F8 - Engine vs Pista Engine | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F8 Engine vs Pista Engine

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 458-Italia, Apr 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark

If there isn't a better case of apples to oranges I have never seen one....

2. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark

What I see is an idiot doing donuts in a car like he is in a 1978 Trans Am..... WOW MAN HOW COOL! (really , dude?) Immature morons like this guy are what ruined Cars and Coffee in Dallas.

Tell me SS, would YOU do that crap in your Ferrari? So what bearing does it have on ACTUAL sound of the car during your ACTUAL use of the car?

By the way I thought the Pista sounded really good, lower pitch than my Speciale but still fantastic.

Again if you want best sound without regard to speed, comfort factor or overall driveability go buy a CS - the best sounding Ferrari of them ALL!

Viperjoe likes this.
  3. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Apples to apples...

Tifosi Dude likes this.
  4. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Not this one though.

cridom60 likes this.
  5. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I understand that this is subjective but nothing shrieks like a LaFerrari (or tdf).

stavura likes this.
  6. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    V8s are hopelessly screaming to get attention, while V12s really sing :)
    That's why I do not care about turbo on V8.

Makuono likes this.
  7. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Electric to Combustion engine is apples to oranges.

WE are talking about turbo to non turbo.

Besides if you want a REAL exhaust note buy a jet.

8. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Where is the emoji for the guy slapping his head?
    You argue for sake of argument.
    My comment was about the “sound” of performance, in response to video about the sound of F12 by member “Solid State.” You had already compared the Speciale to the CS, both are NA engines, NOT turbos. Don’t shift arguments. So we, you and I, are not talking about turbos vs. non turbos at this point. We are talking about the sound of engines.
    One shouldn’t have to point out to you the purpose of the original comparison, but since you were never on the debate team I’ll reiterate it for you...
    Both cars are open wheeled race cars supposedly operating at the pinnacle of racing technology.
    One is electric.
    The other is NA gas engine.
    The question is sound and thrill of an “engine” while generating performance.
    The electric has NONE, sound or thrill.
    The NA...well it is obvious to all with ear drums, auditory cortex, and a love for emotive cars.
    You can argue all you want, you are wrong.
    Apples to apples.

Tifosi Dude, xfrgtr and tekaefixe like this.
  9. mikegr

mikegr Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2012
    Europe
    I thought Speciale was the best sounding 458

10. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    It is not, ask anyone here! It’s the best 458 in anything else except for sound.
    Still it doesn’t sound like a v12 Ferrari...
    If they were to make a na v12 mid engine Ferrari (800hp) people in here would murder someone to get one!!

xfrgtr, Makuono and italiafan like this.
  11. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Mark, I baby my F12 and agree the behavior of even over revving an engine with no load is bad for the motor and childish. The video I posted came up in the player when one of the turbo sound comparison videos ended that I responded to. I found it quite the coincidence that it had a glorious F12 engine scream.

The bearing to the sound discussion was the question is moot about which sounded better of the two identical engines. I posted a real Ferrari engine sound for reference as I stated when I posted it. The F140 engine whose variants are in the Laf, F12 and F12tdF is the best engine made regards to speed, comfort, performance, beauty and especially sound. My opinion of course but feel pretty safe with it!

stavura, dmark1, ewright and 3 others like this.
  12. 355TDI

355TDI Karting

Feb 1, 2019
    London
    Full Name:
    Immat Wings
    To think people actually pay to watch Formula E..... snore fest.

stavura likes this.
  13. kevin1244

kevin1244 Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    KAA
    The Pista sound is amazing. People who claim Pista sounds **** or **** (!) have not heard it or sit in the car to hear it. The owners know that the sound is awesome and this is coming from someone who has a Stradale with Capristo two stage and now picked up his beautiful Pista ;)

of2worlds, Silberpfeil and BCHOW like this.
  14. cridom60

cridom60 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2007
    France
    Full Name:
    dominique
    I am always finding such kind of discussion as very funny: just remember a little the F40, as far as I remember it's a V8 turbo engine, no? and the sound was not really bad, no? then if you put a tuby style exaust on it, it's even too loud!! (my F40 was banned by my neighbours in my leaving area few years ago, and my F40 lm was simply forbidden on some tracks!!), just my 2 cents.

of2worlds likes this.
  15. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    The 599 GTO comes pretty close to out-shrieking everything. It’s nuts.

stavura, Makuono, nads and 1 other person like this.
  16. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    ^ This. There is nothing in the modern day Ferrari line up that sound as crazy as the 599 GTO.

17. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    sorry I have a pista and the sound is not his strong point!
    I prefer the sound of my Speciale!

18. BLACK CARS

BLACK CARS Rookie

Sep 23, 2016
    Sounds like they could use some lubricant on a fan belt to stop the squealing - Formula E. Electric cars may be the future but they totally lack any soul.

19. kevin1244

kevin1244 Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    KAA
    I accept difference of opinion! To my ears, the sound is just different, as pleasant but in a different way. That's why someone said above that the whole discussion around the sound is just childish. If the sound is so awful to someone who cares so much about the exhaust note of a car that makes a decision against the car; then be it, don't buy the car! It's so subjective that trying to paint it with any objectivity is just ridiculous. Despite this, I believe most owners love the sound; the first time I started up the car, I was so impressed. Driving it, the sound inside the cabin was fantastic to me and others who were following me were as impressed. Not as loud or high pitch as my Stradale, but a nice, low pitch, deep throat sound that I actually very much like. I love the whistling of the turbos from inside the cabin too. I love the burps and what seems to be backfire action too, not a blast in the exhaust, enough to hear the inner workings of the whole engine. I absolutely love the car.

of2worlds and BCHOW like this.
  20. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Fun starts at 0:25

MalibuGuy and xfrgtr like this.
  21. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    A Ferrari should ideally make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up with a bad attack of goose pimples.

355,CS,Scud,early 458?....then we have newer turbo /hybrid /electric which seem to need varying degrees of help in this department.Although haven't heard any complaints about 288/F40.

It's all subjective of course.Interesting to see where the F8 ranks against 488/Pista,when they get the thing opened up on track.

Tifosi Dude likes this.
  22. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    Nice yes but that is a modded car, I meant the sound straight from the factory.

23. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    I just spent 700 miles along side a 991 Turbo S w/GMG race exhaust and a GT2 RS with GMG full exhaust and I can you for certain, they don't compare to the 488 in sound. That being said, a Turbo engine will never sound like an NA engine. Peace out.

24. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    There's a reason those exhausts had to be modified. Because the stock exhaust sounds like crap. I stand by my comment. My neighbor has a TTS which sounds like absolute garbage compared to my 458, AMG GTS (which is Turbo by the way and and sounds like an old school big block V-8), 991 GT3 and Huracan.

Actually, my leaf blower sounds better than my neighbor's TTS. Peace.

25. PJxxx

PJxxx Karting

Sep 14, 2017
    Full Name:
    PJ Cusano
    What kind of leaf blower do you have? Husqvarna? Those are pretty nice and sound great at high revs but they drone a bit and I have to use ear protectors.

Ash Patel likes this.