reviewer seems to fall head over heals for it, just as I did... and for good reason. Lots of fine tuning created an astounding car... the steering feel, the f-ing amazing sound, the suspension set up, the increased power with a really nice top end... its an M3 competition turned up to 11. An absolute riot of a car. It actually reminds me a lot of the old CLK black series in terms of attitude. The M4CS is essentially the same car as the m3CS but in two door and with the interior panels from the M4GTS. Anyway, I would strongly recommend it.

16. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    I've heard this, but I'd love to know more. What's going wrong on these cars? Is it the advanced tech, drive train?

17. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

It's the same old crap with the cooling systems but now on an even worse scale. The cars pre bangle were already 35 percent plastic back then now its more like 75 percent plastic. Obviously the tech causes more problems than it assists. They're so focused on leasing now that making a somewhat durable car is the last thing on their minds. I don't know about transmission issues but I have hear a lot of chatter about the engines going toast firsthand.

I dated a gal a few years ago who was high up the corporate latter in media relations/promotions. She said she had been complaining to corporate constantly about all of the plastic crap they keep putting under the hood. But of course, they're not going to listen to anyone LOL.

alexion likes this.
  18. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    Wow, that's pretty wild. I have an E36 M3 so I'm welling aware of the cooling system issues and other annoying but relatively benign issues if properly maintained, though I assumed they would have learned from these mistakes. I'd have to question is these cars are now being engineered to fail or the bean counters are just looking to cost cut as much as possible, or a combo of both. Obviously their business model is to penetrate every segment with 1-8 series coupes, sedans and SUV's and I guess their hope is with leasing that the cars will break with 2nd hand owners. Pretty crazy for a premium brand that I've always loved.

I'm sure the ZF transmissions are the only robust parts of the car.

19. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

I'm at the tail end of a 3 year tsunami of nonsense with mine. First two years were golden then the rough ride continued from 200k-226k miles. It's running better than ever right now. I'm hoping for another two year easy streak, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

alexion likes this.
  20. thehick

thehick Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    VA
    I've had many over the years. I owned one continuously since 1997. Up throough the e46, they were pretty solid (minus the cheap cooling parts), but since I just replaced the expansion tank and pump every 60,000 mi, I never had any problems. Since the e90 however, they have been a bag of **** once they hit 75-80k mi. Very expensive repairs for pretty stupid crap. Turbos, plastic valve cover cracks, leaks, etc. I recently had a 640 gran coupe that had 4 major engine problems in the first 7 mos, and BMW bought it back and gave me 18k off of my X6m. I figure that I had gotten a lemon, but we'll see. If this one turns out to be bad, it will be the last one I buy. I've heard that the M cars are still pretty solid, but we shall see. I may just make a porsche my next ride.

alexion likes this.
  21. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

I hear ya. The day I bought the e38 I vowed it would be my first and last bmw. The only other one i would ever consider would be an m roadster. But that would be a toy and not a daily driver

22. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    The reason for the plastic is weight. Between the massive amount of electronics the consumer demands, and the crash standards the government demands, the weight of a car has gone up dramatically. The trouble is, the government has also pushed fuel economy standards, and weight is the enemy of economy. Thus, all manufacturers are trying to cut every last ounce of weight out of every last part of the car. The manufacturer will demand that every vendor and every engineer find a way to cut 20% of the weight of every part. A 20% lighter valve cover (or light bulb!) might not seem like a big deal, but when the weight of every part on the car is cut by 20%, the whole car weighs 20% less than it would have.

23. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

I hear ya. However, there is no excuse for putting plastic radiators in those cars. None.

24. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    Sounds like something BMW would say to defend their position. I believe that with the level of engineering in these cars, they could have come up with a better and more robust solution. Does an aluminum radiator much more than plastic, for example.

The style 135's on my former e46 with the ZHP package were boat anchors. I'd rather those be lighter and have a cooling system that's not biodegradable.

25. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    All manufacturers do it. As I said, a lightbulb that weighs 20% less doesn't seem worthwhile until you realize that by making everything weigh 20% less, the whole car does. Wheels present a different problem to the manufacturer. They have to be durable, and lightweight, and reasonably inexpensive to manufacture.

And yes, an aluminum radiator weighs enough more that it's worth it to the manufacturer to build them. Plastic tanks on radiators are pretty much universal at this point. In fact, I don't know a manufacturer which doesn't use them.

And while plastic isn't biodegradable (well, some plastics are, but that's a different issue), it is recyclable. While bauxite mines are huge, open pit eyesores and habitat destroyers. Believe me, there's no free lunch with any material.

MalcQV and alexion like this.