Alfa Romeo Giulia | Page 69 | FerrariChat

Alfa Romeo Giulia

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by TheMayor, Nov 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The problem is you can't change it for aftermarket as far as I can see. This is why more are moving to CarPlay. Let Apple deal with the GPS crap,

I had GPS in my 2nd mini. it was so bad I never used it. I just use Waze now.

2. MacGeek

MacGeek Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2007
    Torino, Italy
    GPS on the Ghibli is the same UConnect system that's in Chryslers. So whichever opinion you have about Chrysler's current-gen 8.4" UConnect will apply to the Ghibli as well.

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

I rented a jeep Cherokee 3 weeks ago and it had apple play I think. But the ghibli I am looking at are 2015 so they probably dont have that. Never tried uconnect.

4. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Hey, now! That's the color of mine, and I really like it.

The color changes based upon the lighting level - it can look either blue or grey. And in strong sunlight, the gold metallic flakes dominate. Every person that has seen my car for the first time comments (very) positively about the color.

Perhaps this is one of those deals where you need to see it in person, ideally on a sunny day, before you reach a conclusion about it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

jeffb99tx and carguyjohn350 like this.
  5. MacGeek

MacGeek Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2007
    Torino, Italy
    I haven't reached any conclusion of any kind, just stating the numbers. I do know how Grigio Lipari looks in person.

Boomhauer likes this.
  6. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Still a nice car and I have seen one in person. I can say for sure that if the USAF ordered Giulia's they would be in this color :)

7. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    I wonder if Grigio Lipari was once used on the 166?

8. AbarthDave1

AbarthDave1 Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2015
    Marietta
    I have seen many "buyback" Giulias for sale from dealers. Discounted pricing. I wonder if the Vehicles are sorted out before resale.

Dave

9. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    What year? I’m on the cusp of possibly getting a new 2019 Ti Sport. What’s the consensus, are these cars great or junk?
    Greg

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    They are fixed, but that will be on the cars record for life. A really good value if you don't mind that.

No these cars are not junk at all. Although I am not in love with the BMW like styling on the Giulia but they are very nice cars with a very well designed chassis. I had some BMW guy at work running down a Giulia he had driven and comparing it to his BMW M3 only to find out he had tricked out the suspension and modified his stupid BMW's motor. The Giulia has a superior chassis compared to the new stock BMW when comparing just handling, and they are still pretty rare.

11. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I hear all the accolades re: the Giulia’s handling, but are they always breaking down, that’s the question. I understand the first year 2017s needed software updates but are the 2018/2019 cars good to go? By the way I’ve read this entire thread twice so I’m fairly informed in the car, just looking for updated info

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Check out the reasons for some of the buybacks. I would not want to be a car manufacturer in some of these states. These cars are well made.

13. Monch

Monch Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2012
    I’ve had my QF for almost 2 years. I’ve been to the dealer once for routine service. No other issues. Amazing car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Where can I see these reasons for buybacks? Usually it's because a problem couldn't be fixed 3 times, then the lemon law kicks in--is that what's going on?

My question is---is this only for the 2017 cars--or do the issues extend into 2018/19 model years?

15. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    A lot of reasons. The funniest ones I saw were missing items that were on the window sticker but not on the car. Check the Carfax as the manufacturer has to list the reason.

16. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    I've had my '18 QF for a year and a half and it has been flawless. My only quib is with with the P Zeros which needed replacement after 7000 miles ;).

ryalex likes this.
  17. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
  18. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I drove mine yesterday after neglecting it for a few days as I drive the new-to-me 458 everywhere. The way it pulls from 40-80mph is still surprising. Other cars just stop moving, you weave through like the Matrix. I'm sure other drivers are raising their fist, 'why that darn kid!'

gt4me and stardoc like this.
  19. TMan

TMan Formula Junior

May 13, 2006
    Colorful Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I don't have a QF but I do have an early 2017 Ti with Sport/Perf and after 2 years and 22,000 miles it has been perfect. The best car I've ever owned.
    It's my daily driver through all of the BS that goes along with that and it hasn't skipped a beat. The people I know that have these cars (including a QF) love them. The handling and driving characteristics are far beyond anything it its class.

20. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    That Car and Driver long-term review mentioned above is fairly scathing, re: their QF. Lots of weird electronic niggles. Bad luck that they were issued such a lemon, as this seems not the norm around here. Can anybody speak to how the 4 cylinders compare to the V6 in terms of reliability? Frequency of electronic errors?

Sent from my iPod touch using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
  22. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

2 years on my 2017 qv...still in love. cel a few times but always resets itself. recent software updates. 5k miles of coolness:)

ryalex and G. Pepper like this.
  23. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    sometimes magazines allow for a 2-3' rollout space. This always brings the times down significantly. Even if they did do this the numbers are impressive. 11.8 1/4 miles is good stuff. Shame these seem to be so unreliable it's really scared me off from wanting one.

24. Dai Baracca

Dai Baracca Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    like ANYTHING else the squeeky wheel gets the oil....so all you hear about ESPECIALLY on forums is when people have an issue and then they are up in arms...
    have there been issues, yes, some less than minor, others not so. the biggest issue for Alfa is the dealer network, it is really a crap shoot more so than a Merc/BMW/Audi store, (though there are horror stories about them as well)
    I have had my QV for 30 months, it was a launch car, I had a serious issue at the get-go, BUT that was solved by a competent dealer (Miller) and Alfa NA. since then it has been perfect. it has not been abused nor babied, it has seen track time at LRP, NJMP & MMC, it has gone on long road trips....it has been serviced and been in for software updates....it is no more or less reliable than any of my M cars...
    unfortunately for Alfa the stigma of 25+ years ago seems to hang over their heads.....as long as they don't leave the US market...I'm glad I don't see one on every corner...LOL counted 12 Mercs in my neighborhood this AM, followed by BMW & Audi with the sparse Range Rover

25. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Over 9 mos and 9,000 miles I've had 4-5 CEL errors that weren't real - low oil level, etc. with no symptoms. But I had read about those. Turn the car off, cool then on and it was fine. Sensors?

Funny enough now I trust the car is running just fine even when it displays an error. As documented here, I got the common throttle error the first day I had it and went back for them to clear the code, but I haven't even had to have my first service/oil change yet.

Splitting my daily driving between the QV and the 458 is an awesome blessing. I'm totally spoiled about cars at this point of my life.

John_K_348 and G. Pepper like this.